Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Everyone has noticed that customer service, response time, delivery time, quality, etc. have all declined over the last 24 months. You see it everywhere. From the DMV to McDonalds to Home Depot to the oil company.

Yes. It's more like an avalanche now. We've noticed it for the last decade, but the you know what has accelerated it.

I always laugh when an older person in my family talks about "giving that person a piece of my mind" like it's 1980 still and your can shame some 22 year old waitress or checkout clerk into giving you better service. It's more likely that person will punch you or just walk out the door and quit than "work better."

I just expect bad service everywhere now and don't get stressed about it. Anyone who has traveled enough to Italy, Spain, or France knows the deal. The US just has the same vibe now. When you go into a cafe in Italy you expect to be left sitting for a while before anyone comes by, they may screw up your order/bill, and the kitchen/bar may be out of things. They don't care about your complaints either. People there are used to it and stay chill. Enjoy the scenery and conversation.

Imagine renovating a house in Italy or Spain? LOL

Anyway, that is coming to this country.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Everyone has noticed that customer service, response time, delivery time, quality, etc. have all declined over the last 24 months. You see it everywhere. From the DMV to McDonalds to Home Depot to the oil company.

Skimpflation.  Experiences diminish and you pay the same money for them. Read through this and it’s 100% true.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/26/1048892388/meet-skimpflation-a-reason-inflation-is-worse-than-the-government-says-it-is

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Skimpflation.  Experiences diminish and you pay the same money for them. Read through this and it’s 100% true.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/26/1048892388/meet-skimpflation-a-reason-inflation-is-worse-than-the-government-says-it-is

Great article, and so true. It’s a small thing for sure, but an obvious one is hotel breakfast. Doesn’t exist anymore or isn’t like it was. We used to pound that down before skiing so we could skip lunch. Prices of rooms certainly haven’t gone down though.

Totally OT, but I'm old enough to remember when one had to ride a bus from North Quincy to Dorchester/Fields Corner to catch a train to visit the certainly dead by now Mom's Great Aunt Mary Lydon in the projects on probably what would be considered the Dorchester/South Boston border.  G.A. Mary was the only relative I ever met (not counting in-laws) who had an accent.

Later, when visiting Grandma, in North Quincy, I road in to Andrew Square, road down to Ashmont, and took the trolley because someone said it was the only trolley line to run through a cemetery.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Prices of rooms certainly haven’t gone down though.

Even if hotels did lower rates to pass along 100% of the savings from not doing things like breakfast or daily housekeeping, it's unlikely you'd even notice.  At 15/hr, daily housekeeping on a stayover costs about $3-4.  No personal experience with doing breakfast, but I assume it's about the same.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The part about switching teams to a mediocre franchise and then immediately taking them to the SB makes it essentially impossible to repeat, IMO. That is of course on top of everything else.

One of the last real pocket passing QB's, Today's game with all these QB's running around will have short careers, Look at the beating Rothlisberger took.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One of the last real pocket passing QB's, Today's game with all these QB's running around will have short careers, Look at the beating Rothlisberger took.

Agreed, Brady always had great protection and was really aware of the need to avoid huge hits and not expose himself too much. I see these QBs now running all the time and doing backflips over defenders into the end zone. Great for the highlight reel but shortens careers.

• Like 1

Lets get to zero road fatalities. A pipe dream.

An idea I thought was wild and impossible is coming true!!!!!

I have a strong understanding of physics when it comes to car crashes and human frailty. I understand that safety of modern cars easily saves lives in 30 to 40 mph crashes, but that these designs are useless in high speed impacts (70 to 80mph). 

People in CT have been increasingly driving erratically and aggressively on highways lately and It has angered me and now I have a dash cam. 

Well it turns out I am not the only person with this idea. Since deaths have skyrocketed on US roads, ONE PETE BUTTIGIEG happens to be head of US TRANSPORTATION and they are going to be laying out a plan of reducing speed limits, increasing education and improving road designs!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/01/27/buttigieg-road-deaths/

People drive fast because they falsely think it is safe and theyre never gonna die. Friday night there was black ice around a lot and wet roads below freezing and people were still doing 80 in the freeway.

I thought nobody would ever bring these dreams of mine to bear because they are often unpopular but hey!!! Theyre gonna do it!!!

I think this post is appropriate for banter because I had just talked about it before and now this came out so I wanted to cher my excitement.

• Weenie 1