Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

Looking at the HRRR and other short range models, I sort of feel like the GFS is missing the southwestern extent of precip this run. Doesn't make sense based on other short range models. 

Isn't that where we should be looking now anyway?  I know we will look at Euro but after that it just short range and eyeballs.

13 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

I love it, but we all know what's going to happen. By the time this thing's all said and done, the NW crew will have 12-18" and the cities will have 4-6".

This. I'm in a favorable area for storms. Things will wobble but at the end of the day we'll see mostly snow and those that usually get morel, will. Those that usually mix or miss, will. It's hyperlocal experience that models don't account for.

35 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That is my recollection also.  2 or 3 to 1.

I read something a while ago that it ranges from 2-1 to 4-1 depending on factors like is the sleet mixed with freezing rain at all, and of course is the sleet partially mixed with snow, if the flakes do not totally melt but turn to slush bombs then refreeze that can have 4 to 1 ratios as they are chunky and thicker, and on the flip side if its 90% sleet with some rain mixed in and totally melted refrozen drops then its closer to 2-1.  3-1 is probably a good average as a general rule.  

Archived