joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

6 hours ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

All I know is I got f ucked regarding precip in the blizzard

Same. I got half a storm lol.

Dry slot from hell, then the deform band totally fizzled as it finally pivoted east. Was not a top 10 storm here, probably not even close. Still, 15" is a really nice event, especially in a  warm winter with only a few other minor events. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 2016 event was a major disappointment to me for 5 reasons:

1.) The media hype from CWG et al was too much.  People were acting like the world was ending around DC yet it was just snow...I'm with crankywxguy in that media hype and the public buying into it is loathsome.

2.) The dryslot was more impressive than modeled and ruined snow totals for so many on this board.  Essentially from I-95 south and east many were left high and dry for hours and some even flipped to light rain.  That was a colossal letdown for so many who has invested almost a week tracking the event. It felt hollow to me as I watch the snow pile up in Gaithersburg while folks just 10 miles away were seeing sun through the clouds.

3.) I believe DCAs observers did not measure the snow correctly which lead to reading far lower than surrounding locations.  I've always been under the opinion that DC's official obs should reside within the District itself, preferably at the White House.

4.) The rapid warm up starting the day after ruined the snow pack.  Only in this region can you get 1 to 3 feet of snow in the middle of January and hit 45 degrees the next day.  How can you enjoy that?

5.) It was a blizzard for only a select few.  In the days leading up to the event, I never saw evidence to suggest a blizzard was heading for us.  The pressure gradient and wind forecasts never appeared that impressive.  From what I've seen only IAD recorded blizzard conditions in the whole of the LWX CWA and unless I am missing something there was no verification of blizzard conditions in the CTP or PHI forecast areas either.  

I admit that my standards can be seen as impossibly high by some, but I prefer top quality or nothing.

Actually the day after the storm was cold- it stayed below freezing. The rapid warm up began after that.

I will agree with the characterization of a blizzard- at least here the wind never materialized. Any low visibility was due to intensity of the snow.

I was in Upper Marlboro for the event, and while the snow definitely stopped around midday and for a few of the afternoon, it started up again and we got a few more inches as the shield rotated out. I'm not complaining because I still ended up with two feet

The Blizzard of 2016 was indisputably the best single storm I’ve experienced....most snow, decently cold temps, and it was the windiest out of the six >20” events in my lifetime in lower Montgomery County. If that storm didn’t hit all buttons where I was at, nothing ever will. 

(DCA verified a blizzard if you used top of the hour obs for 3 pm, 4 pm, and 5 pm to fit the three consecutive hours part of the definition. That’s what CWG used when they made the declaration. IAD did not verify a blizzard because it clearly  missed the three consecutive hour criteria.)

I will be 55 years old in March and grew up in western MD.  January 2016 was the most snow I have ever experienced in a single storm, and surpassed #2 (the first February storm in 2010) by more than 7".  Three feet on the level with drifts of 6-8' common in my neighborhood.  13" in 6 hours in that insane deform band that set up along I-81, on top of the almost two feet that had already fallen.  I hope I get to see it surpassed some day, but I have my doubts.

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I would have liked to see higher rates, but it was a great storm. One of the best I've seen. 

Yeah, west of the Fall Line was where 1/16 was a beast and the I-81 corridor, as WVClimo reminded us, was where it was gobsmackingly good.

I still think that this board would have had a full on meltdown during a repeat of 1/96. The middle bad period of that storm affected more of the area and lasted longer. 

i'm looking forward to a few days in the 50s, mostly because i don't like the cold.  couple minor events...got some stickage yesterday.  weak storms but passable for early december.  it's game on, now.  no excuses.  the next event later this month needs to lay down a blanket.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived