joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the precip were to come down heavier would we flip to snow?

Tough to say. If it were generated higher up probably. The precip generated here is more shallow but well below freezing. Also. salt nuclei actually act to lower the temperature for snow flake production. So, you can get some ok flakes at a warmer temperature when you have something like salt particles to help activate ice crystal development.

It's the freaking Bermuda Triangle. If you can.. Always avoid it

I drive from Pepperell, Ma to Hartford twice a week, rte 2, to 190 to 290 to Pike to 84.....I don't think it will be fun tomorrow. I leave the house around 630 am. I have learned to absolutely hate 84. Temp hasn't budged here in Pepperell for hours. Sitting at 24.

I drive from Pepperell, Ma to Hartford twice a week, rte 2, to 190 to 290 to Pike to 84.....I don't think it will be fun tomorrow. I leave the house around 630 am. I have learned to absolutely hate 84. Temp hasn't budged here in Pepperell for hours. Sitting at 24.

Many times once you go down the last hill into Vernon it's a completely different world wx wise as I'm sure youve witnessed. I think tonight it's not doing much in the valley quite yet and the air is hitting the hills and wringing out just enough lift to generate the fzdz . That area is where the elevation goes up. Safe travels tomorrow

Bit of CF enhancement there. Where in Wey do you live?

hires seems to be nailing the snowfall idea for eastern mass. Ive been mobile since about 5 and haven't seen anything since then. With how cold it was.. should accumulate nicely for some. I like the way its setting up.. as coast warms later, might transition to the meat of a coastal front as moisture and lift moves in or so I hope. :weenie:

0.2" new, SN-, 25/21, officially my largest event on record in BOS considering I wasn't around for the Thanksgiving IVT. Looks like another little band trying to set up SE of BOS on radar, and overall we should be able to continue this for a little while I think with the CF being where it is. I'd bet someone in Ern MA picks up a 1" when all's said and done.

Took some pics, but they're pretty bad, I'll try to get some better ones when I go out again to measure and will post some later this evening, ideally will be the better ones though if I can get them to come out.

hires seems to be nailing the snowfall idea for eastern mass. Ive been mobile since about 5 and haven't seen anything since then. With how cold it was.. should accumulate nicely for some. I like the way its setting up.. as coast warms later, might transition to the meat of a coastal front as moisture and lift moves in or so I hope. :weenie:

Yeah i figured more FZDZ and snow grains, but not legit flakes. Must be just enough moisture to help snow flake production in the marginal column.

Many times once you go down the last hill into Vernon it's a completely different world wx wise as I'm sure youve witnessed. I think tonight it's not doing much in the valley quite yet and the air is hitting the hills and wringing out just enough lift to generate the fzdz . That area is where the elevation goes up. Safe travels tomorrow

Heading up 320 out of Storrs always used to be a treat.

Archived