Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The airmass though is warming on Thursday. I'd rather it show peak 925-850 temps then and not overnight Thursday night.

Gonna have to waste some of that energy too on melting pack rather than heating up the surface. Even if the pack melts out near NH border earlier, the air is still going to be traveling over snow pack in MA in RI/E CT to get there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gonna have to waste some of that energy too on melting pack rather than heating up the surface. Even if the pack melts out near NH border earlier, the air is still going to be traveling over snow pack in MA in RI/E CT to get there.

Through Wed much of this will be gone. I think Wed will take care of much of what's left.  Just the piles. Trace to 2" upstream nashua area. 

nohrsc_full_sd.png

12 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

This from a guy who's growing bamboo in the biggest CAD and snow retention zone of CNH?!

Lol, no, inside.

Actually my bamboo thrives in temps of 0F or warmer. The pack helps keep the rhizomes warm. If I was in CON it'd probably be toast right now due to times where there's no pack and temps radiate down to -20F.

I knew you weren't seed starting outdoors now, but it sounded like you planned on planting in Mar/Apr?? That sounds optimistic even in a warm early spring.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Actually my bamboo thrives in temps of 0F or warmer. The pack helps keep the rhizomes warm. If I was in CON it'd probably be toast right now due to times where there's no pack and temps radiate down to -20F.

I knew you weren't seed starting outdoors now, but it sounded like you planned on planting in Mar/Apr?? That sounds optimistic even in a warm early spring.

you'd be amazed how many years I have the early stuff in in March.  Spinach, for example, and some other greens.  Then April for a lot of stuff.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:29 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Starting to think most of SNE has seen last snowfall 

Let's See.  For the Past 2 weeks, ALL I've heard is "Winter is Over, Winter is Done, Forget chasing storms, Get great for the lawn thread, It's so gonzo, being on 50*." Over and over and over.  

And I JUST HAD one of the All-Time Most Memorable Snowstorms I'll never forget, ESPECIALLY since Most on this board, you Included Kevin, got Screwed on it.  Makes up a TINY bit for missing out on so many Historic storms or getting Totally RI Snow Hole Screwed in other storms you guys got Big totals in from December 2020 to the 2013 Fujiwawa.  

And then let's go back to BEFORE the Blizzard, it was "Winter is Over, Winter is Done, Forget chasing storms, Get great for the lawn thread, It's so gonzo, being on 50*." Over and over and over.  

Do you guys Ever learn?  Until it's May 31st..... we ALWAYS have a chance, and not Only a chance, a chance at something Historic.  :cory:B):bike::guitar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Currently, those of us who live in central and western CT are way below average at the moment. We need about 20+” to reach average. 

I have no clue what I average here, maybe 40-45 inches? If so, that is the same here.....going to be tough with the current weather pattern. Maybe we get a lucky March storm this year, last year we had zero snow in March

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I'll sell 65-70 this week. Although the GFS stalls the fropa a bit Fri morning so maybe SE MA can get some early 60s before the CAA offsets it.

Thu looks like a lot of clouds and a limit to the mixing (inversion below 850) and there will still be pack in most spots. It's gradual WAA all day and eventually we pop that dew sector at the sfc.

Just looking at the gfs soundings Thursday and there is definitely an inversion around 925. Even if we fully mix below the inversion it'll be tough to crack much above 60F with 6-8c 925s. It does wash out eventually, but then we're fighting overnight timing and rain. 

4 minutes ago, White Rain said:

While one of the better snow depth maps. That map can still be garbage at times. It’s not close around here but wasn’t too bad before the thaw. Guessing it will adjust up in areas like typically happens after a melt out.  

Those run into some problems when you have a lot of the region with a glacier and then pockets with 25:1 fluff. It's biased toward the high density packs right now so when it sees the SNE fluff with little water content it's only estimating a few inches.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Those run into some problems when you have a lot of the region with a glacier and then pockets with 25:1 fluff. It's biased toward the high density packs right now so when it sees the SNE fluff with little water content it's only estimating a few inches.

Which is kinda what you want - no? I want to see through the aesthetic. 

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man all guidance with a nice ridge from AK into the North Pole...with A monster vortex to our north and northeast to end the month and into March. 

Would that monster vortex provide the cold for anything that may mozie on by? 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weeklies went cold too for the first half of March.

As we said a few days back…She ain’t done yet. 

42 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, it's March '15-esque. would be an active overrunning look if it were to verify

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6028000.thumb.png.5ea15b818f5520322a1c5e4a327f480c.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6006400.thumb.png.7e2a2965175a3fde99ee3a57546d438b.png3wS8ntr0Oc.png.b0ec9783aed490902a292a73f3cbc94c.png

Wondering why the PV has been biased on this side of the hemisphere this year like that.   Seems to be a recurrent theme to set that up - although that may be the first time I've seen it closer to the D. Straight/Greeland area.    The flow between it, and that drapery of warmish heights along and S is creating a hefty wind problem for modeling S/Ws...    Sucks.   gets a bit annoying.  Fast flow type has been a plague in recent decade, too -

• Like 2