Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sustained winds here averaging in the mid 30's. Highest wind gust 57 mph. Surprised I still have power, just had the flickering off and on stuff resulting in multiple resetting of the clocks.  Lots of big oaks all around, but only branches tossed across the yard. Another noisy night ahead to make it difficult to sleep! 

4 hours ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Paddle boarders?  WTF were they thinking?  I can barely walk straight with these gusts.  

Been away from the computer. It seemed that there was  ton of paddle boarders out there. One of the fireboats said they checked 3 people and they all denied wanting to be transported. Then another fire crew on scene said there were another three paddle boarders up river. It seemed that NRP/DNR picked up some but some continued to paddle board out there. 

Saw 3 parked cars today with shattered back windows. None showed any obvious tree or other impacts, and in one case there was no tree anywhere close. What would cause this? My best theory was that a sudden massive gust might cause a vacuum in the car and the back window might implode. Any thoughts?

Also, a tree fell on the road in front of me and I got rear-ended when I stopped. Not a good day for cars, and I'm a little worried about the big pines behind my house...

The strongest ground level winds IMBY happened at 5pm.  I usually set up a few plastic toys and chairs in the yard to monitor winds in big events. A few got knocked over last night, but didn't travel but a few feet. All were blown N.

The rest were just whacked proper, including some that I weren't expecting. A 4ft toy house rolled/flew about 20 feet and fell apart, and an 8 foot 3/4" piece of pressure treated (heavy) plywood i use to cover firewood traveled about 10 feet.

The highest reading from my anemometer behind my house / 15 ft off the ground was 35.6 at 132am.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Stronger gradient is a key reason.

Yea, it's a rare setup with an intensifying low moving closer instead of further away and tight gradient with a strong hp nosing down. Normally gradient events like this peak and wane fairly quickly as the low gets further away. Incredible duration for a high wind event. Gusts into the 40s started nearly 24 hours ago. I'm very impressed with this event. Exceeded expectations for sure. 

Winds are currently ebbing somewhat, but still getting some powerful gusts. Heard a loud snap around 4 p.m. and soft-ish thud, the aftermath of which you see here. The pine tree belongs to the neighbor on my immediate right...and it fell on the carport of the neighbor on THEIR right. The bottom-most branches of the pine kept it resting mostly on the ground and it really only damaged a couple shingles on the corner the carport. All cars involved were undamaged...and all parties involved were pretty lucky.

MVIMG_20180302_154524.jpg

so I am at work at a hospital in Montgomery county. I work in the ER. We went dark for about 10 seconds... we were already on generators. Back up generators came in but half of the hospital is without power... we are going in mini disaster meaning we can't take any EMS and it's a full moon... lord just get me through the night. 

Archived