Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do so many people care if we torch on Xmas?

I feel like its almost becoming a tradition of sorts to walk around in short sleeves saying "where is the cold?"I think we saw 70's last year, 60's the year before.

I simply don't care about Xmas being warm. Tell me Jan-Feb will be warm, I'll flip. But Xmas? Get over it.

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I believe this is what they call the prelude to disaster. 

Can you imagine if the last week and a half are the only winter we’ll get until deep into January?

Well its not as bad as last year. Winter never started.

Best bet is really to set expectations at 2-4 inches as a seasonal total for the year. Then anything else will be a pleasant shock.

6 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I feel like its almost becoming a tradition of sorts to walk around in short sleeves saying "where is the cold?"I think we saw 70's last year, 60's the year before.

I simply don't care about Xmas being warm. Tell me Jan-Feb will be warm, I'll flip. But Xmas? Get over it.

You're right. I never thought of it that way.  

4 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I agree with you. We have better odds of getting snow on Dec 5th than we do of getting snow on Christmas. I'd rather have snow during our peak climo when you don't need as much cold air to support snow. We're already having a pretty good winter, and judging by our past winters which over performed in a mere 2 months, there's nothing to worry about

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I wouldn’t be doing my job if I wasn’t trying to pluck the low hanging fruit.

On a serious note though, apparently this would be the fifth or sixth year in a row with a Grinch Christmas storm or warmup in the east. I don’t like punting half a decade but I guess I don’t have a choice.

Personally, I don’t like ceding ground at all when it comes to winter. We torch enough the other three seasons and I’m about the only one here who likes heat. They don’t sing I’m dreaming of a torched Christmas. 

Yes, Jan and Feb are prime times for us, but there’s something significant about now that’s pinned inside of a lot of east coasters (where it snows) during the holiday season. Maybe it’s hot chocolate with a grandparent on a cold day..going to get a Christmas tree with the family as light snow falls, or a snowball fight with siblings or family. I think we all have some holiday season wx memory we want to replicate even if that memory wasn’t built here.

Christmas 2013 was cold, not like that changes the fact the season sucks with winter most years

11 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I agree with you. We have better odds of getting snow on Dec 5th than we do of getting snow on Christmas. I'd rather have snow during our peak climo when you don't need as much cold air to support snow. We're already having a pretty good winter, and judging by our past winters which over performed in a mere 2 months, there's nothing to worry about

We are having an average winter so far..  I think average Dec snowfall at DCA is 3 inches. If it doesn't snow again and temps go above normal for an extended stretch then there is nothing special about this December other than it's been better than the last couple which were disasters. December 25th is nearing peak climo.  It's more than just the holiday factor iits the fact that warm on dec 25th of this potential magnitude just sucks.  Anyone here who says it doesn't matter is just making themselves feel better.  I get that but few are really rooting for warm and wet.  Why would you even be here at all?  Just my 2cents.  

Just now, Clueless said:

Christmas torch should be a tradition around here. I saw more snow in the past few weeks than I did all last winter. This alone makes December a win in my book.  I’ll start to panic mid-Jan as usual.  

Yes it is, you want the festivus pole warm anyway for the ladies. My potential date with the reaper is January 15th that never changes.

4 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I will comment on the Xmas weather part. I like what I am seeing on the EPS. temps in the low to mid 40s is perfect. I would also prefer a sunny day. Expectations in check.

As for snow, realistically the chances of a white Xmas have moved from slim to none IMO, based on the currently advertised h5 look. Not moving in the right direction. Not sure we score anything the following week either. +NAO and a (probably more persistent than modeled) SER doesn't make me feel all tingly about snow chances.

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

70 plus on Xmas looking at the Euro.  Has to be with that look

Euro op was completely hideous, but I am sticking with seasonable for Xmas. Even low 50s is fine with me. Still think the generally crappy look will stick around longer than some here will be able to tolerate. SE ridge looks stubborn.

007 is in business.

We just finished off the last of the tomatoes frozen from this growing season. Probably had about of 25 lbs of cored and seeded tomatoes, so I can’t complain, but they went damn fast this year.

One full batch of canned salsa and multiple Bolognese sauces have all been awesome (not to mention the fresh maters we used during the season), but it’s going to be a long wait until I start harvesting next year’s crop in July!

19 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

PV tilted off its axis more than usual at 10mb. New Low pressure in Siberia, which may throw previous thoughts about Stratospheric warming off.

Well done Siberian Vortex. That's about as believable as my not able to trade Futures. 

Northern plains, lakes, Midwest will get serious cold...ours will be muted by shallow intrusion and lack of snowcover...we will celebrate our lows that will be the highs further NW.  it’s just the way it is here. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived