Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Joshfsu123 said:

Looking forward to the 12z runs - DC needs a 25 mile shift east with most guidance. Interested to see if the GFS holds firm and if any other models join with it (and if he EURO holds last night's decent run).

Gonna be a nowcast event but just 25 miles could make a huge difference for DC area.

With the trend recently I'd say it's fairly safe to say that DC is going to have some serious mixing. RGEM is usually pretty good at this range. Still think this storm will be pretty high impact most areas but DC is pretty precarious at this time. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kmlwx said:

With the trend recently I'd say it's fairly safe to say that DC is going to have some serious mixing. RGEM is usually pretty good at this range. Still think this storm will be pretty high impact most areas but DC is pretty precarious at this time. 

RGEM has been awful our "winter storms". Was the farthest NW outlier on 1/7.

2 minutes ago, Joshfsu123 said:

Looking forward to the 12z runs - DC needs a 25 mile shift east with most guidance. Interested to see if the GFS holds firm and if any other models join with it (and if he EURO holds last night's decent run).

Gonna be a nowcast event but just 25 miles could make a huge difference for DC area.

Yeah.  I think an all, or mostly, snow event is off the table for us now that even the GFS doesn't show that but I could see something like the 3k NAM which would be 2-4 followed be mix/rain and then another inch tomorrow AM.  

A 25 mile east nudge at the last minute is definitely not impossible. But then again, east coast storms often like to nudge west at the last minute. Definitely going to be "interesting" to watch the short range guidance like the HRRR try to pin down the areas that mix or changeover. Dual-pol will be cool to watch for mixing...hard to believe before dual-pol we had to rely on potentially inaccurate ground truth and guesses on rain/snow radars. 

10 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah.  I think an all, or mostly, snow event is off the table for us now that even the GFS doesn't show that but I could see something like the 3k NAM which would be 2-4 followed be mix/rain and then another inch tomorrow AM.  

Oh yeah, agreed. Really, any small shift east would help us stay sleet (instead of rain) or keep the switch over shorter... that's my goal. So hopefully we can get some tracks like GFS and things end up shorter with the switchover. My area is a little higher elevation and about a degree cooler than surrounding area... so maybe that'll help. LOL.

I'm expecting a couple inches on the front, a lot of mixing and raining (freezing rain? in between) and another inch or two at the end. A nice storm and considering this year, I'm just happy to get something.

2 minutes ago, Joshfsu123 said:

Oh yeah, agreed. Really, any small shift east would help us stay sleet (instead of rain) or keep the switch over shorter... that's my goal. So hopefully we can get some tracks like GFS and things end up shorter with the switchover. My area is a little higher elevation and about a degree cooler than surrounding area... so maybe that'll help. LOL.

I'm expecting a couple inches on the front, a lot of mixing and raining (freezing rain? in between) and another inch or two at the end. A nice storm and considering this year, I'm just happy to get something.

Yeah it's been fun to track this one for sure.  It would be amazing if the 12z runs shifted this thing 50 miles east but it seems like everything's been trending in the other direction for 24-36 hours.  The Euro snowmap has an impressively tight gradient, 14 inches for northern Montgomery county and like 3 inches for southern PG.  

For those who have 'Faith in the Flakes'. Here's Justin Berk's very aggressive call. Hope he is right but I think through the DC/Balt corridor sleet will take a huge chunk of those totals down in the 6-12 zone and the 3-6 ranges will see mostly sleet and rain with some front end snow. Here's hoping I am wrong.

Screen-2017-03-13-05_17_29.jpeg

DCA (My interpretation)

06 UT GFS vs 00 UT EURO 

Differences in sensible weather between 06 UT GFS and 00 UT Euro are not that large. 

Both show the event starting around 8 PM with surface temperatures in mid 30s and 850 temperatures near -4C. 

Both show quick transition from rain to moderate snow with ~2" by 2 AM. 

Both show 850 temperatures warming through the night and peaking around 5 AM at 34-35 F.

Both show maximum QPF between 2 and 8 AM 0.32/0.38 for Euro and 0.48/0.43 for GFS.  Yes, the most intense rates will occur when 850 temperatures are highest. Some snow, lots of sleet, some rain. However, transition to all snow seems likely by 8 AM. 

Both show surface temperatures dropping from 35 to 32 between 8 PM and 2 AM, rising to 34 by 5 AM, and then falling to 32 by 11 AM. Euro shows 2 PM highs of ~35 while GFS holds highs down to 33. 

Both show moderate snow from 8 to noon or so (perhaps 1-3") 

Both show occasional light snow/flurries from noon to 8 PM

Posted this in banter, but

OK -- I have to get some much needed real work done. If some cleaning up is needed and one of the other mods isn't around, please @ me here and I will get a notification pop up to let me know. 

Please try and moderate yourselves! Think before you post :) 

Just wanted to add that I've seen many maps that actually closely mirror Justin Berk's. I also saw basically every local station's futurecast this morning and none of them have mixing in Baltimore. There was some brief mixing in DC. I was surprised by that, though I know they aren't always the most reliable.

14 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

For those who have 'Faith in the Flakes'. Here's Justin Berk's very aggressive call. Hope he is right but I think through the DC/Balt corridor sleet will take a huge chunk of those totals down in the 6-12 zone and the 3-6 ranges will see mostly sleet and rain with some front end snow. Here's hoping I am wrong.

Screen-2017-03-13-05_17_29.jpeg

Move the SE portion of the 3-6 swath a bit north and narrow the 6-12 swath and I don't think that map looks too bad.

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Just wanted to add that I've seen many maps that actually closely mirror Justin Berk's. I also saw basically every local station's futurecast this morning and none of them have mixing in Baltimore. There was some brief mixing in DC. I was surprised by that, though I know they aren't always the most reliable.

Don't get me wrong because I do like Berk. But he relies heavily on the CMC for his forecasts which quite often burns him. As far as the local stations and their forecasts. Quite often they are one step behind when it comes to what the models are showing. Which is a good thing in the longer ranges because you don't want to follow every wobble they make. But when you get within 24 hours and much of the guidance is slipping away that delay is much more noticeable. 

I am going to put it out there that the northern energy portion of this storm will push the coastal portion further east and we will get hit harder than currently predicted more in line with what was predicted yesterday and what you seeing  in the 3K HRRR run.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Despite my morning melt in the banter thread, I still think there's a chance this ends up further east. Not a high likelihood given that we're under 24 from onset, but a 25-50 mile variation in track wouldn't be outrageous despite how it'd impact sensible wx in our corner of the globe. What happens in the midlevels though is going to be more important IMO. 

The "fun" in this storm is we really don't have a solid sense of what'll happen along 95. 

Yeah, with most snow storms there is always uncertainly, but I feel like this one it really is a big question mark, anything from 0-15 inches is a good guess for the big cities. I have never seen such a gradient.

Well, when was the last time we had a March storm with this kind of cold? Lots of single digits and teens north of us. This isn't our usual borderline situation where we are at 35 already hoping that some chilly 32 degree air in Upstate NY somehow makes it down in time... As this storm kicks up it has some cold air to tap.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The cold is certainly legit, but even that might not be enough for folks along and just east of 95 to produce here. Remember a few days when none of us were worried about temps? lol

This has been a fascinating setup at least. Really interested to see how that southern low cranks today. 

I think for us near the cities, we will need the WAA to over perform.  I think thats key.  the NAMs all seem to have a pretty uneventful WAA and we are stuck waiting for the deform when temps crash.  That to me is a recipe for disaster.

Archived