Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, qg_omega said:

Why should this storm bomb south of long island?  Am I missing something?  Its a bowling ball pattern as the storm gets shunted south of the block, not that it matters much since the airmass is beyond stale and maritime.  I am not understanding the hype with this storm?  

It's conditional ...that's why. 

There's been a dearth of excitement in the weather world... really since the January white hurricane ... and so, the mania that is pretty much the entire Meteorological community of hoi polloi, enthusiasts and even some professions ... is in withdraw symptoms and particularly ready to pounce on potentials - to which ... this is/was. 

Add to that vulnerability, there have been sporadic model cycles from both dependable and non-dependable model for historic this or that .. all saddled beneath a deep point in a negative NAO burst ... something we have/had not seen in quite some time, which only adds to the fever pitch of the dystopian drug.  

I'm being snarky/sarcastic to some degree, yes... however, there is some truth to all that. People that engage in this stuff can become a bit prone and thus persuaded by matters. 

Just now, dryslot said:

Its possible towards some of the other globals, It looked like it would have a sooner faster phase over the upper ohio valley only to close off further south and east.

Yes it was better early on. Honestly that's probably all that its worth assessing right now, the NAM being the NAM. Confluence over the NE was stronger, BUT, that can be overcome for most if the initial phase continues to trend more amped.

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yes it was better early on. Honestly that's probably all that its worth assessing right now, the NAM being the NAM. Confluence over the NE was stronger, BUT, that can be overcome for most if the initial phase continues to trend more amped.

Yeah there was a little more over QUE back west this run but if this had gone nuts with phasing i don't think it would have mattered, The phase was a little more dirty, Looked like it was going to go to town then just shut off.

3 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Why should this storm bomb south of long island?  Am I missing something?  Its a bowling ball pattern as the storm gets shunted south of the block, not that it matters much since the airmass is beyond stale and maritime.  I am not understanding the hype with this storm?  

I'm not sure what your question is...it's pretty clear if this could go to town to the south of LI if we get a pretty good phase. It's not certain obviously, but if it does, then it would be an extremely high impact storm. Both coastal flooding and probable interior heavy wet snow (and prob even to coast too if in the right spot).

I suggest looking up weather history of very deep upper lows to our south....you don't need a fresh arctic airmass for snow on those. Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 and Dec 11-12, 1992 are classic examples.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's conditional ...that's why. 

There's been a dearth of excitement in the weather world... really since the January white hurricane ... and so, the mania that is pretty much the entire Meteorological community of hoi polloi, enthusiasts and even some professions ... is in withdraw symptoms and particularly ready to pounce on potentials - to which ... this is/was. 

Add to that vulnerability, there have been sporadic model cycles from both dependable and non-dependable model for historic this or that .. all saddled beneath a deep point in a negative NAO burst ... something we have/had not seen in quite some time, which only adds to the fever pitch of the dystopian drug.  

I'm being snarky/sarcastic to some degree, yes... however, there is some truth to all that. People that engage in this stuff can become a bit prone and thus persuaded by matters. 

Had 8 inches in four hours two weeks ago....doesn't get much more impressive than that.  Not to mention the strongest Nor'easter in history in January.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm not sure what your question is...it's pretty clear if this could go to town to the south of LI if we get a pretty good phase. It's not certain obviously, but if it does, then it would be an extremely high impact storm. Both coastal flooding and probable interior heavy wet snow (and prob even to coast too if in the right spot).

I suggest looking up weather history of very deep upper lows to our south....you don't need a fresh arctic airmass for snow on those. Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 and Dec 11-12, 1992 are classic examples.

Yeah I think we've seen enough big hits on the models in recent days to know what the risk is of high end impacts for at least parts of SNE. 

Not sure how you would write off this storm so easily as to say "I don't see the hype"... like discussed yesterday it's a very low floor (as in 0" snowfall) to a very high ceiling (as in feet) depending on the specifics.  

That was an odd post.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think we've seen enough big hits on the models in recent days to know what the risk is of high end impacts for at least parts of SNE. 

Not sure how you would write off this storm so easily as to say "I don't see the hype"... like discussed yesterday it's a very low floor (as in 0" snowfall) to a very high ceiling (as in feet) depending on the specifics.  

That was an odd post.

It's high stakes like we said...you can make an argument for both a historic system and not much at all. But to dismiss the potential outright at this stage isn't learning from past history.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

That was an odd post.

That kid is a troll. He lives in NYC and spends weekends with his parents at their place in the Adirondack’s. He’s been trolling our forum for years. Thought folks knew that

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That kid is a troll. He lives in NYC and spends weekends with his parents at their place in the Adirondack’s. He’s been trolling our forum for years. Thought folks knew that

I don't think he's a straight troll but he definitely leans on the glass half empty side of things most of the time.  

I mean even if not in the game the model drama is really entertaining...but everyone on here is savvy enough to know the risks and rewards with a system like this.  

Hey maybe it craps the bed and is forgettable but maybe it does a Dec 1992.  

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Far from a kid Kevin, in fact I went to Cornell (Atmospheric Science) same time as Will but thanks for playing.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He's not wrong. Odds favor a dull solution for most of us IMO. That said, these systems can become high end if a lot of things go right.

We'll see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

If the NAM was showing a bomb and a foot plus for everyone, then the group would love it and be praising it right now.  But because it shows nothing, it blows.

In all seriousness, have to think this thing struggles to gain enough latitude to get us in the goods.

Its comical

Like the rest of the models Had any clarity

Gaining latitude may be an issue 

Archived