Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would expect at least SOME mixing (sleet) to occur anywhere southeast of a line from Washington VA to Ashburn to Reisterstown, to Hereford.  Once about 10 miles southeast of 95 the mixing could become the majority of the storm.  But in the transition zone (which includes about 80% of the population of this board) I can see the totals ranging from 5-10" depending on exactly how much thump we get before a flip, and how long it sleets, and how much deform after.  Northwest of that line I think is 10"+ at least from Leesburg northeast.   I could also see how this flips in our favor if that deform band wraps up and just unleashes on us and the thermals suddenly crash and everyone ends up happy.  Don't expect it but holding out hope is ok.   

Well said. My biggest takeaway from the 12z guidance is the possibility of significant sleet accumulation for those of us in that middle zone. 1-2" of sleet perhaps? That's actually kind of fun (assuming we have nice snow before and after).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Except the problem is you're using snow maps to diagnose trends better diagnosed by other panels and parameters. 

I'm not saying there isn't a trend but you could have picked many better maps to show your point. There could easily be a ton of sleet in borderline areas - and those snow maps are often overdone anyway. 

I shared his link! 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I realize that...

But are you saying that you were not trying to show the trends using snow maps? I'm just confused as to what you are trying to say...no hard feelings!

I added more text for your critique.

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Just cause I'm bored here at the soundings for 18, 21, and 24 hours on the GFS.  18 is probably still snow with rates, 21 is probably sleet but not a disgusting sounding, and 24 is back to snow.  Let's hope it's right. 

GFS_3_2017031312_F18_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

GFS_3_2017031312_F21_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

GFS_3_2017031312_F24_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

That is a noteworthy sounding!  The warm layer appears quite shallow in depth.

13 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Just cause I'm bored here at the soundings for 18, 21, and 24 hours on the GFS.  18 is probably still snow with rates, 21 is probably sleet but not a disgusting sounding, and 24 is back to snow.  Let's hope it's right. 

To piggy back on this, pivotal has the Kuchera ratio maps.  I think it's pretty useless when trying to figure out if you are going to be getting really high ratios, but it can be useful for determining where mixing could occur.  The maps can give you a broader picture instead of clicking on individual soundings all over the place, and can help compare an old run to a new model run.  You can just hover the cursor over the area and it will give you the ratio.  Anything less than 8:1 would surely be mixing.  Here's hr 18 of the GFS as an example:

ratioku.us_ma.png

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Low position on euro at 12z tomorrow is essentially identical to GFS and GGEM. Has a weird middle finger of 850 0c line over D.C. and Carroll county and then below 0c east of there. 

That middle finger might be a sign of lower rates the lower temps east probably in death bands. 

18 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

To piggy back on this, pivotal has the Kuchera ratio maps.  I think it's pretty useless when trying to figure out if you are going to be getting really high ratios, but it can be useful for determining where mixing could occur.  The maps can give you a broader picture instead of clicking on individual soundings all over the place, and can help compare an old run to a new model run.  You can just hover the cursor over the area and it will give you the ratio.  Anything less than 8:1 would surely be mixing.  Here's hr 18 of the GFS as an example:

ratioku.us_ma.png

Nice map! You can see the different "zones" pretty well. Looks like:

10-15 miles SE of DC perhaps mix and rain issues

DC mix but still has to be periods of decent snow

just west of DC stays probably mostly snow with some mix for sure 

and past bluemont, va good bet whole event is snow

3 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

We're roughly T-6 from onset and still an wide spread in terms of solutions. 

Not really. 95 east mix 2-6". West of 95 6+". That's what the models have converged upon. It's easy to get caught up in little details and think they are huge differences at this point when in reality they make little difference in the grand scheme of things. 

Archived