Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z euro still ka-ka for us easterners. It actually looked a bit better than 12z for the CT crew. 

yeah the confluence keeps ticking stronger. makes sense tho, as the models are probably “feeling” the developing block, this is the adjustment you’d expect them to make, if anything 

I would feel great if I was in CT, especially Valley west. a solid 4-8” event is becoming more of a probability 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

I hope it goes north so much it rains on all of SNE. If it’s not going to be much anyways, missing out isn’t going to be that bad. Besides, it would be worth it just to see the reactions from the board.

Speak for yourself. Most south of 41N haven't even had an inch of snow this winter. 

1 hour ago, TalcottWx said:

Yes, but it is close the the gfs which lends some weight to its solution. We'll have to see how it continues to trend, but it definitely looks great for our area. 

Oh for sure.  I just meant that at one point it showed practically nothing,  and now sort of aligns with the GFS. As the models turn soap opera continues :lol:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, George001 said:

I hope it goes north so much it rains on all of SNE. If it’s not going to be much anyways, missing out isn’t going to be that bad. Besides, it would be worth it just to see the reactions from the board.

Someone became the turd in the punchbowl. :( 

And like SnoSki said it's been as depressing a winter as we've ever experienced here. The Hollywood Sign has more snow than NYC at this point and it's not even an exaggeration. If maybe somehow we manage a few inches (tons of ways a SWFE can turn right back around and be a washout here) it's no skin off your teeth and you'll probably end up with about the same. Boo-hoo. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That’s a chase I’d like to make someday.

Might be the heaviest snow I’ve ever seen. My aunt used to live right up near Alpine Meadows ski resort so we’d go there sometimes. Feb 1994 (ironically during the brief thaw in the east that winter) when I was on school vacation we went and there was a storm that dropped about 6-7 feet in 3 days but one of the days must have snowed 4 feet and during the peak of it I’m guessing it was like 7-8 inches per hour. Might have been slightly more even….it was actually kind of scary being out in it because you couldn’t see anything. Vis was maybe 25 feet?  This was well before normal people had cellphones so you could actually wander 20 yards in the wrong direction and have no way to get back or call for help. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Well that forced me to use thumbs down for the first time. Didn’t take long…

Speak for yourself man. You start a “blizzard” thread and then you want it to rain? Now that’s gonna get you nodded at some point… and usually I enjoy the bullish perspective of your posts.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Might be the heaviest snow I’ve ever seen. My aunt used to live right up near Alpine Meadows ski resort so we’d go there sometimes. Feb 1994 (ironically during the brief thaw in the east that winter) when I was on school vacation we went and there was a storm that dropped about 6-7 feet in 3 days but one of the days must have snowed 4 feet and during the peak of it I’m guessing it was like 7-8 inches per hour. Might have been slightly more even….it was actually kind of scary being out in it because you couldn’t see anything. Vis was maybe 25 feet?  This was well before normal people had cellphones so you could actually wander 20 yards in the wrong direction and have no way to get back or call for help. 

S+++++

Reminds of when my buddy, who worked at NCAR for a few years, sent me a screed some guy who worked there wrote about how S++ meant something very different to the upslope Colorado folks than to us mere mortals out East.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A similar experience...

Ski trip to Tahoe Feb 2007. On the drive up, we had to pull off and sleep in the car for hours because they did not allow vehicles without snow chains above a certain elevation. Whiteout conditions on the slopes the next day.

I took this from inside one of the ski lodges the next day:

04CC481D-500A-424F-BBF5-672097D6877A_4_5005_c.jpeg.29712dbf9eca6a04c114fb7da2b8ab5b.jpeg

• Like 4

Our first call map. Guessing we go up for coastal western CT tomorrow but we'll see. Explicitly wrote that the western interior zone is likely to end up the jackpot and the 2-4 zone will see most at 3-4", with potential to go higher in western CT down to the coast. 

As an aside. I'm so tired. Those who write know what I mean lol.

I literally had someone argue over whether it was "warm" recently and it was damn near a +20 day. 

2123679470_2252022.jpg.9cfb447febfc3681a9e838b95d96fc0a.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

George is like Will Farrell from old school when he went from being cool and fun crashing weddings to more disturbed and negative crashing funerals 

This post 2016 stretch is making me start to understand the origin of Torch Tiger. He was once a snow weenie like myself, getting excited over every flake. But Torch Tiger began to notice that the local climate started getting warmer, and he found himself disappointed more and more often. Torch Tiger is quite a bit older than I am, so his spirit was already beaten down somewhat by the rat race that is life. Eventually, he reached a breaking point where he could no longer derive enjoyment as a snow weenie while deep down knowing that winters will get milder and milder as climate change accelerates. The competing forces of reality (climate change) and relentless (delusional) optimism began clashing, and this divide caused him great psychological distress. Eventually it became too much, and he went off the deep end. After his psychotic break, he was a changed man. The carefree snow lover he used to be was a thing of the past. Now, there is a darkness inside of him. He feeds off the sorrow of snow weenies, cackling to himself as he sees snow threat after snow threat slip away while while watching us snow weenies melt. He now loves warmer weather, the mere sight of deep red over the eastern US fills him with joy like snow used to. To him, all the record highs we have been getting represent something bigger, it is only the beginning of the death of the eastern US winter. He believes that deep down, even the biggest snow weenies know what is happening to our winters, and feeds off our misery. I have not gone off the deep end yet, but unfortunately the cracks are starting to show. I can feel myself slowly losing my sanity, with the darkness already starting to seep in to my psyche. I will do everything I can to fight it, but couple more ratters in the near future will be the end of me. My transformation will be complete, and a second Torch Tiger will join the board. Please, make it stop….. Just give me one epic winter in the next 5 years, just one to help me fight those demons.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

This post 2016 stretch is making me start to understand the origin of Torch Tiger. He was once a snow weenie like myself, getting excited over every flake. But Torch Tiger began to notice that the local climate started getting warmer, and he found himself disappointed more and more often. Torch Tiger is quite a bit older than I am, so his spirit was already beaten down somewhat by the rat race that is life. Eventually, he reached a breaking point where he could no longer derive enjoyment as a snow weenie while deep down knowing that winters will get milder and milder as climate change accelerates. The competing forces of reality (climate change) and relentless (delusional) optimism began clashing, and this divide caused him great psychological distress. Eventually it became too much, and he went off the deep end. After his psychotic break, he was a changed man. The carefree snow lover he used to be was a thing of the past. Now, there is a darkness inside of him. He feeds off the sorrow of snow weenies, cackling to himself as he sees snow threat after snow threat slip away while while watching us snow weenies melt. He now loves warmer weather, the mere sight of deep red over the eastern US fills him with joy like snow used to. To him, all the record highs we have been getting represent something bigger, it is only the beginning of the death of the eastern US winter. He believes that deep down, even the biggest snow weenies know what is happening to our winters, and feeds off our misery. I have not gone off the deep end yet, but unfortunately the cracks are starting to show. I can feel myself slowly losing my sanity, with the darkness already starting to seep in to my psyche. I will do everything I can to fight it, but couple more ratters in the near future will be the end of me. My transformation will be complete, and a second Torch Tiger will join the board. Please, make it stop….. Just give me one epic winter in the next 5 years, just one to help me fight those demons.

George, I don't know much. But I know that northeast winters aren't going away ... at least not in our lifetimes. The west coast is getting an epic clobbering that is badly needed. So we take the meteorological "L" and move on.

• Thanks 1