Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to me like the Euro had its usual mid-range burp run. I remember it doing that during one mid-range run with last March's storm amid a long series of consistent outputs. Anyone else think the GFS is pushing that primary too far up north into the Lakes? I would think it would transfer faster than that...Anyway, I'd expect to get a better handle on the actual outcome today. The shortwaves should be well sampled, so I'd expect less spread in the ensemble means this afternoon.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If someone isn't careful, that's a recipe for a bad forecast. 

Cough, cough, Pete B. I still haven't forgiven his 3/13 forecast. I was in the ballroom at 60 State for an annual meeting that morning watching fatties pound down through the floor to ceiling windows, trying to guess at how many multiples off his accumulation forecast would be. It was a big multiple. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, GFS with the stupid insane T-Td spread again on the soundings. Tossed.

See .. I heard/read what you said yesterday, re the day-time heating stuff... but I think the problem is purely hygroscopic thermodynamics in this model. It's simply failing to saturate the BLs everywhere, and that has a nasty feedback of being way warm biased when approaching pseudo-adiabatic - in other words it can't see the latter at all.  Buut that's me own speculation - 

So my initial thoughts looking over the latest models.

I like seeing that southern lead shortwave shooting out ahead and than being captured by the northern one.  What that does is cuts off the ML warming sooner allowing for a more rapid transition to snow as the MLs get cranking.  Having the EPS north of the OP is a good sign.  I wonder if what we have is the Euro historical tendency of holding back energy in the SW and ejecting slower. 

The NAM/GFS/ICON are all crippling storms as currently modeled.  Let see what 12z brings today.

If @OceanStWx is online I'd like to hear about the model sensitivity right now.

Well... obviously that's less savory as a series of runs.  It's probably less than deterministically ideal to have to rely upon the NAM beyond 60 hours to be the most accurate when assessing threats. That's the nice way of putting things.

The Euro being D4 was a red flag to me.  Is the model infallible ?  No... buuut, is the model rarely wrong at that range?  Yes. 

If it's any consolation ... it still likes the slow moving cold event D8.5 through 10... So, in the spirit of sarcasm/commiseration ... if, or perhaps when, this thing completes its theft of the last 7 days of your lives ... you won't have to wait long to start tapping the mania sap of the next delusion - muah hahahaha. 

Anyway, the 06z GFS coming back a bit more robustly is actually intriguing considering that Euro ..  You now, frankly, part of me wants the Euro to be wrong - because the (admittedly) pettiness in me gets annoyed when one model garners the reputation and therefore, power over either deterministic confidence, and/or everyone's sense of gaiety and well-being ...whatever reason people engage in this silly hobby or profession for.  Whenever I see a tweet tsunamis occur just because of a single Euro run, and/or everyone else is riveted into this manic euphoria joy posting frenzy, or the opposite, somber morass ... simply because of that model's run, it's a major put-off for me.  I really wanna see a big hit when that model shows less, and vice versa.  That fact that we rarely do, if ever .. is acknowledged, ... I don't deny the tools skill.  But the whole thing of it lords over ... and I don't like it particularly when it is wrong sometimes.  In fact, if I really analyzed the 'feeling' ...it may not even be the Euro that is annoying - it's the knee jerk line toeing of the people that use it perhaps.  hmm.  

Here's a prediction : The NAM comes in unraveled and Judas and that will really be a dark nadir in the tenor waiting for the big correction of the Euro that's coming at 1...  That would be deviantly fun to witness ...  I'm kidding of course...

Leaving sensible weather impacts aside, you have to objectively love the trend on the GFS looping the past 5 or so runs at hr 72 at H5-- a steady trend north and deeper, with an earlier cut-off. Our primary  now makes it into Western NYS...That's much better than where we stood at this time yesterday...

Imo chances for a track close to or inside the BM has greatly increased from yesterday.

Archived