Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

46 minutes ago, White Rain said:

We picked up about 4” of fluff on top of this

F3B26B81-3B24-4246-89F5-5D8A5A022BC5.thumb.jpeg.10706079032a47a64142d739b252e5c0.jpeg

and the map shows 0-2”. See that happen frequently after a melt out. It seems to over model the melting of the dense pack. Or under model the amount of LE.  Just my observation.

IIRC there’s a spatial element to it where it’s estimating pack density based on observations. The satellite remote sensing detects the water content and then the raw obs are fit to it and the gaps are filled in. So fresh new powder gets underestimated. That was years ago though.

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

I’m seeing a lot of people writing off winter, wayyyyy too early. Honestly, I’d be surprised if we don’t get at least one more significant storm (6+) before spring.

I’d love for it to end, but every nonweenie knows we have 2 months to go. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, dendrite said:

I’d love for it to end, but every nonweenie knows we have 2 months to go. 

Yeah although climo isn’t quite as favorable as late Jan to early Feb, March is without question a winter month. I don’t know what the exact data is for this, but it seems like in SNE it’s easier to get a big March than a big December. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

Yeah although climo isn’t quite as favorable as late Jan to early Feb, March is without question a winter month. I don’t know what the exact data is for this, but it seems like in SNE it’s easier to get a big March than a big December. 

It’s easier to get a big March than a big December. The empirical data backs that up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gonna have to waste some of that energy too on melting pack rather than heating up the surface. Even if the pack melts out near NH border earlier, the air is still going to be traveling over snow pack in MA in RI/E CT to get there.

lol that wont be a problem here   should warm quick

I’m feeling much more optimistic about winter than I was a few days ago with the big overperformer yesterday and positive trends on the models for the long range. 
Boston already has had more snow than all of last year (I believe Boston finished with just under 40 last year) and we have a month and a half left of winter. image.thumb.jpeg.869d9be8d7a08e09835159739832c729.jpeg

• Haha 1