joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 5" on the ground already here in Plaistow, NH. Local weather stations are still saying we "might see 2-4 inches by dark" but seem disconnected with the fact that we had that already by noontime. Am I right that I should be still expecting 10" additional or will I really only get about 5" additional from the main storm? Seems like I'll certainly get more overnight that during the day today, no?

I'd like to see you in a more concentrated band through the evening to get there, but I can't completely rule it out. Just got a report of 7.5" WNW of Seabrook.

Still not at 2". Good thing I'm jumping ship and heading to Boston to hopefully play on TV with Jim Cantore. Can any of you guys on Twitter mention me on his twitter feed (I'm @CoryPez) so he'll be more inclined to?

I'm going to talk to Kocin in a bit about the storm and I'll have him contact Jim too.

I will tweet him

Can someone give a 3 liner on why TDWR is better at depicting these OES bands? I understand the shorter wavelength and higher resolution, but intensities don't match what you see on NEXRAD. Elevation? Example: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693126.309929.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693155.510571.jpg

OES is shallow...the beam from Taunton scans that area around 3000 ft up while TDWR is hitting around 1300 ft

Can someone give a 3 liner on why TDWR is better at depicting these OES bands? I understand the shorter wavelength and higher resolution, but intensities don't match what you see on NEXRAD. Elevation?Example: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693126.309929.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693155.510571.jpg

Simply, it's closer to those bands. I don't think resolution or wavelength is different? Maybe?

This is incredible...  highest ratio snow I have ever seen, bar none!

I swiped off my front steps, which are wood, and serve remarkably well as a snow board, one hour ago, and now there is a new inch that is almost completely transparent. 

7F, Ayer Mass with S-

That's the other thing... I am wondering if there is an unusually low level snow growth region in the sounding, because we have at times been close to S, with visibility ..est .75 mi during the day, and radar has been now where close to that suggestion at any time up this way.  Although, there does appear to be a interesting SE --> NW motion so there some layer doing something interesting up there.  

I believe they are, because the TDWR will suffer more from attenuation. It would have to be a smaller wavelength in that case.

Yeah TDWRs are C band (5cm) Nexrads are S Band

Also TDWRs have a .55 degree beamwidth, very narrow.  Nexrads are .96 degrees I believe.

TDWRs have 125 meter gatespacing, nexrads 250 meter

This is incredible...  highest ratio snow I have ever seen, bar none!

I swiped off my front steps, which are wood, and serve remarkably well as a snow board, one hour ago, and now there is a new inch that is almost completely transparent. 

7F, Ayer Mass with S-

That's the other thing... I am wondering if there is an unusually low level snow growth region in the sounding, because we have at times been close to S, with visibility ..est .75 mi during the day, and radar has been now where close to that suggestion at any time up this way.  Although, there does appear to be a interesting SE --> NW motion so there some layer doing something interesting up there.  

Yeah sounds like you guys are getting the classic upslope/lake effect type snow right now... low reflectivity, easily accumulating stuff.  The type of thing where you have a few inches and can still see the ground, lol.

Can someone give a 3 liner on why TDWR is better at depicting these OES bands? I understand the shorter wavelength and higher resolution, but intensities don't match what you see on NEXRAD. Elevation? Example: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693126.309929.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388693155.510571.jpg

well ones in clear air mode and the other precip mode for starters

Archived