Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Good point. However, the 6z even with its trends over the last few runs still got close, if not gave you, a warning level event. 

Edit - Also, isn’t the fact that the storm is coming in faster the reason for the erosion of the cold air faster? That’s not a trend towards a weaker cad setup. The whole system has moved up in time. 

I thought we were hoping for an earlier event due to a longer CAD event.  Am I wrong?   

8 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Good point. However, the 6z even with its trends over the last few runs still got close, if not gave you, a warning level event. 

Edit - Also, isn’t the fact that the storm is coming in faster the reason for the erosion of the cold air faster? It erodes the cold just the same as before but the primary is getting its act together faster not necessarily because the cold is eroding faster. 

Somewhat but the depth of cold air isn't the same . I'm not a fan of snow maps but I'll use the positive snow depth change map because I think their closer to ground truth in these situations. 

You can see the southern edge creeping further north each run.

gfs_asnowd_neus_20.png

gfs_asnowd_neus_21.png

gfs_asnowd_neus_22.png

gfs_asnowd_neus_23.png

gfs_asnowd_neus_24.png

gfs_asnowd_neus_25.png

Just now, Chris78 said:

Somewhat but the depth of cold air isn't the same . I'm not a fan of snow maps but I'll use the positive snow depth change map because I think their closer to ground truth in these situations. 

You can see the southern edge creeping further north each run.

This is just a heads up for future reference; positive snow depth change map is actually pretty terrible in relation to something like Kuchera. Also, snow maps in general are pretty terrible for the most part at range. Best thing to do is look at soundings, look at Bufkit, and factor in climo to get a better ratio analysis for any snow/sleet. They are pretty to look at and can signal certain trends in an event, but they have been way off. If I had to pick one, gun to head, it would be Kuchera since its algorithm factors in ratios better with ice crystal formation. Still not exact science though. This event will run 8-12:1 mean over the sub with lower ratios further south due to increasing depth of warm air and clumped aggregates. WAA snows tend to run down that path. 

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Not sure when it's suppose to become the operational but imho it appears to be struggling. It's seems prone to wild swings.

20 minutes ago, snowdude said:

The FV3 has just been horrid lately IMO and I’m afraid when it takes over as the permanent GFS. 

A red-tagger posted a day or two ago that the FV3 becoming operational has been put off indefinitely. He didn't say if it's because of the shutdown, bad verification scores, or something else.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

A red-tagger posted a day or two ago that the FV3 becoming operational has been put off indefinitely. He didn't say if it's because of the shutdown, bad verification scores, or something else.

i think tropical tidbits just gave up on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s all about the CAD, and nothing but the CAD. And models don’t get that right at 4 days out. Ever.

Can't like this enough. I said multiple days ago it would not be until the weekend until we get closer to ground truth and even then, it's going to be short term trends in Mesoscale guidance that will have a better handle on the depth and magnitude of the cold air available prior to moisture making it into the area. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

yes, I read the post some time ago and they basically realize that there are some errors within and need to fix prior to launch.

2 hours ago, anotherman said:

I agree 100%.  The worst snowstorms are the ones that you know will be gone right away.  Even the wintry week we had last week wasn't as fun because I knew the blowtorch would destroy all the snow in a few days.

I mean. That is our climo though. We dont freeze fro weeks on end here. It only happens every couple of decades that we end up cold through the entire winter. It is just how we do winter here. So being mad that snow melts a few days later is kind of pointless if you live in this area.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I mean. That is our climo though. We dont freeze fro weeks on end here. It only happens every couple of decades that we end up cold through the entire winter. It is just how we do winter here. So being mad that snow melts a few days later is kind of pointless if you live in this area.

It's even a thing 500 miles straight north of here. Not as drastic of course, but they have their cutters and their warmup and rains.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree, but I get much less interested in March.  If we can get some very anomalous cold like we did back in 2014 and it was snowing at 19 degrees at noon in the middle of March I'm down for that.  Or if we can get some kind of big paste job that's fun too.  A run of the mill 2-4 inch storm in March I can take or leave.  By March I'm just thinking about those beautiful upper 60s and low 70s before we are assaulted with 70+ dewpoints every day. 

2 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Icon is good. 2-4” north of dc mainly from wave one. Never loses the surface for the event for areas north and west of the cities. It doesn’t show mix but I would guess major icing. 

I think when we say icing to me if its freezing rain it needs to be in the 20s with light rain falling. If its 31.6 and heavy rain maybe a hand railing might get slick. If we are talking sleet then different story...I like sleet honestly 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Icon is good. 2-4” north of dc mainly from wave one. Never loses the surface for the event for areas north and west of the cities. It doesn’t show mix but I would guess major icing. 

wave 2 is pretty ugly in general, but wave 1 has an overperformer look as far as temps are concerned.  hopefully there's enough precip to take advantage of it before the next wave cuts west.

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I think when we say icing to me if its freezing rain it needs to be in the 20s with light rain falling. If its 31.6 and heavy rain maybe a hand railing might get slick. If we are talking sleet then different story...I like sleet honestly 

Sleet is fun. “Freezing rain” at 31 degrees is just cold rain 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic