Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Leaving sensible weather impacts aside, you have to objectively love the trend on the GFS looping the past 5 or so runs at hr 72 at H5-- a steady trend north and deeper, with an earlier cut-off. Our primary  now makes it into Western NYS...That's much better than where we stood at this time yesterday...

Imo chances for a track close to or inside the BM has greatly increased from yesterday.

Do you think that the NAM's depiction of snow to the coast is realistic (I.e. the storm can bomb out to that intensity to allow for that much cooling)?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I'm going to get Dec 92'ed again, aren't I?

Mm... the most sensible, objective assessment for where things should align based upon all available data at this time does not , at this time, include a future that ends nearly as well for you that far N... no - 

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So my initial thoughts looking over the latest models.

I like seeing that southern lead shortwave shooting out ahead and than being captured by the northern one.  What that does is cuts off the ML warming sooner allowing for a more rapid transition to snow as the MLs get cranking.  Having the EPS north of the OP is a good sign.  I wonder if what we have is the Euro historical tendency of holding back energy in the SW and ejecting slower. 

The NAM/GFS/ICON are all crippling storms as currently modeled.  Let see what 12z brings today.

If @OceanStWx is online I'd like to hear about the model sensitivity right now.

The 00z suite still has the bulk (even more than 12z yesterday) of the variance explained by a north/south dipole off the New England coast. So much of the ensemble differences are between north/south positioning not east/west or strength.

The upper air pattern that supports that is somewhat convoluted, but does show that there was some sensitivity to initialization. Namely the wave dropping down the West Coast. Mean modeled heights were lower than observed (opposite of the sensitivity pattern) so some corrections SE may happen today. But the northern stream modeled heights are actually higher than observed, so maybe not. It's not a strong pattern, so strong moves one way or another shouldn't be expected.

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Whats Ur Gut say

Mossup Mauler

Cumberland crippler

Lights out Lincoln

Guts says the banana and OJ I had this morning were not enough. Honestly IDK. Tricky Dicky situation as all phase capture storms are. If it does phase and slow near the coast its Katy bar the door. Full moon goons are the best.  Green flag GEFS have not changed in days with -Sds, Red Flag Euro Op and a bunch of EPS members, buckle up

850WIND-14.gif

PTYPE-13.gif

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The 00z suite still has the bulk (even more than 12z yesterday) of the variance explained by a north/south dipole off the New England coast. So much of the ensemble differences are between north/south positioning not east/west or strength.

The upper air pattern that supports that is somewhat convoluted, but does show that there was some sensitivity to initialization. Namely the wave dropping down the West Coast. Mean modeled heights were lower than observed (opposite of the sensitivity pattern) so some corrections SE may happen today. But the northern stream modeled heights are actually higher than observed, so maybe not. It's not a strong pattern, so strong moves one way or another shouldn't be expected.

Thanks.  Convoluted to say the least than.  12z suite will definitely give some answers though.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks.  Convoluted to say the least than.  12z suite will definitely give some answers though.

Rolling it forward to the 12z raobs, the 00z Euro is actually closest to observed. 

Euro sensitivity matches the GEFS too (the majority is explained by a north/south positioning difference). I think we really want to see heights falling below forecast just downstream of the wave later today, with higher heights through the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes late today into tomorrow. That's a pattern that seems to produce what the weenies want to see.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm going to get Dec 92'ed again, aren't I?

We will know soon enough, I haven't had a real good feeling for this, Just don't like the way the whole precip field  and H5 low gets squeezed out under the block in a NW-SE trajectory, That is why i want to see the primary get as far north and west before that all takes place.

5 minutes ago, tunafish said:

At this point are we in or out of the game up this way?  Do we need a few more ticks north to get into the good stuff?

We definitely need several more ticks to get in on anything worthwhile. It could really be a sharp northerly cutoff too. EEN to PSM is probably closer enough to still have some hope, but north of that needs help.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Rolling it forward to the 12z raobs, the 00z Euro is actually closest to observed. 

Euro sensitivity matches the GEFS too (the majority is explained by a north/south positioning difference). I think we really want to see heights falling below forecast just downstream of the wave later today, with higher heights through the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes late today into tomorrow. That's a pattern that seems to produce what the weenies want to see.

Yeah, I was thinking we will see some sort of compromise in between the OP GFS/EUro runs at 12z today.

The fuzzy clustering has two good groups (out of 5) for New England (but about half the members because a lot are clustered around the ensemble mean which is good). 

What those two groups have in common are faster and stronger primary low development, and deeper/faster 500 mb trough development with the northern stream and weaker NAO ridging.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

The fuzzy clustering has two good groups (out of 5) for New England (but about half the members because a lot are clustered around the ensemble mean which is good). 

What those two groups have in common are faster and stronger primary low development, and deeper/faster 500 mb trough development with the northern stream and weaker NAO ridging.

The faster stronger development is key, That's what we want to see, The sooner the better.

Archived