Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 23rd Storm Threat: keeping positive vibes, ending chances of futility

TalcottWx

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Isn't Townsend at like 600'?  I wouldn't exactly call that "lowlands". 

With all due respect you do not know the area well then. That area around 600’ is the lowland for the region and often a elephant graveyard for snow. Most of the area is much higher than that and you really want to be above 1,500’ to score on a lot of systems. It’s a stark difference. For example those areas around 600’ average maybe 70” of snow. My area 10 minutes up the road is 130”.

Many of the resort and mountain communities around the Stratton and Mount Snow region are well above 1,500’ with some rising to about 2,400’ feet. And of course the peaks are 3500-4000. 

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Seems like another temp bust today. Mos was 37-42 for MHT. Not sure it helps much later, but it may leave quite of bit of snow on the trees to load up tonight for the areas staying mostly snow. 

Yea temps are busting.  We have quite a snow load on trees but perhaps the storm will be windy enough?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Heading to do some sledding mid week. Amazing how when heading to snow…it doesn’t matter no where near as much if you get screwed where you live tomorrow or Wednesday.  

That's why I'm going to head north in a couple weeks for a few days to snowmobile. As long as there's a good pack up there, all's good.

You going up to the cabin Wolfie?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Seems like another temp bust today. Mos was 37-42 for MHT. Not sure it helps much later, but it may leave quite of bit of snow on the trees to load up tonight for the areas staying mostly snow. 

Exactly! Not a lot of snow has come down from the trees. Likely setting the stage for greater tree damage and more widespread power outages.

43 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

With all due respect you do not know the area well then. That area around 600’ is the lowland for the region and often a elephant graveyard for snow. Most of the area is much higher than that and you really want to be above 1,500’ to score on a lot of systems. It’s a stark difference. For example those areas around 600’ average maybe 70” of snow. My area 10 minutes up the road is 130”.

Many of the resort and mountain communities around the Stratton and Mount Snow region are well above 1,500’ with some rising to about 2,400’ feet. And of course the peaks are 3500-4000. 

Exactly, the differences can be extreme. I only had a foot at my house at 900’ during the December storm, while above 2k it was 24”+. My favorite snow spot in the area is on 30 by the old snow valley resort. When I look to buy up here eventually it will be in that area. Overall this looks like a good one here, after the warm air aloft crushed hearts and dreams with round one. 

1 hour ago, greenmtnwx said:

Many of the resort and mountain communities around the Stratton and Mount Snow region are well above 1,500’ with some rising to about 2,400’ feet. And of course the peaks are 3500-4000

I’m familiar with the area but I’m pretty sure if an elevation of 600 - 800 feet in Massachusetts is going to do well with snow, an elevation of 600-800 feet in Vermont is going to do well with snow.  

edit:  I guess my original point was I thought you made it sound like he wasn’t going to do well where he is but that area, even at a lower elevation is going to do just fine.  I mean sure, they won’t jackpot.  I was thinking about more from the perspective of who gets taint and Townsend won’t.