Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Does that tactic work elsewhere? :lol:

I'd be happy to answer any questions about snow up this way... depends on how much it matters too because I can tell you anywhere up and around the mountains will be a lot snowier than southern CT on the whole.  Consistent snow cover, better arctic air masses, etc.  There are so many microclimates you may not know about one until you move there.

If you want a true weenie heaven, check out the Alpine Haven neighborhood near Jay Peak.  I've known two people who live in there and I have to imagine that is one of the snowiest spots in New England.  Nestled in a valley at 1,400-1,800ft right along the spine.  They get a stunning amount of snow just off the fabled RT 242 and even radiate at night.  Never really knew about that neighborhood until I started seeing friends posting photos on FB who live there.  They definitely get more snow than the base of Stowe at 1,500ft IMO.  It's just a pocket in a gap and you don't need to be rich to live there, pretty sweet.

AlpineHaven.thumb.jpg.c5a846006c944a9cb580113cfe2d0965.jpg

And if you want to go for a weenie drive, the road goes up over 2,000ft within two miles.

If I was to pick one weenie spot in VT right now, that's it.  Until I find the next best spot :lol:.

AlpineHaven2.thumb.jpg.e0cc2a1d849e580ec48d0e9958ecc37d.jpg

Thanks PF, great information and love the breakdown to the nearest mile, great stuff! I am sure I will have plenty of questions and will send you PM instead of cluttering up the forum. 

Despite missing the big one this past weekend, we have had snow cover for more than 3 weeks, so I really cannot complain this year...it could be worse. It would be nice to go spend the week at the cabin, just to feed the need for snow....I love the beach, but there is something about hiking right after a fresh snowfall. 

• Like 1

My interest of the evening has been the condition of heavily traveled typical bridges in the US. I was studying about the 2007 Minneapolis Mississippi River bridge collapse. What I read was that the bridge was built in 1967, but had design flaws. It was rated in need of replacement and that was planned for 2020 but it never made it before it collapsed.

A theme I keep coming across more than one time with basic US road bridges is that A: They were built in the 20th century. B: They were designed to last a specific number of years before being replaced and C: The time for the replacement has come and gone. and C: They are receiving "Poor" or "Structurally Deficient" Ratings but are still being deemed safe to travel on. While the MN bridge that collapsed was among the worst in ratings, they stopped short of condemning it.

A bridge of particular interest is the I95 Gold Star Memorial bridge that crosses the Thames river between Groton and New London. In doing curious research I was able to find that this bridge fell into most of the above bullet points I discussed. It has a rating of 4 out of 9 for structure: Poor. The bridge has outlived its intended lifespan yet is continued to be used heavily and I see no plan to actually replace it. I won't say much more except that I am glad that I do not use this bridge frequently although I did in the 2000s. I once walked across this bridge in 2020 and while I knew nothing of its structural ratings at that time, the heights were unnerving and gave me adrenaline rush until I made it to the other side.

Most common road bridges are 20th century construction that has been a fixture of most of our lives as we generally have been alive since the 20th century. But the theme that all of these are going downhill fast is repeating itself and I am horrified to understand that unless drastic action is taken, these bridges are going to probably start collapsing one by one over the upcoming years and decades. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IowaStorm05 said:

My interest of the evening has been the condition of heavily traveled typical bridges in the US. I was studying about the 2007 Minneapolis Mississippi River bridge collapse. What I read was that the bridge was built in 1967, but had design flaws. It was rated in need of replacement and that was planned for 2020 but it never made it before it collapsed.

A theme I keep coming across more than one time with basic US road bridges is that A: They were built in the 20th century. B: They were designed to last a specific number of years before being replaced and C: The time for the replacement has come and gone. and C: They are receiving "Poor" or "Structurally Deficient" Ratings but are still being deemed safe to travel on. While the MN bridge that collapsed was among the worst in ratings, they stopped short of condemning it.

A bridge of particular interest is the I95 Gold Star Memorial bridge that crosses the Thames river between Groton and New London. In doing curious research I was able to find that this bridge fell into most of the above bullet points I discussed. It has a rating of 4 out of 9 for structure: Poor. The bridge has outlived its intended lifespan yet is continued to be used heavily and I see no plan to actually replace it. I won't say much more except that I am glad that I do not use this bridge frequently although I did in the 2000s. I once walked across this bridge in 2020 and while I knew nothing of its structural ratings at that time, the heights were unnerving and gave me adrenaline rush until I made it to the other side.

Most common road bridges are 20th century construction that has been a fixture of most of our lives as we generally have been alive since the 20th century. But the theme that all of these are going downhill fast is repeating itself and I am horrified to understand that unless drastic action is taken, these bridges are going to probably start collapsing one by one over the upcoming years and decades. 

Is that the one with like 5 lanes?

12 hours ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Work on the bridge is supposed to start this Spring and cost $300,000,000.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/gold-star-bridge-in-new-london-in-need-of-rehabilitation/article_67a25680-78c2-11ec-8ef4-e7df29b70091.html

AR-302229965.jpg&Maxw=800&q=62

The total cost, he said, is $300 million.

Sweeney said the work is divided into phases. Sweeney said the first two phases of the project will address the strengthening of the bridge as well as some of the conditions.

Phase 1 starts in the spring and will take 3 years to complete.

Sweeney said phase 2 starts in 2025 and it will focus on the approach spans and girders on either side.

Phase 3 will focus on the deck work, which is the surface where people drive.

Both engineers said drivers won't be able to see or notice a physical difference. What they want them to know by the time the bridge is improved is that it will be much safer and much stronger.

"It will look the same," Sweeny said. "We are not changing the structure system out here. We are strengthening the systems that's in place."

The overall completion date is set for 2030.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klw said:

Of fascinating note are the classic green direction signs that are suspended above the bridge. These are nationwide and the designs are generally uniform, with some darker green older ones still out there, especially in drier climates like Southern California. What I can say is that these seriously are designed to last a lifetime. Some of these green signs on smaller roads are just several feet off the ground, and many of them I have walked by have date stamps on them! Well, in Mansfield, CT a couple miles away there is one green sign pointing people towards RT 6. I walked by it, and noticed that without a doubt, there is a date stamp on it for 1989. Well I was floored by the durability of the sign at that point because this sign looked brand new. It has been there for over 33 years and it looks shiny and fresh as ever.

Some of the scariest bridges I have seen have been on 91 in Massachusetts. I got off in Northampton a few years ago and was stopped in traffic under one.  The bridge supports were literally crumbling with exposed rebar and they had nets under it to catch all the concrete deck pieces from falling on cars. I just did a Google search and it looks like its being repaired. I also found this picture of exactly what I saw under it. Crazy how they would let something get to that condition. Imagine the liability if that collapsed and killed a bunch of people. 

Screenshot_20220202-123639_Chrome.jpg

32 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was in a book store in Northampton tonight and had to buy this when I saw it.  
Tons of old pictures, and great history. 
Hopefully we don’t ever have a repeat.

F2C0AFED-99A0-42A1-8B21-32518C9717C1.thumb.jpeg.a548019dfd221de62ab4803b32d1a435.jpeg

Looking at Hartford and E.Hartford in that extraordinary cover image. With the levee system now, it’s so much better protected but I always worry about making sure they remain maintained. Can’t imagine a 38’ crest. 

2001_128_2_22.jpg

Above: Asylum st near the state Capitol 

H2NAVYMFWNHDTHGCNDGSZCLMNQ.jpg

Another aerial shot of the flooding. E.Hartford on the right. Basically wiped out. 

The levees today (from the April 2019 flood). The river for reference should be behind the tree line. 

1iiPUoS.jpg

SrjIZve.jpg

jr202JY.jpg

Iconic Colt Building 

6PB6seq.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Also for reference, that’s about a 20.3’ crest. Moderate stage is 24’ and we haven’t seen a 25’ crest since 1987 though we came close in 2011.

Some of the high water markers around the valley are insane, 6-8’ above the road.

Apparently Northern New Hampshire and Vermont had back to back huge rainers that triggered the flood.  Well over a foot of rain over a few days.  I never realized how far north to south the destruction was.

• Like 2

March 1936 brought the Sandy River to its 2nd greatest flood flow, trailing only 1987.  Some Kennebec sites below Augusta had 1936 peaks higher than 1987 despite a lesser flow, due to an ice jam at the Richmond bridge and Swan Island.  In the 1987 flood the ice had already run on most streams 4th order or bigger.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Do you honestly think the HRRR is correct ?

And Secondly. JC - CT laughs at every single one of your posts . Even when they are just obs 

Wow dude, you have a problem with me thinking everything @RUNNAWAYICEBERGsays is funny in a totally sexy way? If you want to police someone, start with @MaineJayhawk - he keeps putting his weenie on all my posts. Keep it in your pants guys! (unless you are runnaway of course)

• Haha 1

Does anyone here mess around with GRIB data at all? I got the urge today to try to match up GFS temps to actual observations from the RTMA to see just how bad it was. But it was a little funky trying to match up the grid resolutions and also the GFS is apparently terrible with surface temps over water (that, or the RTMA data is bad for that) so I have to filter my coordinates a little better. But it was interesting...as you might expect, it busted badly on the cold side over land. Need to do a little more validation, might play with it some more over the weekend.

Graphing it is a whole other story too...I did initially play around with some prebuilt stuff but I eventually gave up on that, and on python, and fell back on my reliable old self-taught .NET so I'm sure I'm recreating the wheel on a bunch of stuff. At least there was a nuget wrapper available called grib.api.

The cool thing is that all the weather models and agencies seem to use it. Although trying to work with RAP data was giving me fits.