Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's annoying and unpleasant outside right now here in Ayer.   There's just enough high clouds to dim the sun to a glow and not really warm feeling. Meanwhile, it's windy.   So 42 may as well be 24 ...  Helluva way to kick off a warm spell. 

heh anyway, not surprised.  It didn't look "nice" out in the charts scoping this prefrontal environment. It looked to windy then.

Agreed 100%….not very nice out there at all. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Wow that’s quite the merideonal flow….hopefully that can ignite something for us? 

I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant overrunning/coastal storm in the E US with that waveguide... suppression quite far S could be a risk though. it's happened before in these kinds of setups where even DC cashes in 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant overrunning/coastal storm in the E US with that waveguide... suppression quite far S could be a risk though. it's happened before in these kinds of setups where even DC cashes in 

Fits the season…DC/mid Atlantic cashing in. Oh boy….

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I think the PV would have to drop really far to the south for that, which would be difficult given how potent it is right now....this is entirely Pacific driven. I don't see this as a suppression issue for SNE.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the PV would have to drop really far to the south for that, which would be difficult given how potent it is right now....this is entirely Pacific driven. I don't see this as a suppression issue for SNE.

I don't think it would be an issue, per se, but it would not shock me to see a beefy system slam DC as the cold press strengthens. I think this pattern favors pretty much all of the E US

that split flow is a nice asset as well... ups the phasing possibilities

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-uv200_stream-6092800.thumb.png.3deaa3418cc5b42662b2bceda612fb83.png

• Like 2

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

I don't think it would be an issue, per se, but it would not shock me to see a beefy system slam DC as the cold press strengthens. I think this pattern favors pretty much all of the E US

This I agree with.....but I do not envision a PD 1, Feb 2010 or Jan 2016 deal, where it gets shunted south of us. Believe me, the way that this winter has gone for me, I would call for that at least excuse imaginable...but I just do not see that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I actually did favor the Pacific becoming favorable again in early March, but like I said, the big SSW attributable blocking isn't materializing....from early last Novie:

March 2022 Outlook

March Analogs: 1956 (x2), 1984, 1996, 2006 (x2), 2001 (x3), 2018 (x2), 1975, 2011

The first half of March should be blocky with an improving Pacific. The month should feature both Miller A & B cyclogenesis, as there are signs that the subtropical jet may enter the scene in addition to the active northern stream. This could be a very volatile set up with immense storm potential should the two streams phase. There is a relatively strong chance of a KU magnitude event between March 1st and 15th. The failure risk is that the SSW does not materialize, which could alter the forecast dramatically.
Monthly departures anywhere from 1-3 degrees below average with the coldest across the interior and above average snowfall from the mid atlantic into New England. This should be a very active east coast pattern rivaling that of March 2018 and 2001, though with perhaps more southern stream involvement.

YES. Agree.....I am actually glad that the blocking has not materialized, or we may have more of an issue up here.

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

that split flow is a nice asset as well... ups the phasing possibilities

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-uv200_stream-6092800.thumb.png.3deaa3418cc5b42662b2bceda612fb83.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm hoping for a 2018 finish....though the pattern isn't really 2018....more 1993 than 2018. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Mar 2015, though my guess is we'd do better in that pattern if we rolled the dice again.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

There’s this impression that PHL/DC/BWI/RIC has been slammed.

To date:

PHL:  12.5”.   25% below normal

DCA:  12.3”.   25% above normal 

BWI:  14”       Less than an inch above normal 

RIC:  4.3”.   35% below normal 

It’s Delaware /MD shore/ Jersey shore to BOS

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm hoping for a 2018 finish....though the pattern isn't really 2018....more 1993 than 2018. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Mar 2015, though my guess is we'd do better in that pattern if we rolled the dice again.

Yea, I agree. That is from my outlook back in November....the SSW/blocking didn't work out, but sensible result could still be good.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I didn’t say anything was wrong with 1993. That march is the snowiest on record for both ORH and BOS. 

Yea, I said earlier...with that PAC look, not sure we would want an NAO block this far north. I mean, I guess we could still get porked by a stray lobe, but its tougher...

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To date:

It's because the area got a few consecutive storms that brought snow... But I am betting some parts of Virginia are well about normal

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To date:

Not slammed, but a decent winter considering la nina. Hit all of my ranges down there, except for Philly....still time, though.