Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just as this is bounded on the with side by the RNA teleconnected ridge, it's northward progression is limited by the NAO block.

Sell this huggerscenario.

I don't see it being this amped too, but it only goes over ORH. I don't know how you can say a global scale block can have a low track inside the BM, but it's not possible to reach the lat of ORH.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don't see it being this amped too, but it only goes over ORH. I don't know how you can say a global scale block can have a low track inside the BM, but it's not possible to reach the lat of ORH.

I didn't mean its a physical impossibility, but I hedged agsinst it. I think the block makes a normally unlikely track bodily over sne even less likely.

This setup is a bit odd in that we usually have significant -NAO blocking accompanied by an antecedent cold airmass. The PV split and - - PNA may cause the downstream blocking to be more easily overcome as a result. 

Anyway best bet right now, imo is going 70/30 12z GFS/0z Euro right now - which would be pretty close to the BM.... Seems like the envelope of 12z guidance is right around the BM as well...

Anyone feeling any more confident on any solution? Lol the definitive posts here and their I told you sos.  It is a clusterf right now. The weenies on the bus go round and round.

GFS is plausible, NAM is plausible, ICON is plausible, Euro is plausible. 

Regarding this GFS run, Brian Jeff, Gene, Whites getting a monster storm. Pf Too. 

One of the trends you don't want to see to avoid warmth is the main shortwave making it much further north than previous runs before congealing south of SNE...we're seeing on some of these runs like the GFS, the main ULL gets up into NW PA before sliding ESE. The allows a lot of mid-level warmth to move north. OTOH, you take some of those 30" blizzard runs from 2 days ago on the Euro, the ULL never makes it north of southern OH and goes east from there. It's a relatively subtle shift, but it can cause some ptype headaches.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

One of the trends you don't want to see to avoid warmth is the main shortwave making it much further north than previous runs before congealing south of SNE...we're seeing on some of these runs like the GFS, the main ULL gets up into NW PA before sliding ESE. The allows a lot of mid-level warmth to move north. OTOH, you take some of those 30" blizzard runs from 2 days ago on the Euro, the ULL never makes it north of southern OH and goes east from there. It's a relatively subtle shift, but it can cause some ptype headaches.

Yeah I mentioned earlier how GFS has been pushing that primary further and further up into the Lakes before transferring. Still not sure I buy it with the block, but that would not help us here in SNE.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anyone feeling any more confident on any solution? Lol the definitive posts here and their I told you sos.  It is a clusterf right now. The weenies on the bus go round and round.

GFS is plausible, NAM is plausible, ICON is plausible, Euro is plausible. 

Regarding this GFS run, Brian Jeff, Gene, Whites getting a monster storm. Pf Too. 

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can pick out any one model run out and say this is the most likely scenario, Right now, It is still being sorted out, But you get a real clean stronger/earlier phase, And these northern solutions can happen, There are going to be some that get hosed by the eventual outcome, No getting out of it.

Archived