• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

What are you up to?  I just came home from Springfield and it looks like 2-3" here.  I've been watching the radar and it looks like we've been under some light bands for most of the day.

Yeah it's snowed the entire day. Different intensities. It burst for 10 minutes..then light..then burst again. just under 3 inches

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is impossible to predict amounts even now. Essex County dumpage could subside later, places that have been screwgeed might cash in later and yet other locals will keep on keepin on. Huge wildcard is the Arctic environment that has swept over most of the area. Some very localized jacks and many will complain.

10.8°F and going down WC already below zero. This is special in that regard alone.   

From GYX:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER

STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...BLOWING SNOW...AND COLD WIND CHILL

VALUES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND SHARPLY REDUCED

VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES LATE THIS

EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING NEAR THE COAST.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...7 BELOW TO 8 ABOVE ZERO.

* WIND CHILL...AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

For Jerry and Ginxy....the Leon Leaders...

WE SAW A HIGH OF -4F AT BTV...WHICH OCCURRED AT MIDNIGHT. THE
DAYTIME HIGH WAS ONLY -8F...AND TEMPS HAVE FALLEN BACK TO -11F AT
3PM. THE HIGH OF -4F IS THE COLDEST MAX OBSERVED AT BTV SINCE
1/9/2004 (NEARLY 10 YEARS!)
. SOME LOCATIONS IN NORTHERN NY DIDN`T
GET ABOVE -10F DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS.

Good lesson for the queens. qpf should never be taken literally

Well honestly that looks like its in line with the QPF progged... looking at that pic, there's probably like 0.4" liquid in that 10-12" of transparent fluff (within the 0.25-0.5" range forecast for northern MA today).  They certainly aren't at like 1" of QPF. 

The Essex county band my jackpot. Amazing that the features I mentioned lined up, yet models did not show it really as far as QPF goes.

You think they've seen more QPF than modeled?  To me is just looks like maximizing snow growth with big ratios.  I'd be interested to see a core out of those 8-12" fluff zones.  That twitter pic literally looked like 30:1 to me...like where 0.5" QPF produces 15" of snow. 

I'm at 5" and I'm about 7 miles NW of Ray.

Your call was 6-8"? or 8-10"? Either way looks like you're in for a solid positive bust :-) Congrats!

Measured around 4.3" best guess here but intensity has definitely picked up again and snow is blowing all over the place. We had a long period of really light stuff after the good band came through this morning.

Was thinking 12" here before today but based on the strong performance from the daytime OES and WAA I'm leaning closer to 14-16" once all is said and done.

Your call was 6-8"? or 8-10"? Either way looks like you're in for a solid positive bust :-) Congrats!

Measured around 4.3" best guess here but intensity has definitely picked up again and snow is blowing all over the place. We had a long period of really light stuff after the good band came through this morning.

Was thinking 12" here before today but based on the strong performance from the daytime OES and WAA I'm leaning closer to 14-16" once all is said and done.

Yeah, huge bust. But I've prolly gotten 3.5 of the 5 just out of ocean enhancement which I didn't believe would make it back this far west. I grew up in Peabody, so I know what OES snow looks like and this is the first time in my 20 years in Lowell that I can remember seeing this much of it. Still coming down!

You think they've seen more QPF than modeled? To me is just looks like maximizing snow growth with big ratios. I'd be interested to see a core out of those 8-12" fluff zones. That twitter pic literally looked like 30:1 to me...like where 0.5" QPF produces 15" of snow.

I think so, but it's also a combo of great flakes and no wind. That piles up.

Archived