joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG...  What the H*LL is up on the Mid-Long Range 2 with all the thoughts about a warm Christmas being acceptable?  Even the mere hint of the concept normally puts most all die-hards here into convulsions, myself included, a mere weenie wannabe.  It's Christmas!  It's suppose to snow, sleet, zr or at least be cold!  Anything as long as it resembles Winter, and the worse Mother Nature can muster the better.

When I read the pseudo banter insinuating anything other than cold and winter is "ok" I about spit out my Dinkelaker.  No doubt the models are flipping around like a freshly landed trout, but we've got to preserve the fortitude and will power to keep the r/sn line below us to stay on the cold side, the exciting side, and away from the warm side, which is obviously the BORING side!

For those with travel plans and/or inbound family for Christmas, my regrets for appearing inconsiderate of your family plans.  But think of how memorable a SECS, MECS, HECS or BECS would be for future memories?  Let's hold faith and our composure, please!

2 minutes ago, RDM said:

OMG...  What the H*LL is up on the Mid-Long Range 2 with all the thoughts about a warm Christmas being acceptable?  Even the mere hint of the concept normally puts most all die-hards here into convulsions, myself included, a mere weenie wannabe.  It's Christmas!  It's suppose to snow, sleet, zr or at least be cold!  Anything as long as it resembles Winter, and the worse Mother Nature can muster the better.

When I read the pseudo banter insinuating anything other than cold and winter is "ok" I about spit out my Dinkelaker.  No doubt the models are flipping around like a freshly landed trout, but we've got to preserve the fortitude and will power to keep the r/sn line below us to stay on the cold side, the exciting side, and away from the warm side, which is obviously the BORING side!

For those with travel plans and/or inbound family for Christmas, my regrets for appearing inconsiderate of your family plans.  But think of how memorable a SECS, MECS, HECS or BECS would be for future memories?  Let's hold faith and our composure, please!

The issue is, it seems as if all of our warmups in December occur during Christmas or near Christmas. Only think Christmas of 2010 was actually cold compared to the last 7 Christmases. Heck, we've gotten what, 5 December 5th snow accumulations for DCA this century, but only something like 1 actually accumulating snowfall on Christmas day. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

The issue is, it seems as if all of our warmups in December occur during Christmas or near Christmas. Only think Christmas of 2010 was actually cold compared to the last 7 Christmases. Heck, we've gotten what, 5 December 5th snow accumulations for DCA this century, but only something like 1 actually accumulating snowfall on Christmas day. 

Rgr Cobalt - I get the correlation to Christmas and the odds, at least for around here.  What I'm surprised about is the concept that warm weather is ok during any portion of Winter.  In my book, "warm" in Winter is any temperature too warm to support snow, sleet or pellets.  Even a nice CAD with sleet or zfr is perfectly acceptable.  Plain ole rain should be reserved for the other 8 months of the year not considered "winter" (recently,  March has been somewhat consistently a part of winter for us). 

My banter and hint of disdain is in good jest, of course.  However, I will forever refuse to give up on any day during Winter, no matter what the historical odds dictate.  Maybe growing up in Ohio in the early/mid 60's when we frequently had a white Christmas instilled in me the fundamental premise that we're just supposed to have snow on Christmas.  Dunno. 

I do know when living in India and Thailand during my various stints overseas there was something profoundly missing during Christmas and New Year's because there was absolutely zero chance of having snow.  Not having any chance was a definite downer, verses having SOME chance, ANY chance, albeit a small chance around here.  As long as there is SOME chance, I'll preserve it, hope for it, and worship it when it happens...  

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I've accepted that I will never see snow on Christmas -either on the ground, or falling - again in my lifetime.  

Come-on brother, don't give up!  We can't ever give up!  Ever!  Unless of course you're trying reverse psychology against Mother Nature.  If there's even anecdotal evidence of such a tactic working, then I'm all game.  I did refrain from installing the front blade on my Kubota until after the snow was on the ground on the 9th.  Didn't want to jinx it for anyone... 

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Come-on brother, don't give up!  We can't ever give up!  Ever!  Unless of course you're trying reverse psychology against Mother Nature.  If there's even anecdotal evidence of such a tactic working, then I'm all game.  I did refrain from installing the front blade on my Kubota until after the snow was on the ground on the 9th.  Didn't want to jinx it for anyone... 

No reverse psychology, just the realization that I live on the East Coast, south of 40, in the heart of the SE ridge.

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I've accepted that I will never see snow on Christmas -either on the ground, or falling - again in my lifetime.  

Hey take heart, terrible drought here in PNW.  Portland airport looks on track to break the record for driest December on record. This will be my 4th Christmas here and the first one that looks unlikely to be white? unless this weeks storm shows up.  Cold and dry, dry with endless sunshine, very strange December !   

36 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

No reverse psychology, just the realization that I live on the East Coast, south of 40, in the heart of the SE ridge.

Darn...   Was hoping you had a special formula.  Having called NVA home since 85, I admit it is far too often reality.  I just try to find a way to preserve hope, even if hope is all there is.  Whatever happens the remainder of this year, it's already better than last.  Don't ever want to relive that again...    

It's ironic and laughable how the Christmas long range outlook trended from a thread the needle snow/perfect White Christmas setup to a strong CAD signal with ice a possibility to now staring potentially the mildest day of the entire month square in the face. Glad it will look different again over the next several runs :-)

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It's ironic and laughable how the Christmas long range outlook trended from a thread the needle snow/perfect White Christmas setup to a strong CAD signal with ice a possibility to now staring potentially the mildest day of the entire month square in the face. Glad it will look different again over the next several runs :-)

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Even if it doesn't, by the time Christmas comes we'll either be eyeballing a snowstorm/major cold pattern, or we'll be experiencing the start of one during Christmas day

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

For the record I think Christmas day in my hood is high temp of 38 with a steady rain early tapering off mid morning in time for me to ride my new bicycle that Santa better bring me

That reminds me of the Christmas when I got a bike and it was raining early and then sunny and really windy in the afternoon. I also vividly remember being secretly super-disappointed that I got a white Sears Free Spirit and not a Scwhinn Varsity like my older brother had gotten in Christmas past.

What a brat.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived