Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Fort Kent was a cool town.  Took pride in being so far north.

Oh ya…for sure. Great folks up there. I’ll be riding into and out of Fort Kent many times while I’m there. Madawaska is very cool too..most northeasterly town in the lower 48 I believe. Truly a Great snowmobiling area. Caribou is another great lil town too. That whole place is a different world altogether. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Did you head north or west?

Actually did a Southern loop from there, heading to royalton, south to Barnard (best trails and deepest snow),  around up to Pittsfield then Stockton, then back to bethel.  The trails around Pittsfield were getting beat up with traffic and seemingly lower snow depth.  Heading back into bethel a tree had just fallen across the main trail and cut off bethel from the west, like 5 miles from my truck. There was no way around it. The re route north was 20 miles and thanks to some locals we were saved from a 40 mile re route up around randolph.  I am sure a lot of people got a surprise with that tree.  The locals we met immediately notified the club.  

One bad thing about Stockton trails and north  (12, 4 and 12b) was that roads are a part of the trails in a many spots, and they were burnt. My sled looked like it was dragged up a beach when we got home with grit and sand in everything.  The re route was pretty nasty in that respect, but hey, it was a re route and not the main route.

The snow to the south down through Barnard actually seemed to be the deepest, more than what we encountered to the north oddly.  Perhaps there was some elevation at play and the pittsfield area is a valley?  Dunno.

We had no plan and even if we did the tree would’ve effed it up anyway.  It was a good snowmobile adventure in a new place so a good day for me and the boy. I hope we can sneak in another ride.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Actually did a Southern loop from there, heading to royalton, south to Barnard (best trails and deepest snow),  around up to Pittsfield then Stockton, then back to bethel.  The trails around Pittsfield were getting beat up with traffic and seemingly lower snow depth.  Heading back into bethel a tree had just fallen across the main trail and cut off bethel from the west, like 5 miles from my truck. There was no way around it. The re route north was 20 miles and thanks to some locals we were saved from a 40 mile re route up around randolph.  I am sure a lot of people got a surprise with that tree.  The locals we met immediately notified the club.  

One bad thing about Stockton trails and north  (12, 4 and 12b) was that roads are a part of the trails in a many spots, and they were burnt. My sled looked like it was dragged up a beach when we got home with grit and sand in everything.  The re route was pretty nasty in that respect, but hey, it was a re route and not the main route.

The snow to the south down through Barnard actually seemed to be the deepest, more than what we encountered to the north oddly.  Perhaps there was some elevation at play and the pittsfield area is a valley?  Dunno.

We had no plan and even if we did the tree would’ve effed it up anyway.  It was a good snowmobile adventure in a new place so a good day for me and the boy. I hope we can sneak in another ride.

Sounds like a really good day for you both…great stuff for sure. 

The only part that I’d have a problem with, was that sand and grit being in and on everything….I’m cringing at the thought lol…I’d probably need a few months of therapy after that lmao. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have a studs. This is the first year I’ve had them. It was icy enough Sunday that was glad. My son’s 600 ACE overheated a couple of times. Studs no scratchers. 

I am a believer now re scratchers.  The 4 strokes should probably all have them unless they have a radiator of some substance.  Scratchers will save hyfax as well.  No downside i can think of. 

28 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Sounds like a really good day for you both…great stuff for sure. 

The only part that I’d have a problem with, was that sand and grit being in and on everything….I’m cringing at the thought lol…I’d probably need a few months of therapy after that lmao. 

You are lucky I cant figure out how to shrink and post a picture I took of my running boards.  You cannot unsee it.  

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not really...its all relative. I got boned that year, too...just higher all around numbers. But given a choice between the two, yea, I'd take herpes over chlamydia.

For your area, an above normal but perhaps frustrating year vs all out ratter are the goalposts I think.

I am a believer now re scratchers.  The 4 strokes should probably all have them unless they have a radiator of some substance.  Scratchers will save hyfax as well.  No downside i can think of. 
The three 1200s I had always ran warm compared to my 850. I usually ran 140F on my 1200s. The 850 are around 118F

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

i never considered you guys were talking about 4 strokes. I've alway had 2s. I've been thinking about a 4 if I can ever get back into the sport...so something to remember

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It probably won't be extreme...but even if that verifies diluted by 30%, it's still a pretty cold/stormy look. Then again, it's not uncommon for a signal that strong at D12-15 to morph into a extreme pattern.

Yes, true. I am not trying to imply that there is any specific reason to doubt it....I have been big on that period going back to last fall, but the prudent course of action is to always be leery of amplified solutions at very extended lead times, as you know. All I meant.

19 hours ago, SlantStick said:

Worried....headed to Errol on Monday morning for the week. My parents rent the farm house next to the Buffalo/elk farm for 17 of us ages 18-74! . I hope to spend more money on fuel but looking like more whiskey:D

that buffalo farm is super cool. I don't know how many acres they own, but that fence line seems to go on forever. what a great area, although the low areas around Errol sometimes have a lot less snow than other areas

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

Your area and Western MA over by hippie been hosed, I'm a little better then last year but will have to wait and see how the rest of winter performs before grading it.

You have more snow now than you had last year at this time? I'm down 16" over last year right now

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It may be a Kuchie map but the consistency in Canada is insane to me.  That Canadian Shield of snow.

Imagine if that was 300-500 miles further south.  Gradient and how consistent snowfall amounts are north of it over a full two week model run is crazy.

gfs-deterministic-neng-total_snow_kuchera-6330400.thumb.png.bf04eda6c7d3059b5abafede2cc43f79.png

That is the type of pattern where I could make up some ground on the rest of SNE, but I'm sure Ginxy will find a way lol His spot always does.

41 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

that buffalo farm is super cool. I don't know how many acres they own, but that fence line seems to go on forever. what a great area, although the low areas around Errol sometimes have a lot less snow than other areas

You have more snow now than you had last year at this time? I'm down 16" over last year right now

7" more right now then all of last year, Still running below normal.

• Like 1