Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Thanks, but we don't need some ne'er do well from NC giving us updates on a terrible ensemble model.

You are welcome.  I don't like the SREF's either.  However, the 12z nam looks much better than 6z.  Slightly better 850's and more precip gets in there before any potential changeover.  Through 18

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

NAM looks like 0.3-0.4" before the flip just after midnight.  At least that's IWM's take on the precip type.

Interesting...flip to more sleet or all rain?  Saw Deck Pic mentioned the latest RAP had a similar "flip" with good precip before then, though sounds like the NAM is a bit earlier on that.

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is subtle, but the NAM is colder.  Still goes to sleet in the DC beltway area, but not flirting with rain.

That's what I was curious about...if things have to flip, would rather sleet or sleet/snow than going to all cold rain for a few hours.

ETA:  I think most of us in and around the 95 corridor are resigned to some kind of change over almost regardless of anything.  But hope to maximize as best as possible.

1 minute ago, packfan98 said:

You are welcome.  I don't like the SREF's either.  However, the 12z nam looks much better than 6z.  Slightly better 850's and more precip gets in there before any potential changeover.  Through 18

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

I could be wrong, but I think we have people who actually live here looking at the models for our region.  If we need an assist, we'll let you know.

Just now, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Which NAM should we be looking at 3K or 4K?

Probably 3km since it will be operational soon, but I don't think many of us know it's biases yet.

The 12z op NAM is a snow to sleet storm.  We lose the sounding from 800 to 850.  Still, no rain and the surface stays at or below freezing.  Nice winter event and good for closings.

3 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

12k NAM looks a lot better for MBY and those of us in Fairfax County.  At least it doesn't flip us to rain.  Still jackpots those West of us, but don't they always jackpot?

yes.  It looks better for W PWC as well.  I don't think we go to straight rain.  but cannot afford a west jump that's for sure.  I'd be happy with 2-4

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Coarser resolution NAM has a warm layer at 800mb that gets as far west as FDK early tomorrow. But cold below it. Looks like ripping sleet verbatim. But as MN said, the high res versions are more worth our time here.

Ripping sleet is right.  06z-12z would be all sleet, with 0.7-0.9" qpf across the DC Beltway.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Coarser resolution NAM has a warm layer at 800mb that gets as far west as FDK early tomorrow. But cold below it. Looks like ripping sleet verbatim. But as MN said, the high res versions are more worth our time here.

12z 4km NAM has it ripping snow in our area 00z to 02z (as far as it out right now)

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah - I consider it a win...hopefully the cousins come in better and maybe this is the end of the NW trend of the low.  

It would have been a really big red flag for I-95 if the NAM (which was always on the NW envelope of guidance and actually performed best with the R/S line...heh) stayed course or pumped even further NW at 12z. 

Archived