• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Two warm cutters could wipe out all natural trail skiing in VT and NH, IMO.

The pack is not that robust at the ski places. I have basically the same amount of snow on the season as Wildcat/BW/Cannon (if not a little more) and the pack here would be really decimated if we get two 47 degree atmospheric river jobs back to back. The rest of Feb looks pretty hideous to me. I am expecting to be down to just a little snow if the current progs pan out. Then we see if we can rebuild in March to save the spring skiing season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Good to see models converging on two solid cutters, one of course next Thursday and perhaps an even better one 2/23 ish. 

The cutters are likely legit.  I'm assuming your motivation surrounds warmth?  

For those in the spring/warm enthusiasm side:  the numerical PNA teleconnector at CPC has shallowed some regarding the previous negative index mode.  Still has the index slumping off.. but, keeps the -PNA rather weakly so - centered on D7.   In fact, it's really only down -.5 SD, which is not a very convincing look.  Prior it was -1, with a more coherence.  

This shallowing is then followed by the index rises back positive going through week 2.   

I realize the MJO this ..and La Nina that... and climate change this ...and all that, but these are more like garnishing indicators and will take a back seat if the seasonal persistence ( by virtue of already verifying...) decides to return.  The recent 4 weeks of the hemispheric circulation eddy was rather decoupled from the La Nina base-line expectation, as noted by CPC's recent MJO weekly publications - although last week they surmised it may "RE" couple, based on the RMM 3-6 migration being in constructive interference with La Nina..etc.   This latter may still happen...and that may start tipping the extended PNA back downward in time - we'll see... But, the point of this verbal journey is to demo that there might be some competing forces in play that make a warm out look less confident.   In the dailies, there's deeply gelid air mass plumes still loading into the Canadian shield in all guidance... that's typically a "silent -EPO" tendency. That index actually has a longer term negative correlation coef. wrt to  the PNA so having it be out of phase signals the conflict.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The cutters are likely legit.  I'm assuming your motivation surrounds warmth?  

For those in the spring/warm enthusiasm side:  the numerical PNA teleconnector at CPC has shallowed some regarding the previous negative index mode.  Still has the index slumping off.. but, keeps the -PNA rather weakly so - centered on D7.   In fact, it's really only down -.5 SD, which is not a very convincing look.  Prior it was -1, with a more coherence.  

This shallowing is then followed by the index rises back positive going through week 2.   

I realize the MJO this ..and La Nina that... and climate change this ...and all that, but these are more like garnishing indicators and will take a back seat if the seasonal persistence ( by virtue of already verifying...) decides to return.  The recent 4 weeks of the hemispheric circulation eddy was rather decoupled from the La Nina base-line expectation, as noted by CPC's recent MJO weekly publications - although last week they surmised it may "RE" couple, based on the RMM 3-6 migration being in constructive interference with La Nina..etc.   This latter may still happen...and that may start tipping the extended PNA back downward in time - we'll see... But, the point of this verbal journey is to demo that there might be some competing forces in play that make a warm out look less confident.   In the dailies, there's deeply gelid air mass plumes still loading into the Canadian shield in all guidance... that's typically a "silent -EPO" tendency. That index actually has a longer term negative correlation coef. wrt to  the PNA so having it be out of phase signals the conflict.  

What you’re describing could be one of those overrunning patterns where if we are north of the boundary we stay cold and get snow while much of the rest of the country warms

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George001 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f3453d20678497dcc0cec5f72424dbb6.jpegWe need this to weaken much faster for a big March. We aren’t going to get a SSW or anything before it’s too late, but if we can get it to weaken to like average and then get some pacific help we have a shot.

Probably too late.  We can still get a dank and chilly April though.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Borrowed from MA forum

cfs-daily-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_7day-7302400.thumb.png.fd50786c6e7f10e1221941201843ab45.png

I could be wrong, but I feel like the CFS had done pretty well this winter. We all know the weeklies have blown for the most part. But maybe the CFS has been bashed too much? As long as there is cold air left in Canada, snowy "surprises" like today can still happen in the shorter term

• Like 3

Yeah it's kinda boring looking ahead.   Maybe the week's end system is interesting for wind and ribbon squall if that's a kick. Originally, I thought that had a chance to flatten like the sleet event last week - it too was a flat wave cutter when it was D5+ ..etc.  But still waiting for any trend to even manifest is a paint peeling. 

Otherwise, watching indices modulate off the warm throttle, but not conclusively so... such that varied outcomes not sufficient to induce much, oy ... None of that is exactly lighting the stage up with entertainment really.  It's like we're sitting in the auditorium with half illumination watching set dec move props during sound and production checks.

More like an opportunity to check out. Maybe engage in other hobbies ... check back in once in awhile in the off chance that anything might emerge.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Two warm cutters could wipe out all natural trail skiing in VT and NH, IMO.

The pack is not that robust at the ski places. I have basically the same amount of snow on the season as Wildcat/BW/Cannon (if not a little more) and the pack here would be really decimated if we get two 47 degree atmospheric river jobs back to back. The rest of Feb looks pretty hideous to me. I am expecting to be down to just a little snow if the current progs pan out. Then we see if we can rebuild in March to save the spring skiing season.

Snowpack in New England is usually only two warm cutters away from a real bad time unless it’s a truly bomber snow year.  Life in the East.  It won’t be pretty but we’ll make the best of it.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

To add insult to Phin/PF ... the Euro with a run at 70, D10 ...  not that it'll survive 10 days of fractals in the models and actually happen, but it's the gesture that counts... LOL

70F in February would be funny to be honest.  If it's not going to snow, might as well go for broke.

• Like 1