joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

NWUS51 KLWX 191831
LSRLWX

Preliminary Local Storm Report...Corrected
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
131 PM EST Fri Jan 19 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0100 PM     Snow             Bwi Airport             39.18N  76.65W
01/19/2024  M4.1 inch        Anne Arundel       MD   Official NWS Obs

&&

Corrected remarks

Event Number LWX2401798
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Where you at?? I'm down by 103/100 and it was pretty heavy 8-12pm. Probably have 5" total. Last hour or so its been very light, fine snow.

This! It was never big fluffy flakes, but it was damn nice. Still a steady light snow here now. I’m also 100/103 too. I’m off Wesley if you know where that is. Assuming you might. ;)

1 minute ago, yoda said:
NWUS51 KLWX 191831
LSRLWX

Preliminary Local Storm Report...Corrected
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
131 PM EST Fri Jan 19 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0100 PM     Snow             Bwi Airport             39.18N  76.65W
01/19/2024  M4.1 inch        Anne Arundel       MD   Official NWS Obs

&&

Corrected remarks

Event Number LWX2401798

I believe this puts BWI right at 10 inches even on the season, unless they recorded something the day of the snow squall. I know they somehow didn't record anything with the December snow.

I think what people were looking for as an IVT was actually the secondary arctic front wrapping around the combined exploding coastal and this trailing inland low which did in fact act like a slider. Wind directions at altitude range from NE at surface to N at 925, NW around 700 mbs to WSW above 500 mbs, so the secondary front is tending to rotate around the southern low and it has a shape somewhat similar to an IVT. What I mean is, no IVT will appear, this secondary arctic front will slowly pull southeast and eventually be offshore, any further snow after frontal band still in progress will be from convective showers in bands streaming through lower gaps in topography to west. 

This storm has actually played out about like it did here on a 33% scale, except we have higher hills to our west which tended to block out a few squalls that formed off still-open Lake Okanagan. We just cleared out within an hour after snow ended here. After nearly two days of clear skies, getting a very light top up of about 1-2" but I can't direct this one towards you, sorry.

After snow on snow it will be cold on cold, to mid-day monday at least. GFS showed one good snow signal on Jan 28th. Pattern will reload, I believe, in mid-Feb. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I refuse to believe that we've got less snow than DCA. W/ temps below freezing and the fact they've got a snowboard running with proper measurements I may just steal that total at the very least

I'm at 3.25" so running the same.  If I swept I'd probably have a little more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

I thought about heading to the mountains this weekend, but the storm will mostly be over after tonight and the temps will be absurdly frigid with double digit negative windchills, so I chickened out :lol:

Well if you or anyone else changes their mind, the offer stands! Upslope is really starting to crank now...spent the last 90 minutes digging out and it is the best workout ever. Temp at midnight was 24.6 now down to 20.3 with west winds picking up to 20 MPH. 

• Like 2

3” measured at my place and continuous light snow. Refreshed everything, but definitely not the 5-8” they upgraded us to for some reason. I mentioned last night that I was concerned for the county with the best returns aimed for MoCo to HoCo which I’m happy materialized!

I’m glad everyone in here got some snow and some really cashed on this event. Loving all the pics. Keep them coming :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Measured 3.5" ~1 pm and cleared. Just took an amazing walk. Soaking it up.

Conversation with someone shoveling their driveway with kids playing in snow:

Me: afternoon

Him: yeah...uh nice weather...huh?

me: you like it?

both:

me: I'm a huge snow fan!

him: when we can get it.

snow weenies know snow weenies

• Haha 4