Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TWC's map is weird. 8-12 for Baltimore, which is bullish but matches well with a lot of local forecasts, but only 8-12 for NYC and Philly. Seems very odd.

I was going to post something about thundersnow. I guess that's pretty much off the table now? I remember people being real excited about us getting some insane snow rates and thunder snow a day or two ago. I think I even saw a GFS output where we got like a foot of snow in 3 hours.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

TWC's map is weird. 8-12 for Baltimore, which is bullish but matches well with a lot of local forecasts, but only 8-12 for NYC and Philly. Seems very odd.

I was going to post something about thundersnow. I guess that's pretty much off the table now? I remember people being real excited about us getting some insane snow rates and thunder snow a day or two ago. I think I even saw a GFS output where we got like a foot of snow in 3 hours.

It moved west.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah H triple R looks great, but like Mitch said, doesn't it always at this time?  I mean I'd love for that run to be right. If we're still hanging on to snow at 2am, it's a win, but those pinks are coming

I was gonna say, the HRRR is 2-3" for DC with the mix line on the doorstep and the 2m temps increasing.  It frankly seems to be in line with the others.

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah H triple R looks great, but like Mitch said, doesn't it always at this time?  I mean I'd love for that run to be right. If we're still hanging on to snow at 2am, it's a win, but those pinks are coming

I agree. If the low headed northeast from there, we'd have a shot, but it's going to move N or NNE.

46 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Despite my morning melt in the banter thread, I still think there's a chance this ends up further east.

that's called a wishcast

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Well, when was the last time we had a March storm with this kind of cold? Lots of single digits and teens north of us. This isn't our usual borderline situation where we are at 35 already hoping that some chilly 32 degree air in Upstate NY somehow makes it down in time... As this storm kicks up it has some cold air to tap.

the problem with that is the screaming E and SE flow aloft; it's not tapping cold air to the N until it passes and then you're looking for wrap around.  but that wrap around is more realistic up near you as long as the low isn't tucked too close.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I love that I am included in that. (Just barely). But that tells me they like my chances of getting into the heaviest banding.

I'm pretty excited for this one....It's not very common that these kind of dynamics extend into our zones. I'm usually sweating the fringe but I feel pretty good where we sit right now.  I sense a sleepless night ahead.... 

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The para is stellar, but it feels like it is on an island at this point.  I love the look of the 850 temps at 12z, really shows where it is pounding.

Legitimately curious about this statement, why does it feel like it's on an island? The GFS and Euro both somewhat support that type of setup too, don't they? As does the HRRR?

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It would be cool for once if things broke our way as the event played out. NYC has had a number of storms in the past where they are forecasted to get little and they end up getting a huge snowstorm.

Unfortunately that's probably because it was progged more offshore and ended up coming west. 

I think PSU mention yesterday or day before that unfortunately the blocking deteriorated a little too early. Otherwise a little more blocking and we'd probably have a slightly better track and not one trying to hug inside the coast

For those interested, NCAR runs an experimental convection-allowing ensemble prediction system which can be found here: https://ensemble.ucar.edu

It is an ensemble of 3-km models with many different "winter weather" products available on the page. Here is a sample of snowfall rates exceeding 2"/hr:

snow_neprob_2.0_f033_NE.thumb.png.92d65eacd77f49a39ad82d361baaa713.png

More information on their EPS can be found in this WAF paper: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/WAF-D-15-0103.1

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Legitimately curious about this statement, why does it feel like it's on an island? The GFS and Euro both somewhat support that type of setup too, don't they? As does the HRRR?

I'm a bit parochial here, I think the para looks like the coldest model which keeps me snow.  Without soundings, I can't really tell though.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

I'm a bit parochial here, I think the para looks like the coldest model which keeps me snow.  Without soundings, I can't really tell though.

I feel you, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something, because one thing I've noticed is that it seems a lot of people are really holding onto those bad NAM runs and sort of inflating them into something more than they are. I haven't seen much talk about how the GFS, Euro, and HRRR all seem to agree as does the parallel NAMs. I know people are intensely nervous about this storm, but it's not like the potential for a lot of snow is some outside bank shot.

16 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

SREF plumes are out for 9z...Unfortunately, doesn't look good for the DC metro.  Down to 3.95 on the mean with precip increased to 1.52.  Mixed bag it looks like.

Thanks, but we don't need some ne'er do well from NC giving us updates on a terrible ensemble model.

Archived