Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's a good run IMO. When the heaviest precip is here DC proper is right on the line at the surface and 850 (might be a warm layer in there) but I don't see rain verbatim. 

Yea, worst case is a sleetfest for a time. When I'm fully expecting sleet (and I am with this one) it's actually a fun part of the storm. Makes a ruckus and has serious staying power as long as we don't torch in the days following. Which doesn't look like the case at all. The best advice I can give those who get sleet (and there will be a lot of us) is to just embrace it and enjoy it. Way better than a pile of rain. Which is still possible but seeming less likely until you get closer to SoMD. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don't think the "para NAM" from TT is actually the para NAM.  Not sure what it is, but it doesn't line up well with the info available from NCEP.  Here is the 48hr precip panel from the actual para NAM.

nam_namer_048_precip_p48.thumb.gif.095ab376d088bd1d1bd4842686635980.gif

Wow. That looks way different from the maps I was seeing. And it is A LOT of precip out this way.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don't think the "para NAM" from TT is actually the para NAM.  Not sure what it is, but it doesn't line up well with the info available from NCEP.  Here is the 48hr precip panel from the actual para NAM.

You didn't click on the right one. It's the NAM-Hires

http://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam-hires/12/nam-hires_conus_048_precip_p48.gif

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Unless I've missed it, TT doesn't have the para NAM.  They have the 3km NAM which is the inner nest of the para NAM (like the 4km NAM is the inner nest of the current NAM).  So, you are seeing the difference between the para NAM and the para 3km NAM.

4 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

As in trends or the pivot?

He's referring to a cold trend. Not the pivot. 

But Mitchnick - I'm not sure that a lot of guidance is heading substantially colder - if anything I think we've warmed a touch on a lot of guidance. 

18 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That is the 12k Para Nam, the one on TT is the new 3k higher resolution nest of the para NAM that is replacing the 4k version of the old 12k Nam.  Ugh sorry hope I explained that good, so many NAM's its confusing.  At least after the 15th it gets simpler and we will only have 2, the para becomes the new 12k parent NAM and the 3K becomes the high res, the old nam and 4k are discontinued.  

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, worst case is a sleetfest for a time. When I'm fully expecting sleet (and I am with this one) it's actually a fun part of the storm. Makes a ruckus and has serious staying power as long as we don't torch in the days following. Which doesn't look like the case at all. The best advice I can give those who get sleet (and there will be a lot of us) is to just embrace it and enjoy it. Way better than a pile of rain. Which is still possible but seeming less likely until you get closer to SoMD. 

Hoping we stay more Sleet down toward EZF and Spotsy. Rather than just go over to plain rain, 1 inch of Snow then 2 inches of sleet then 1 inch of snow on top would be a nice outcome down this way.

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

What would you think when you see this panel ending @ 12z?

gem_mslp_pcpn_neus_4.png

Its ok BOB that map is misleading, but its because the GGEM uses a different metric to produce that map.  For the GFS and most others I think it uses average precip rate over the period, but the GGEM uses what it is doing exactly right there.  So at that moment DC is in a dryslot but was probably getting pounded by that band to the northeast most of the previous 6 hours and is likely about to get in on the deform just to the west.  The GGEM looks bad because it happened to capture a bad moment.  

Archived