joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 degrees with the light sand flurries continuing. I've never experienced meaningful FZRN or FZDZ here before. I doubt I will during this storm, but it'd be neat.

As long as 900mb stays like -6C or even -4C/-5C...there's probably going to be flakes..esp near the water where the extra salt nuclei raises the ice crystal genesis temperature. Right now, its like -10C at 900mb, lol. So its got a ways to warm before FZDZ is probably an issue.

They could tend to handle it better and still be wrong. It just means the global models are *more* wrong haha.

Right...mesos almost always handle the CAD better than the global models...but the mesos will still often under-estimate it anyway, even if they are better.

It's more like which model is the least poor in handling it.

As long as 900mb stays like -6C or even -4C/-5C...there's probably going to be flakes..esp near the water where the extra salt nuclei raises the ice crystal genesis temperature. Right now, its like -10C at 900mb, lol. So its got a ways to warm before FZDZ is probably an issue.

Cool, thank you. Since that'll take some time, is it likely that sfc temps will have warmed above freezing by the time that happens? I wouldn't be surprised, I really don't have much FZDZ climo here, it's usually either plain rain or snow.

CF has been interesting to watch today!

Pretty rare to see areas this far south and east hold any kind of cold at all. Very used to these things blow right to KBED area in the blink of an eye. Definitely impressive.

Nice mid winter feel today, if one did not know any better you would think this was a glorious OES 24 hr mood snow prior to the main course of a major coastal. If only...

Archived