Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

We never got the grinch storm or NYE cutter like we usually do, but to get it in Feb totally blows and is unexpected. when was the last time we got a Feb cutter?

I can’t remember. Even those big Feb torches of 2017 and 2018 occurred without a cutter. I was saying a few weeks ago how hard it is to go full blown cutter in Feb but here we go….

Just now, NW_of_GYX said:

The skiing will be OK but the rest of the valley will be pretty melted. That place torches with the best of them. 

Yeah, probably ski Bretton Woods or at least my family and friends will. (I’m being cautious of my knee)   I was hoping to do some cross country skiing but I’m all set with bulletproof trails.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

We never got the grinch storm or NYE cutter like we usually do, but to get it in Feb totally blows and is unexpected. when was the last time we got a Feb cutter?

Yep this is literally the worst possible timing too going right into Feb vacation week....just in time to ruin all the ski/snow mobile trails.

Yeah I'll sell 65-70 this week. Although the GFS stalls the fropa a bit Fri morning so maybe SE MA can get some early 60s before the CAA offsets it.

Thu looks like a lot of clouds and a limit to the mixing (inversion below 850) and there will still be pack in most spots. It's gradual WAA all day and eventually we pop that dew sector at the sfc.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I'll sell 65-70 this week. Although the GFS stalls the fropa a bit Fri morning so maybe SE MA can get some early 60s before the CAA offsets it.

Thu looks like a lot of clouds and a limit to the mixing (inversion below 850) and there will still be pack in most spots. It's gradual WAA all day and eventually we pop that dew sector at the sfc.

That’s when all hell will break loose 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We also don't get 65-70F in February on due south winds.

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

next December..maybe

I know. Not that we can't get a surprise snowstorm in March, but I'm not seeing anything in the pattern that shows us getting back into a wintry pattern again. Just not seeing it. A transient pattern is all I see. Maybe we'll get a little more snow here and there, but this winter at least here in Central Connecticut will be just below average, we may just squeak out average. But those to are East, I think they've done very well and good for them. We'll get our turn in the future, no doubt about it. And I'm patient and can wait

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I know. Not that we can't get a surprise snowstorm in March, but I'm not seeing anything in the pattern that shows us getting back into a wintry pattern again. Just not seeing it. A transient pattern is all I see. Maybe we'll get a little more snow here and there, but this winter at least here in Central Connecticut will be just below average, we may just squeak out average. But those to are East, I think they've done very well and good for them. We'll get our turn in the future, no doubt about it. And I'm patient and can wait

I'm east and it has been terrible for winter enthusiasts. barely 30" and we avg over 60"

5 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Currently, those of us who live in central and western CT are way below average at the moment. We need about 20+” to reach average. 

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We also don't get 65-70F in February on due south winds.

This is SW/SSW. It's the classic orographic assist up the eastern Apps right up into York ME. @dendrite isn't in as good a spot for this. Snowpack, elevation, longitude, will cap potential in his back yard. Long 60's for the NH Seacoast away from the immediate shore. If I had to pick - Nashua may be good for 70.

ecmwf_mslp_wind_us_29.png

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The airmass though is warming on Thursday. I'd rather it show peak 925-850 temps then and not overnight Thursday night.

Timing is biggest issue right now. I believe it will speed up a bit, flow is very progessive.  But you're right if I had to find one criticism for this potential-- it's timing.