mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Wednesday Soaker Discussing

CT Rain

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil had a very interesting discussion with our work insurance company about max winds in hurricanes and their impacts in SNE. Tomorrow I will scan the building code map they provided. Has work at 115,sustained while the Cape is 105.I tried explaining the flaws in their map. Lol they were clueless. But the recommendations they want done to our roofs are 1/2 million dollar impacts so it is a big deal, all based on the new hurricane maps.

I have the IRC Code at work and that sounds about right for CT. I believe CC is in a 110mph zone, while all of SE MA is in a 100mph zone. Anything within 1mi of the coast has to have impact glazing and be designed in a specific manner. There are specific manuals for each zone that you can purchase as well. How old is the Museum? 5? 10? years old. All of this stuff is being driven by the insurance companies so some of it is overkill I would agree.

. I think the renewed Arctic push has some good squalls unrelated to the synoptic system. That's a powerful push again. Some decent vorticity involved too.

I agree with you.  There should be some residual moisture (especially in the low levels after 1-3" of rain) for that back end vorticity and trough axis pushing across the region.  It'll also entrain some lake moisture from the Great Lakes, so I could see a radar that shows fairly widespread snow showers.  The trick will be if they are heavy enough or last long enough in one location to get some light accums.  That's a pretty good push of cold air again for this time of year. 

I have the IRC Code at work and that sounds about right for CT. I believe CC is in a 110mph zone, while all of SE MA is in a 100mph zone. Anything within 1mi of the coast has to have impact glazing and be designed in a specific manner. There are specific manuals for each zone that you can purchase as well. How old is the Museum? 5? 10? years old. All of this stuff is being driven by the insurance companies so some of it is overkill I would agree.

17 years old, 7 miles inland, impact glazing, Viracon. No way we have ever had 115 sustained at 30 feet. We have had an indepedant anaylysis done, big fight. I did a lot of research , the maps are ludicrous , they have 120 sustained in an arc from Westerly to GON, max in all of SNE. The open face beaches even in SE RI, CC are like we are 7 miles inland. It's like someone drew a map basing all LFs in Old Saybrook at Cat 4 strength .

17 years old, 7 miles inland, impact glazing, Viracon. No way we have ever had 115 sustained at 30 feet. We have had an indepedant anaylysis done, big fight. I did a lot of research , the maps are ludicrous , they have 120 sustained in an arc from Westerly to GON, max in all of SNE. The open face beaches even in RI, CC are less than we are 7 miles inland. It's like someone drew a map basing all LFs in Old Saybrook at Cat 4 strength .

I agree its ludicrous but building codes are now driven by insurance companies.

Its going to be a wild wednesday. i think you and i gust into the 40s, maybe 50mph.

2-3" or rain too. few power outages like the other day.

Well just wrapped up a bear of an update. A lot of stuff to pour over.

I'm starting to like the winds behind the system more. The LLJ is pretty nicely situated above the inversion, I'm not too worried outside of coastal areas. Maybe right along the front we can mix some of it down. But otherwise it just looks like a typical blustery, isolated stronger gust kind of LLJ. However, with the low tracking right across the region, the best rise/fall is going to move right overhead. Doesn't look as impressive as yesterday, but still pretty solid CAA gusts.

Very impressive winds coming in with this system.  Any amount of mixing will bring down some serious wind gusts.  Only problem is that we have like 0 mixing. Convection is going to be the best chance at bringing those winds down.  

NAM is advertising 10 m winds gusts north of 50 kts for the eastern half of SNE.

Very impressive winds coming in with this system.  Any amount of mixing will bring down some serious wind gusts.  Only problem is that we have like 0 mixing. Convection is going to be the best chance at bringing those winds down.  

NAM is advertising 10 m winds gusts north of 50 kts for the eastern half of SNE.

soundings are quite impressive for eastern MA...pretty much sustained >30 knots at the surface for several hours.  

I really wish we automatically downloaded the CHH Bufkit files here at the office. I know it's not hard to do, but one less step to weenie out on their forecast soundings would be nice.

Yeah--things should be pretty good out east.  Should be meh out here.  But we wouldn't hear the wind over the torrential rains out here anyway.:)

Perhaps we'll do okay with the backside CAA.

I wonder if you get lucky with this tonight and tomorrow morning?

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
...BURST OF SNOW POSSIBLE FOR THE MORNING RUSH HOUR TUESDAY...

AS OF 650 PM EST...HAVE MADE SOME MAJOR CHANGES TO THE GRIDDED
DATABASE FOR LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.
LATEST RUC13/HRRR
AND 21Z/SREF SUITE INDICATE A BURST OF WARM ADVECTION
PRECIPITATION...DEVELOPING AFTER 08Z TONIGHT...AND LINGERING UNTIL
13Z-15Z/TUESDAY. RECENT SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES ABUNDANT MID
AND HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE APPROACHING FROM THE SOUTHWEST...IN
ADVANCE OF THE INCOMING CLIPPER-TYPE SYSTEM ACROSS THE GREAT
LAKES. AS STRONG DYNAMICAL LIFT INTERACTS WITH THE INCOMING MID
LEVEL MOISTURE...PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BEFORE
DAYBREAK...AND LINGER INTO MID MORNING TUESDAY. THE ONLY QUESTION
IS...HOW QUICKLY WITH THE LOW LEVELS SATURATE TO ALLOW PRECIP TO
REACH THE GROUND. AT THIS TIME...BASED HEAVILY ON RUC/HRRR
OUTPUT...HAVE ADDED LIKELY POPS TO MUCH OF THE CAPITAL
REGION/MOHAWK RIVER VALLEY/BERKSHIRES/EASTERN CATSKILL
REGIONS...WITH CHC POPS ELSEWHERE. SNOWFALL ACCUMS WILL GENERALLY
BE A DUSTING TO AN INCH...ALTHOUGH THERE MAY BE LOCALLY HIGHER
AMTS JUST N OF THE MOHAWK RIVER...ESP ACROSS PORTIONS OF SARATOGA
CO...WHERE AROUND AN INCH IS EXPECTED...AND ALSO ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE
CENTRAL TACONICS AND NORTHERN BERKSHIRES...WHERE 1-3 INCHES COULD
OCCUR.

Yeah--things should be pretty good out east.  Should be meh out here.  But we wouldn't hear the wind over the torrential rains out here anyway. :)

Perhaps we'll do okay with the backside CAA.

soundings are quite impressive for eastern MA...pretty much sustained >30 knots at the surface for several hours.  

I don't know if you have, but take a look at some of the forecasted hodographs for the storm.  They are quite loopy. lol.  The combination of both speed & directional shear are such that the the curves do not stay on the plots that twisterdata produces.

Archived