Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is... the position of that low is so high stakes for impact profile that the standard error seem ginormous ... but in reality, it may not be so bad. 

Having said that? That's as fair as I'm going to be for the GFS because this model seems to spraying solutions.   

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m confused by some of the commentary in here. So the NAM is wrong because it’s a whiff, and the gfs is wrong because it’s to far north. Are people expecting this to land exactly in the thread the needle area we need it to be as the most likely scenario?

Sell that

This is a magical block that focuses all desirable weather toward SNE.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m confused by some of the commentary in here. So the NAM is wrong because it’s a whiff, and the gfs is wrong because it’s to far north. Are people expecting this to land exactly in the thread the needle area we need it to be as the most likely scenario?

Sell that

You must be new here.

Push the GFS a bit south and that would be perfect....we get stuck right in the stinger tail of WAA in SNE and can't cool off. Kind of suspect though given that ULL track. There's a black hole forming in the upper atmosphere from ACY to the benchmark that run.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sell that

No one is saying that it's wrong, just that it seems unlikely to hug that much given a highly anomalous block.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Push the GFS a bit south and that would be perfect....we get stuck right in the stinger tail of WAA in SNE and can't cool off. Kind of suspect though given that ULL track. There's a black hole forming in the upper atmosphere from ACY to the benchmark that run.

This is actually a bias in the GFS I have noticed over the years ...  When the lower troposopheric thickness layout offers less resistance, it loves to foist its surface reflections around the top/polarward side of the mid level centers. ...   you end up with these laterally inverted circulation plumes with cold moving E under warm moving west lobes of atmosphere...

This could also be related to what Scott has been hammering re the BL warm bias in this model  too. It just really seems like it's missing a set of physical equations that govern that lower thickness medium. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The funny thing is... the position of that low is so high stakes for impact profile that the standard error seem ginormous ... but in reality, it may not be so bad. 

Having said that? That's as fair as I'm going to be for the GFS because this model seems to spraying solutions.   

Like a dong just spraying all directions 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

This is a magical block that focuses all desirable weather toward SNE.

I believe several GEFS members have some of these amped up members with this type of scenario, You get an early clean phase and your open to getting these tracks, I don't know why some think this is only operating in a 100 mile path, You get a low of that strength, And its can over come a lot of things.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, back to the science, you can see the best focing looks S & W of where the SLP is when looking at the 06z Friday graphics.  May not change the precip type but you can argue for as southward correction in track given the dynamics.

Archived