Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not slammed, but a decent winter considering la nina. Hit all of my ranges down there, except for Philly....still time, though.

Yeah they’re close enough.  RIC has been screwed but coastal VA is pretty high.   ACY 33”.....60% above normal.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah they’re close enough.  RIC has been screwed but coastal VA is pretty high.   ACY 33”.....60% above normal.

Yea, coastal Jersey down to Delmarva has had a flukey good year....that same band goes right up through Steve over to Bret. Always fun seeing those little seasonal nuances, it's just more enjoyable when I'm not on the outside looking in lol

• Like 3

south correction continues on this 18z GFS run ( fwiw ).   Now warning ice synoptically suggested into southern VT/NH 132 -168 hours... durational icing.

Bad circumstance, because nill thaw immediately aft that event, where there'd already need watches up for the next, which brings QPF along transitions zone for ice/snow another 100 mil south...

It's possible to me that this first of the two system along said range still corrects south...      Unbelievable 1056 mb high pressure even more hesitant on this run... It keeps getting more massive with that feature, it gets equally more unlikely that any warm boundary gets N of NYC and probably that's generous.   

34 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, coastal Jersey down to Delmarva has had a flukey good year....that same band goes right up through Steve over to Bret. Always fun seeing those little seasonal nuances, it's just more enjoyable when I'm not on the outside looking in lol

I can’t find info, but sneaky spot towards Plymouth county too because of the 4-6” OES fluffer earlier in January. I have 51” I think or close to it, they might be near mid 50s. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It was ripping in Danielson today. I was surprised and it was not a pleasant feel. 

It’s always hard when these happen and just erase entire snowpacks well north. I took one last look outside as it got dark .. and thought about complete snow pack since Jan 6. And hopefully it comes back by next Thursday . The early week system is a furnace in SNE

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I can’t find info, but sneaky spot towards Plymouth county too because of the 4-6” OES fluffer earlier in January. I have 51” I think or close to it, they might be near mid 50s. 

Lol that's awesome.  I think I'm mid-50s here with crude accounting and have gotten there in a much less fun way than you guys.  Lots of 40-65" amounts across VT except the normal snow belts in the 70s and 80s.  Need to get up above 2,500ft in the northern Greens to get 100"+ so far and those are areas that average 250"+.

What is interesting to me is how dry it has seemed too.  The snowpack is low for this time of year but the water amounts are also very low.  I ran some snow cores today for NOAA as one of their Mets reached out to see if I could get them some numbers for Hydro prior to the rain event.

3,000ft had only 38-42" depth but the shocker was really only 8.0-11.0" water.  I've seen that plot have 20"+ of water in mid-February before and have seen 25-30" of water in April... so much so that this scale goes all the way around the dial and back into the single digits, lol.  If I had to wager a guess, normally it's 16-20" at this time over the past decade or so.

We've missed a lot of the frequent smaller precip events it seems... the 0.25-0.50" water events or Advisory level snows.  The only reason the mountain snowpack is this high is because that last snow event fell into the 1.50-2.00" water amount at this elevation.

This is the highest reading of 5 from the High Road Snow Plot.

Feb_16_HighRD_2022.thumb.jpg.1c491317227ae2411bb0bd44374cb317.jpg

Down at 1,600ft there was 22-24" of snowpack and ~6-7.5" water from various readings.  Normal I'd wager is around 10" of SWE.

Feb_16_BaseArea_2022.thumb.jpg.6115ccf44718d45c25ee7d5e80e1ab5b.jpg

Been an interesting winter with few events it seems... that shakes out to lower than normal water levels in the mountains and lower snowpack.  For the places that have lower average annual snowfall, if you can hit a couple of good events out of the few that we've had as a region, you're in good shape (ie. coastal DE/NJ/LI up through Ginxy and SE MA).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lol that's awesome.  I think I'm mid-50s here with crude accounting and have gotten there in a much less fun way than you guys.  Lots of 40-65" amounts across VT except the normal snow belts in the 70s and 80s.  Need to get up above 2,500ft in the northern Greens to get 100"+ so far and those are areas that average 250"+.

What is interesting to me is how dry it has seemed too.  The snowpack is low for this time of year but the water amounts are also very low.  I ran some snow cores today for NOAA as one of their Mets reached out to see if I could get them some numbers for Hydro prior to the rain event.

3,000ft had only 38-42" depth but the shocker was really only 8.0-11.0" water.  I've seen that plot have 20"+ of water in mid-February before and have seen 25-30" of water in April... so much so that this scale goes all the way around the dial and back into the single digits, lol.  If I had to wager a guess, normally it's 16-20" at this time over the past decade or so.

We've missed a lot of the frequent smaller precip events it seems... the 0.25-0.50" water events or Advisory level snows.  The only reason the mountain snowpack is this high is because that last snow event fell into the 1.50-2.00" water amount at this elevation.

Down at 1,600ft there was 22-24" of snowpack and ~6-7.5" water from various readings.  Normal I'd wager is around 10" of SWE.

Been an interesting winter with few events it seems... that shakes out to lower than normal water levels in the mountains and lower snowpack.  For the places that have lower average annual snowfall, if you can hit a couple of good events out of the few that we've had as a region, you're in good shape (ie. coastal DE/NJ/LI up through Ginxy and SE MA).

I made a comment yesterday or the day before on how even though I’ve basically had continuous pack since 1/7 (aside from right before the last recent event when that torch day in Saturday opened up large patches of ground), it didn’t feel like deep winter for much of the time because we generally had low water in the pack. Even after the sleet storm on 2/4 added some good water into the pack, it was only after a lot of melted the previous day, so it was only a minor net gain of LE. 

Typically over the interior, we’ll get a pack with at least 3-4 inches of water in it at some point but we’ve never gotten there. Places further NW like N ORH county will get 7 inches into the pack quite frequently, but it just hasn’t been that type of winter over the interior. We’ve really lacked those front ender type events and SWFE ls this winter. The 1/17 system was a front ender but that’s been one of the few…and even then it wasn’t a typical front ender that puts some sleet and ZR into the pack too…that one was like 6” and then straight to rain for ORH county. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I was saying to Will a few days ago that we really haven’t had a lot of events. We actually have had the QPF, but we are missing the small events that add up and boost the pack. It’s been a weird season. 

That looks to change next week and beyond. Could be a fun few weeks.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I made a comment yesterday or the day before on how even though I’ve basically had continuous pack since 1/7 (aside from right before the last recent event when that torch day in Saturday opened up large patches of ground), it didn’t feel like deep winter for much of the time because we generally had low water in the pack. Even after the sleet storm on 2/4 added some good water into the pack, it was only after a lot of melted the previous day, so it was only a minor net gain of LE. 

Typically over the interior, we’ll get a pack with at least 3-4 inches of water in it at some point but we’ve never gotten there. Places further NW like N ORH county will get 7 inches into the pack quite frequently, but it just hasn’t been that type of winter over the interior. We’ve really lacked those front ender type events and SWFE ls this winter. The 1/17 system was a front ender but that’s been one of the few…and even then it wasn’t a typical front ender that puts some sleet and ZR into the pack too…that one was like 6” and then straight to rain for ORH county. 

Yeah I honestly haven’t looked into melted water averages at first order sites but anecdotally I’d say it’s dry.  I read on Sugarbush’s blog that they’ve actually been having water supply issues at Lincoln Peak over the last month due to cold/dry January.

Rivers are frozen solid and low water flow…that’ll change here soon, ha.

You are right, the events we are missing this winter aren’t the big ones but the SWFE 0.50-0.75” of snow to ice… the moderate ones that sometimes make up the seasonal water average.  It’s been high precip events or low-to-nothing water starving “events.”

Another several inches of QPF (or even 4-8” in the mtns) to get to normal would really have changed the “active-ness” of the winter tenor.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I honestly haven’t looked into melted water averages at first order sites but anecdotally I’d say it’s dry.  I read on Sugarbush’s blog that they’ve actually been having water supply issues at Lincoln Peak over the last month due to cold/dry January.

Rivers are frozen solid and low water flow…that’ll change here soon, ha.

You are right, the events we are missing this winter aren’t the big ones but the SWFE 0.50-0.75” of snow to ice… the moderate ones that sometimes make up the seasonal water average.  It’s been high precip events or low-to-nothing water starving “events.”

Another several inches of QPF (or even 4-8” in the mtns) to get to normal would really have changed the “active-ness” of the winter tenor.

And a few of our high QPF events were cutters. Those have so much run-off even if the pack survives them. 

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I don't think I've ever seen you post something optimistic. Weenie this comment if you're writing this under duress.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s definitely changed since the blizzard. He promised he’d change his posting style and to his credit he has( for the most part)

Like I said at the time, I feel very fortunate to have been in the right spot for the blizzard. No complaints, rest of the season is gravy. Obviously we are all looking and hoping for more, but I’d it doesn’t pan out, it is what it is. A historical storm trumps the rest of the season IMO

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s definitely changed since the blizzard. He promised he’d change his posting style and to his credit he has( for the most part)

He rides persistence until the alternate hits him in the face a few times. The same goes for his Pats posts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

He rides persistence until the alternate hits him in the face a few times. The same goes for his Pats posts.

:lol:

Id love to go through some of the pats threads over the years with you and scooter posting “it’s over” after the other team scores in the 1st quarter. Hall of fame stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1