Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

Just now, stormtracker said:

Like the trends.  GFS is gonna skunk us after a front end thump..but the progression seems to get better with every run re: CAD

We just need the general idea to not deteriorate and it's a pretty safe way to get some snow. Still 4 days out. Gfs is warmer and quicker to retreat the mids but precip was faster. Have the exact gfs progression but deeper cad and it could be a very nice event before the downpour.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

We just need the general idea to not deteriorate and it's a pretty safe way to get some snow. Still 4 days out. Gfs is warmer and quicker to retreat the mids but precip was faster. Have the exact gfs progression but deeper cad and it could be a very nice event before the downpour.

Yeah, that's pretty much the upside for me.  Few hours of frozen before the inevitable rain.  People need to accept that with this set up.   I'm focused on the thump baby

Just now, stormtracker said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the upside for me.  Few hours of frozen before the inevitable rain.  People need to accept that with this set up.   I'm focused on the thump baby

I accepted it 3 days ago. Ridging is pushing up in front. H5 is a long way away from an underneath solution. 

Need the big jumps to stop. Euro went big in the plains last night and killed that idea today. Of course the gfs just nuked the plains. We need that piece to stop moving 100s of miles. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t see it. Slightly more snow maybe but then warmer and a lot more rain so odds are worse ground truth when it’s over. 

Ok but why do we care so much about when it’s over? If I get 4” of snow before it goes to rain an washes away I’m fine with that as opposed to 2” and ice and dumb stuff dry slot. 

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Ok but why do we care so much about when it’s over? If I get 4” of snow before it goes to rain an washes away I’m fine with that as opposed to 2” and ice and dumb stuff dry slot. 

What good is snow if before I get to go out and play in it with my kids or go sledding or make a fort or snowman it turns to a pouring rainstorm?

I liked the miller b idea of a 3-6” thump to dryslot I thought we might be trending towards. The primary way west with a driving rainstorm idea not so much. But to each their own.  I dont want to much up the thread. Sorry. 

• Like 3

@Ralph Wiggum

and the euro is why I am looking for blocking in the long range. It might not go down that way. I’m not claiming this is the solution.  There is a good high around so a fluke could happen.  But the euro just spit out a total fail scenario with two cutter rainstorms next week. And that is very much possible in a -epo/-pna pattern without blocking. They favor a track nw of us.  If the epo was centered in western Canada or there was a tpv in Quebec I would be much more excited but the pure h5 pattern shown is not a good snow look for us. 

Luckily the long range looked great on the gefs. Hopefully the eps concurs shortly. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro = Next Next Next 

Ji would say this euro run sucked. It really did. I suppose it does end with a good pattern day 10 but 3 cutters next week. 99% rain. Boundary stays to our northwest the whole time. 

Yeah might be time to toss this thing...perhaps the thump could do something for your totals, but for the other half of the subforum? Sloppy few inches that ya may not be able to see...lol I do hope that PD weekend (or even a bit after) can yield some potential (or at least a moderate storm to get the ball rolling)...because the clock starts ticking!

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah might be time to toss this thing...perhaps the thump could do something for your totals, but for the other half of the subforum? Sloppy few inches that ya may not be able to see...lol I do hope that PD weekend (or even a bit after) can yield some potential (or at least a moderate storm to get the ball rolling)...because the clock starts ticking!

A sloppy few inches that you may not be able to see? I’m sorry but is it invisible? Also, a sloppy few inches can do something for our totals in the corridor. Many of us would be fine with a sloppy couple of inches. 

Icon is interesting. Never gets above freezing for many. That HP on both the icon and gfs isn’t getting beat around. The difference is that the primary on the GFS torches and overcomes the HP. I think areas north and west have a chance to stay frozen for the duration with this one. Icon has a weaker primary than the GFS. At hr 102 gfs is 992 while icon is 1002. Gfs warms the mids right down to surface while the icon keeps the surface below freezing. Gotta root for the primary to come in weaker and let the HP do it’s job at this point. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro = Next Next Next 

Ji would say this euro run sucked. It really did. I suppose it does end with a mediocre pattern day 10 but 3 cutters next week. 99% rain. Boundary stays to our northwest the whole time. 

Well nothing has really changed then as this period was totally expected to be a gradient pattern and completely dependent on which side of the boundary we ended up on. May or may not work out....I'm not ready to give up yet on Feb.

Positive takeaways are 1) the models seem to have sniffed out the overall setup 10 days prior in signaling this boundary scenario was going to occur with all of the key features of the pattern fairly well advertised. Or course this is if it still goes down like this which at this range looks like it will. So that's a win for LR modeling. 2) with that said the LR models are sticking with and even increasing the blocking looks up top. If my first point holds any value then we *may* be past the point of LR failures that we saw last month. 3) There is still the chance the euro has the gradient idea but is giving into some bias and not flattening things out enough East of the divide. Boundary will likely be closer imo but again even if not we knew with the SE Ridge feature and little blocking this was certainly a possibility. When blocking pops up later next week we should start to see significant changes. SE Ridge will prove to be our savior when all is said and done...its not going away completely but should remain enough of a player to keep systems from tracking to GA with a strong block up top.

Aside from my tongue in cheek teasing yesterday, most of us have had our eyes farther down the line anyway. I see what is coming thus why I'm trying to stay away from playing with fire in the extended. Maybe its reverse psychology or even a subconscious thing but there is nothing saying the blocky pattern up top wont verify. I also like that recent years' decadal(?) history says backloaded blocking patterns are a real thing.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic