• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

Looks like the arctic jet wants to join in on the fun with the polar and ST jets both phasing the arctic jet is also in play.  If it can phase in time we may see a major snowstorm actually verify for a lot of SNE.  The surface low is lowest over NC down to 1003.8mb, while the primary is down to 1004.4mb over PA.

Don't worry too much about all the details. Sit down, relax, and watch the snow fall!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it has nothing to do with snowfall amounts, just visibility, wind speed, and duration.

It's silly because in all likelihood it was done to avoid putting their largest city in the blizzard warning. But they are up surrounding BOS so this storm will be called a blizzard whether they wanted it or not. Heck it was called one before today.

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear. I understand blizzard criteria... just extrapolating from the Box snowfall map 14-18 circle around Boston that they acknowledge snowfall intensity can't be so different from immediately north or south. And of course we've been flirting with wind criteria all afternoon at Logan. Objectively it doesn't make sense. And in terms of impact: For us on this forum, it's a weenie badge of honor as sbos_wx said. But you can argue people will dismiss this because "it's not a blizzard".

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the trigger is pulled later tonight.

I'm trying to look at it objectively, and I'm not really altering my warning decisions too much based on the population of Portland, ME versus Pittsburg, NH. In fact more people I would probably hedge the higher end to safety's sake.

Hi-Res NAM keeps the >20 knot 10-m winds confined to the blizz-warned areas and just outside of Boston proper. I'm sure that probably goes into the thinking too. Although right on the coastline in South Boston I bet the winds will be roaring quite a bit stronger than back here in the more western part of the city.

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear. I understand blizzard criteria... just extrapolating from the Box snowfall map 14-18 circle around Boston that they acknowledge snowfall intensity can't be so different from immediately north or south. And of course we've been flirting with wind criteria all afternoon at Logan. Objectively it doesn't make sense. And in terms of impact: For us on this forum, it's a weenie badge of honor as sbos_wx said. But you can argue people will dismiss this because "it's not a blizzard".

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the trigger is pulled later tonight.

Given the current media hype on the evening news... I don't think anyone will be dismissing this because its not a blizzard.  The general public thinks any storm over 10" is a blizzard anyway, regardless of temps/wind/visibility lol.

Hi-Res NAM keeps the >20 knot 10-m winds confined to the blizz-warned areas and just outside of Boston proper. I'm sure that probably goes into the thinking too. Although right on the coastline in South Boston I bet the winds will be roaring quite a bit stronger than back here in the more western part of the city.

Outside of the Cape I definitely think it's confined to the areas really close to the coast, but I think they'll be very close at BOS one way or the other.

The current scene. It has started to snow pretty hard here.

All things considered probably have 5-6" OTG. Windswept back deck.

DSCF0053_zpsb0c5a675.jpg

Shot of the front of the house. Roads and sidewalks are like a frozen tundra. It's about 1/3rd of  mile to see the water. 3/4th across the water to the usually visible JFK  library.

DSCF0060_zps8c40269b.jpg

I'm down to 19 and dropping fast

Just looking at the TDWR radar base radial velocity 20 deg elevation radar, I believe you can pick up the CF with some slight color variations in Norfolk County.  Looks like its running from just south of E. Milton Sq, to the 128/24 intersection to Stoughton Ctr (1/3 mile from my house, I'm still at 24.3) to N. Easton. 

Archived