Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

To be honest Ray, I don’t think anybody can tell what will happen next year, after this years surprises.  There’s always something that throws a stick in the spokes it seems, that changes the expected outcomes many times.  

Yea, there were def. surprises this year....I'd give myself a C- on the season at this stage, but obviously will have a much better idea in a month or so. I was right about this not being a blow torch, non-starter season, though. Its just too bad that the interior couldn't catch a break....yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah a feel like a 495 and beyond winter is coming soon. Send me to the shed.

I could still get porked from that angle, too...see 2018-2019. I think a lot of the appeal for this area is that its tough to TOTALLY lose out, though its seldom in the bonanza area. Like this season, as it bad as its been, I've still cleared out near Springfield by like a foot.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I could still get porked from that angle, too...see 2018-2019. I think a lot of the appeal for this area is that its tough to TOTALLY lose out, though its seldom in the bonanza area. Like this season, as it bad as its been, I've still cleared out near Springfield by like a foot.

Yeah you guys retain well and typically do fine. It's been a weird season for sure. 

A lot of this season is sample size. we really have not had many events to try and help even things out. It hasn't been dry, but sort of a dearth of winter events. 

That definitely could change in March.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah you guys retain well and typically do fine. It's been a weird season for sure. 

A lot of this season is sample size. we really have not had many events to try and help even things out. It hasn't been dry, but sort of a dearth of winter events. 

That definitely could change in March.

Just see what happens. I've accepted it at this point...take what I get.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Like 93% or so of my snow is from 3 events. That's just weird. 

Yea, three main events this year and they have all CJed from Steve to Will to Boston....kind of a microcosm of the past 4 seasons in the aggregate. That's why he sits back and smiles, while everyone else sweats QPF.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, what are the odds that the mid atl and coastal SNE would own consecutive  la nina seasons...and this one actually coupled, and they still owned it.

Now next season will be one of those interior elevation el nino years.

Yup. Models will hone in on sne historical coastal snows until PF pulls a rogue meso model at 36hr that dumps 2ft in the whites …then the nw trends commence as we bite our tongues to act like we are happy with a WAA 10” while NNE weenies are shocked they pulled off another hail mary.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. Models will hone in on sne historical coastal snows until PF pulls a rogue meso model at 36hr that dumps 2ft in the whites …then the nw trends commence as we bite our tongues to act like we are happy with a WAA 10” while NNE weenies are shocked they pulled off another hail mary.

That sounds pretty damn good right now....made a living on those in 07-08.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That March 2001 storm.....I do remember that feeling of knowing it would be a lot down the drain..at least where I was. Did it end up a decent last 3rd of the storm to finish. I think I had like 8-9". 

Brockton? I think Boston had 11".

It was a nice event in Wilmington...like 18-20" of paste....where I am now, it was pretty epic.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Brockton? I think Boston had 11".

It was a nice event in Wilmington...like 18-20" of paste....where I am now, it was pretty epic.

Marshfield. It started as snow and then went to hours of rain and sleet before flipping back to snow on the last day. We slotted a little too. I remember watching the radar over your area and into adjacent NH thinking WTF. You knew they were getting crushed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Still have tomorrow morning at the rad spots. Maybe an outside shot late weekend as well. 

Wouldn't be shocked at another arctic outbreak with that -EPO/+PNA look on ensembles late month/early March....though once you get that late, they don't have quite the bite.

Though I do remember early Mar 2007 being pretty nasty.

• Like 1

It seems back in the 80’s (yea the 80’s again) we’d routinely have at least three or four storms a season that would cut west and thus make the coastal plain change to rain. You gotta figure a regression back to that is in order someday soon. If I had a nickel every time I went to sleep with heavy snow and woke up to rain (and school).. Well I would have had several nickels. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wouldn't be shocked at another arctic outbreak with that -EPO/+PNA look on ensembles late month/early March....though once you get that late, they don't have quite the bite.

I'd love a repeat of St Paddy Day 2007. Just over a foot of powder around here.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Like 93% or so of my snow is from 3 events. That's just weird. 

Yeah this year has had a dearth of advisory type events. Part of the reason the interior is taking it on the chin. Even a place like Boston usually needs more than a few events to have 40"+, but getting a 2 footer helps.

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I remember time's in the past driving from Coventry to skiing in S. Vermont,  were there was little to no snow from Enfield to Northampton. Then increasing snowcover to near the Vermont border with Massachusetts. 

I've seen that many times myself. From the ridge in East Granby over through Enfield and up to near Northampton has always been a snow hole...damn river valley :lol:

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a rough first 10 days at Plymouth. I recall that one day that was barely above zero during midday with full sun and a biting wind. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That was a rough first 10 days at Plymouth. I recall that one day that was barely above zero during midday with full sun and a biting wind. 

When you look at the map of that outbreak, that's how to get it done late in the year. You want that delivery being drilled in from the NNW minimizing any chance of modifying at lower latitudes.

Mar6_2007.gif