Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

172 posts? Yeah. While doing homework? Nah, I believe he is on winter break.  

Good man. Only bet on a sure thing. 

I just got on Winter break. Like I said, my grades take a tumble during winter when stuff like this distracts me. Luckily (if you want to consider it lucky) in the past 3 years I've really followed the weather to the extent I have, only big events were the Blizzard of 2016, and the March 13-14 2017 event. Maybe Presidents day 2016 event as well. Both Presidents day and March 13-14 events happened on a Monday, so much tracking happened during the weekend anyways. I was kind of  tracking snow events during the 14/15 season, but that was mainly Weather.com/Capital weather gang. On Tuesdays and Fridays, I have a 1 hour free period, so I try to get most of my homework done during those times. It also doesn't help that this winter has gotten off to such a darn good start :lol:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I just got on Winter break. Like I said, my grades take a tumble during winter when stuff like this distracts me. Luckily (if you want to consider it lucky) in the past 3 years I've really followed the weather to the extent I have, only big events were the Blizzard of 2016, and the March 13-14 2017 event. Maybe Presidents day 2016 event as well. Both Presidents day and March 13-14 events happened on a Monday, so much tracking happened during the weekend anyways. I was kind of  tracking snow events during the 14/15 season, but that was mainly Weather.com/Capital weather gang. On Tuesdays and Fridays, I have a 1 hour free period, so I try to get most of my homework done during those times. It also doesn't help that this winter has gotten off to such a darn good start :lol:

All I can say is, Keep your grades up. Otherwise you will be following models and commenting on weatherboards during your breaks between cleaning urinals at your day job. ;)

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I'm guessing you mean since the models had astronomically high totals forecast and we got just typical "HECS" totals. I feel ya. If the HRRR was right, MBY would've probably gotten 30" of snow. I measured 25.5" (minus compaction, so probably closer to 27" or maybe 28"), but it's still hard to be disappointed by big storms. Jumping off my deck into a huge snow drift is one of the best memories I've had in recent years. So much snow even your dogs don't know what to do :lol:

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 2016 event was a huge disappointment to me on so many levels but we can take that discussion to the banter thread.

9 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Looking back at the Blizzard of 2016 always gives me a happy feeling. Those storms that last a long duration are amazing. I remember looking at the HRRR through 3am, and it had points West of DC with 1' of snow accumulation, and of course there was still 18 hours of snowfall left. I'm sure we'll experience one of those types of events within 4 years. Events like that where everything initially sticks are perfect. Nothing hurts as much as waiting for snow to make the ground cold enough to support accumulation. Some of our storms bust just because of that

The 2016 event was a major disappointment to me for 5 reasons:

1.) The media hype from CWG et al was too much.  People were acting like the world was ending around DC yet it was just snow...I'm with crankywxguy in that media hype and the public buying into it is loathsome.

2.) The dryslot was more impressive than modeled and ruined snow totals for so many on this board.  Essentially from I-95 south and east many were left high and dry for hours and some even flipped to light rain.  That was a colossal letdown for so many who has invested almost a week tracking the event. It felt hollow to me as I watch the snow pile up in Gaithersburg while folks just 10 miles away were seeing sun through the clouds.

3.) I believe DCAs observers did not measure the snow correctly which lead to reading far lower than surrounding locations.  I've always been under the opinion that DC's official obs should reside within the District itself, preferably at the White House.

4.) The rapid warm up starting the day after ruined the snow pack.  Only in this region can you get 1 to 3 feet of snow in the middle of January and hit 45 degrees the next day.  How can you enjoy that?

5.) It was a blizzard for only a select few.  In the days leading up to the event, I never saw evidence to suggest a blizzard was heading for us.  The pressure gradient and wind forecasts never appeared that impressive.  From what I've seen only IAD recorded blizzard conditions in the whole of the LWX CWA and unless I am missing something there was no verification of blizzard conditions in the CTP or PHI forecast areas either.  

I admit that my standards can be seen as impossibly high by some, but I prefer top quality or nothing.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 2016 event was a major disappointment to me for 5 reasons:

1.) The media hype from CWG et al was too much.  People were acting like the world was ending around DC yet it was just snow...I'm with crankywxguy in that media hype and the public buying into it is loathsome.

2.) The dryslot was more impressive than modeled and ruined snow totals for so many on this board.  Essentially from I-95 south and east many were left high and dry for hours and some even flipped to light rain.  That was a colossal letdown for so many who has invested almost a week tracking the event. It felt hollow to me as I watch the snow pile up in Gaithersburg while folks just 10 miles away were seeing sun through the clouds.

3.) I believe DCAs observers did not measure the snow correctly which lead to reading far lower than surrounding locations.  I've always been under the opinion that DC's official obs should reside within the District itself, preferably at the White House.

4.) The rapid warm up starting the day after ruined the snow pack.  Only in this region can you get 1 to 3 feet of snow in the middle of January and hit 45 degrees the next day.  How can you enjoy that?

5.) It was a blizzard for only a select few.  In the days leading up to the event, I never saw evidence to suggest a blizzard was heading for us.  The pressure gradient and wind forecasts never appeared that impressive.  From what I've seen only IAD recorded blizzard conditions in the whole of the LWX CWA and unless I am missing something there was no verification of blizzard conditions in the CTP or PHI forecast areas either.  

I admit that my standards can be seen as impossibly high by some, but I prefer top quality or nothing.

I see where you're coming from. I remember in the CWG flashback post for a 5 year anniversary of the Blizzard of 2009, some storms are seen as "perfect storms", where there's no dry slot from start to end, the storms stays below 32 degrees throughout the entire event, and it's cold for at least 5 or more days after the event, and no changeover of any sort.  Pretty sure the Blizzard of 2009 is the only event to do all of that in the district. both Blizzards of Feb 2010 were of course above freezing for part of the events, Blizzard of 2016 of course had the dry slot (I'm pretty sure it never stopped snowing here), and the Blizzard of 2003 changed over to sleet. It's tough to accomplish all of that in the District, and especially DCA.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived