Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Was the Euro good?  Haven’t had the chance to check back posts.  Just got home.  Snow to ice to rain Id imagine?  

Euro was better with cad/mids but totally failed on waa precip. Verbatim it sucked. Add in a normal slug of waa and a lot of folks would hit warning level snowfall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro was better with cad/mids but totally failed on waa precip. Verbatim it sucked. Add in a normal slug of waa and a lot of folks would hit warning level snowfall. 

Roger.  Always a fly in the ointment but I feel if the CAD holds we can take chances with precip.  Sure will go with that

Now this is a low confidence forecast. Don't even need to read the AFD for details. Talk about hedging your bets. 

Sunday Night

A chance of rain and snow before 1am, then a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday

A chance of snow before 10am, then a chance of rain and snow between 10am and 1pm, then a chance of rain after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Night

Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tuesday

Snow likely before 7am, then rain and snow likely between 7am and 10am, then rain likely after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tuesday Night

A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday

A chance of rain and snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I really think that just going off history at this stage will be more accurate than op runs every 6 hours. Get a primary north of our latitude to the west and it's going to mix regardless of a transfer. Imo- all a transfer does is give us more rain than help snowfall/ice. Doesn't matter what I want but I would prefer no transfer at all unless the primary doesn't make it north of our latitude.  From what I'm seeing though it sure looks like the primary is making it north. 

Eh don’t know about that. Cyclonic flow around a distinct LP area will help reinforce CAD and bring more precip. Some of the random great looks we’ve had for this event have the energy split around 50:50 between the primry and coastal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Eh don’t know about that. Cyclonic flow around a distinct LP area will help reinforce CAD and bring more precip. Some of the random great looks we’ve had for this event have the energy split around 50:50 between the primry and coastal.

My general rule of thumb is a transfer needs to be mostly complete with slp forming south of the VA tidewater for it to work out as all snow. I'm not seeing anything heading that direction so my vote goes to no transfer/thump drizzle.  I suppose if the primary trends weaker in general it could work but then the risk of the waa getting interrupted and the coastal pummeling NEMD increases while i watch flurries not stick on my bare grass. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My general rule of thumb is a transfer needs to be mostly complete with slp forming south of the VA tidewater for it to work out as all snow. I'm not seeing anything heading that direction so my vote goes to no transfer/thump drizzle.  I suppose if the primary trends weaker in general it could work but then the risk of the waa getting interrupted and the coastal pummeling NEMD increases while i watch flurries not stick on my bare grass. 

Hybrid is what we want. Get the waa thump. Then enough secondary to keep low level cold and weaken the primary. Dry slot. End with snow otg. If there is no secondary and the primary cuts our temps go to 45 and we rain hard. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Last I heard it's trending better. Hopefully the trending continues. But I think the GFS has lost its usefulness. 

Bob said GEFS looked solid at 18z.  Maybe has legs.  Not much wiggle room with this CAD set up in my opinion.  High is not strong enough and far removed.  I like CAD that wedges to NC.  I don’t think this does. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Bob said GEFS looked solid at 18z.  Maybe has legs.  Not much wiggle room with this CAD set up in my opinion.  High is not strong enough and far removed.  I like CAD that wedges to NC.  I don’t think this does. 

Gefs is honking the CAD horn. This is the best gefs fun through d6 all year. The big storm looked like crap 6 days out.

dFzHxnt.png

Eta: and this is a very important eta... gefs snow algo includes sleet and zr as snow but it's still a very good run. Solid CAD is evident on vast majority of solutions. Good hp placement and lots of qpf. 

• Like 5

The best case scenario is to get an early snow thump, have a period of lighter mixing if not to all drizzle and then the dry slot takes over and we say goodbye to the system.  If we get any heavy rain out of this, I'm going to be pissed.  That's the absolute last thing anyone needs or wants at this point. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs is honking the CAD horn. This is the best gefs fun through d6 all year. The big storm looked like crap 6 days out.

dFzHxnt.png

Eta: and this is a very important eta... gefs snow algo includes sleet and zr as snow but it's still a very good run. Solid CAD is evident on vast majority of solutions. Good hp placement and lots of qpf. 

Stop it..you are coming close to making me believe.  I can't get there before Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Danajames said:

The best case scenario is to get an early snow thump, have a period of lighter mixing if not to all drizzle and then the dry slot takes over and we say goodbye to the system.  If we get any heavy rain out of this, I'm going to be pissed.  That's the absolute last thing anyone needs or wants at this point. 

A pure snow scenario is a tall order for most areas south of 70 east of 81.  Rain will likely be part of this equation.  No reason to fret over it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

A pure snow scenario is a tall order for most areas south of 70 east of 81.  Rain will likely be part of this equation.  No reason to fret over it. 

Yea, especially considering we hit 5 all snow events in a row. We're due to mix. We should be really thankful to have a threat so soon after a really warm stretch. We can often waste 1-2 weeks recovering from a torch. Can't tell a soul how they should feel but this event is a lucky gift if we get any accum snow out of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Oh, I'm sure we'll get some rain but I just don't want any more of that heavy crap.  After 70+" of precipitation last year, I'd like to start 2019 on a more "normal" pace.  

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, especially considering we hit 5 all snow events in a row. We're due to mix. We should be really thankful to have a threat so soon after a really warm stretch. We can often waste 1-2 weeks recovering from a torch. Can't tell a soul how they should feel but this event is a lucky gift if we get any accum snow out of it. 

Of course we could luck out with thump mix dry slot.  Why not right.  Well some of us.  I tend to forget how big the forum actually is.  EZF might be mostly rain, psu mostly snow.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic