• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

@dendriteI'm sure you've dealt with sour crop before.  One of our hens has a pretty bad base of it right now.  We've got her on a probiotic, apple cider vinegar, and some crop massages but it might be too late, doesn't seem to be helping.  Not sure if you've had success with other interventions.  We have her quarantined right now as to not put the flock in jeopardy.  I hate to be pessimistic but I'm starting to think about what I might do with her if she passes, given that the ground is frozen and all.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

@dendriteI'm sure you've dealt with sour crop before.  One of our hens has a pretty bad base of it right now.  We've got her on a probiotic, apple cider vinegar, and some crop massages but it might be too late, doesn't seem to be helping.  Not sure if you've had success with other interventions.  We have her quarantined right now as to not put the flock in jeopardy.  I hate to be pessimistic but I'm starting to think about what I might do with her if she passes, given that the ground is frozen and all.

Sorry to hear. I’ve never had to deal with that before. If you’re sure it’s sour crop then you’re dealing with a yeast infection in the crop. There are some OTC yeast meds people use on their chickens that are meant for fish. I wanna say ketoconazole, but you should research it. Do you have any vets nearby that will treat chickens? We have Weare/Hopkinton animal hospital, but it gets pricey and I’m usually left feeling underwhelmed when I leave. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Sorry to hear. I’ve never had to deal with that before. If you’re sure it’s sour crop then you’re dealing with a yeast infection in the crop. There are some OTC yeast meds people use on their chickens that are meant for fish. I wanna say ketoconazole, but you should research it. Do you have any vets nearby that will treat chickens? We have Weare/Hopkinton animal hospital, but it gets pricey and I’m usually left feeling underwhelmed when I leave. 

Thanks - yes, that's what we have her on.  We do have a vet nearby, but they don't have anything available for another two weeks.  We are, at least, on the cancellation list in case something comes up soon.  Hoping it kind of resolves itself before then and she recovers, but she's not eating a ton at the moment.

41 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Thanks - yes, that's what we have her on.  We do have a vet nearby, but they don't have anything available for another two weeks.  We are, at least, on the cancellation list in case something comes up soon.  Hoping it kind of resolves itself before then and she recovers, but she's not eating a ton at the moment.

I try not to forcefeed them even though some say to do it. I try to find something they want to eat. Maybe a simple diet of mealworms for a bit would help. Does she like mealies?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

I try not to forcefeed them even though some say to do it. I try to find something they want to eat. Maybe a simple diet of mealworms for a bit would help. Does she like mealies?

She does for sure.  Haven't offered those yet, though, and will tomorrow.  Ironically enough the thing she likes most is cooked egg yolk, so we've been offering her that, which she'll eat. 

She had mites pretty bad, too, at the same time so we cleaned and treated the coop, run, and other hens.  Ive read conflicting info on eating their eggs after treatment, so we're playing it safe and tossing them for now, which sucks but we don't need any more ill birds.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, dendrite said:

I have a pellet stove upstairs, but I like using the furnace because it heats the basement and warms the floors upstairs. My ash vac rusted out and I tossed it last fall so I'd need to buy a new one to use it too. I haven't cranked that pellet stove up in like 5 years. The pipe is probably full of creosote so I'd want a really cold day so I can run it really hot. It probably wouldn't be bad to run to supplement the oil use...especially during the day when we're on that side of the house more.

Pellet stoves burn extremely clean and they don't create creosote as pellets have very low moisture content. Your pipe is most likely fine. 

Pellets would save you 50% or more over heating oil right now based on cost per btu. In addition to the huge savings pellets are considered carbon neutral and have a huge environmental benefit.  Burning pellets instead of oil will reduce your C02 emissions by close to 90%. 

You also have one of the biggest wood pellet dealers (woodpellets.com) just south of you in Bedford NH and they have local New Hampshire pellets available. 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, IowaStorm05 said:

I am horrified that scientists say that at the current clip, 85 to 90 per cent of Great Ape habitat land in Africa is going to be gone by 2050. Humans know this…. The corporations know this. But they don’t care and have no problem exterminating our cousins just to expand their farming.

I am not experiencing regular anger about this. Instead it feels like a part of me is being crushed and destroyed. I donate toward wildlife conservation efforts about this and frankly the fact that people are unwilling to pull back on this today is disturbing me. 

it's worse than not caring-- it's actively punishing people who care.  I posted the Donzinger stuff in both the CC and Pol forums.  Fossil fuel cartels like Chevrons need to be treated like terrorist countries and completely destroyed.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Pellet stoves burn extremely clean and they don't create creosote as pellets have very low moisture content. Your pipe is most likely fine. 

Pellets would save you 50% or more over heating oil right now based on cost per btu. In addition to the huge savings pellets are considered carbon neutral and have a huge environmental benefit.  Burning pellets instead of oil will reduce your C02 emissions by close to 90%. 

You also have one of the biggest wood pellet dealers (woodpellets.com) just south of you in Bedford NH and they have local New Hampshire pellets available. 

They can definitely produce creosote and need occasional cleaning. Pellet quality matters. I always burned la cretes out of Alberta. Those suckers burned really hot and clean and kept the pipe dry. A lot of the cheaper local pellets are hardwoods which don’t burn as fast, but don’t burn as hot either. I just didn’t have as much success with those. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

First year with a pellet stove in our lower level which includes a 24 by 24 grooming room and a 18 by 24 full bedroom and registers to the upstairs Love it. No creosote just ash. Clean it every couple of weeks. Cut my propane bill by 2/3rds. Figure so far we have saved over $400

• Like 2

Just now, LibertyBell said:

From your mouth to the Creator's ears my friend.

It would cut pollution by like 99%

Was just a funny. Obviously we will survive and adapt. Being top of the food chain has its advantages. Might be a population crash at some point, that's nature's way of culling the herd. The result of that is a stronger more intelligent herd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Was just a funny. Obviously we will survive and adapt. Being top of the food chain has its advantages. Might be a population crash at some point, that's nature's way of culling the herd. The result of that is a stronger more intelligent herd.

That's probably right, nature reaches a tipping point and then balances things out.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cold water onshore breezes inland can be 70s while shore is 40s

Gotcha

I rather go in May  because it gets crowded up there in August .

We are staying in a beach resort

Going to drive to Provincetown , Boston , taking a boat to Nantucket.  Should be fun. 

16 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Yeah, just tried giving her some yolk and meal worms. A few bites and immediate puke.

Yikes. How’s the poop? Anything bright green? Have you been able to smell close to her open beek? Usually it reeks with sour crop. 

I’ve never dealt with it, but I buy much different feed than many people so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I went soy free years ago because I don’t want it in my food and I think it disrupts their hormones. I’ve had no egg peritonitis issues since the switch (never say never though). I’ve gone corn free in the past year because corn has a low nutrient density. I’ve been using the soy/corn free pellets from New Country Organics. Every night I give them a cooked sweet potato once it’s cooled off. When they’re in the store cheap I’ll buy a bunch (69 to 79¢/lb). They get a lot of dried mealies too. They’re just lacking the greens this time of year so the egg yolks are looking a little pale. 

It’s tough when they get sick. I swear it seems I have better success leaving the sick ones alone versus treating them. I wish your girl luck.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yikes. How’s the poop? Anything bright green? Have you been able to smell close to her open beek? Usually it reeks with sour crop. 

I’ve never dealt with it, but I buy much different feed than many people so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I went soy free years ago because I don’t want it in my food and I think it disrupts their hormones. I’ve had no egg peritonitis issues since the switch (never say never though). I’ve gone corn free in the past year because corn has a low nutrient density. I’ve been using the soy/corn free pellets from New Country Organics. Every night I give them a cooked sweet potato once it’s cooled off. When they’re in the store cheap I’ll buy a bunch (69 to 79¢/lb). They get a lot of dried mealies too. They’re just lacking the greens this time of year so the egg yolks are looking a little pale. 

It’s tough when they get sick. I swear it seems I have better success leaving the sick ones alone versus treating them. I wish your girl luck.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that and all the advice. 

I haven't smelt her yet, poop is liquid but nothing bright green.  More of a muted brownish light green.

That's interesting about the feed, we'll have to look into soy free.  And anytime we have some leftover sweet potatoe they crush it. That and eggs are their favorite people food, but never thought to incorporate sweet potatoe into their everyday diet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate that and all the advice. 

I haven't smelt her yet, poop is liquid but nothing bright green.  More of a muted brownish light green.

That's interesting about the feed, we'll have to look into soy free.  And anytime we have some leftover sweet potatoe they crush it. That and eggs are their favorite people food, but never thought to incorporate sweet potatoe into their everyday diet. 

I met a woman yesterday that had a pet chicken she keeps in her house, she lets it out in the day into a pen but comes in every night. Didn't realize they make good pets.

• Like 1