Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

23 hours ago, JC-CT said:

500mb heights - today's 6z Euro at hr 90 vs today's 0z Euro at hr 96

I downloaded grib files directly from ECMWF (so lower res version)

Need to figure out how to add labels and such

aTXN6Cx.png

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

My man @Jmister can help.

Have you looked into OpenGrADS at all? It's a versatile visual tool for all things grib.

http://opengrads.org/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

OK...I need a few days of backup fuel until my #2 oil comes next Monday...

Anyone have the pros and cons of diesel vs kerosene? Diesel is cheaper, easier to get at the gas station, but I assume dirtier? Just curious.

Yes diesel is dirty, red diesel usually for off road equipment, gas station diesel is also usually. treated for winter months....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Anyone have the pros and cons of diesel vs kerosene? Diesel is cheaper, easier to get at the gas station, but I assume dirtier? Just curious.

Where would you get kerosene? If it's only for a couple days just get the diesel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

Diesel is fine and is actually better and burns much cleaner than home heating oil due to its lower sulphur content and better refinement. Kerosene is even cleaner and you could use that but it's expensive.  Its mainly for indoor kerosene heaters as its burns very clean. 

Oil burners will pretty much burn anything you put through them. The same burners and nozzles can run used motor oil, biofuels, vegetable oil etc. 

My first place I rented just out of college me and my roommate could never afford the 150 gallon minimum fill for heating oil. We spent many weeks just buying 10 gallons of diesel to keep the heat going. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Diesel is fine and is actually better and burns much cleaner than home heating oil due to its lower sulphur content and better refinement. Kerosene is even cleaner and you could use that but it's expensive.  Its mainly for indoor kerosene heaters as its burns very clean. 

Oil burners will pretty much burn anything you put through them. The same burners and nozzles can run used motor oil, biofuels, vegetable oil etc. 

My first place I rented just out of college me and my roommate could never afford the 150 gallon minimum fill for heating oil. We spent many weeks just buying 10 gallons of diesel to keep the heat going. 

I'm seeing how cold I can tolerate the downstairs in my dad's house.  Currently it's at 63F, had it at 60F  but that was too cold. Nobody lives downstairs and I have electric heat upstairs.  I went through 200 gallons of oil since October 1st.  At $3.89 a gallon,  buying oil is $$$$$$.

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm seeing how cold I can tolerate the downstairs in my dad's house.  Currently it's at 63F, had it at 60F  but that was too cold. Nobody lives downstairs and I have electric heat upstairs.  I went through 200 gallons of oil since October 1st.  At $3.89 a gallon,  buying oil is $$$$$$.

I have a pellet stove upstairs, but I like using the furnace because it heats the basement and warms the floors upstairs. My ash vac rusted out and I tossed it last fall so I'd need to buy a new one to use it too. I haven't cranked that pellet stove up in like 5 years. The pipe is probably full of creosote so I'd want a really cold day so I can run it really hot. It probably wouldn't be bad to run to supplement the oil use...especially during the day when we're on that side of the house more.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, IowaStorm05 said:

I am horrified that scientists say that at the current clip, 85 to 90 per cent of Great Ape habitat land in Africa is going to be gone by 2050. Humans know this…. The corporations know this. But they don’t care and have no problem exterminating our cousins just to expand their farming.

I am not experiencing regular anger about this. Instead it feels like a part of me is being crushed and destroyed. I donate toward wildlife conservation efforts about this and frankly the fact that people are unwilling to pull back on this today is disturbing me. 

reminds me of Daniel Quinn "with gorilla gone, will there be hope for man?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

If weather starts to look up later this month going to start construction my raised beds. For two people, we can get a lot of crops in a fairly small space… going to try a lot of things that can be started from seeds, see how it goes.

You have a small greenhouse setup?

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Still LOLing at this being the venue for the big air competition. The wider shot below is even worse.

FK_x4x_XIAY0Hgq?format=jpg&name=900x900

How was this the best option?

Did you happen to watch any of the women's big air on Sunday? The NBC commentators couldn't stop talking about how great the scenery was there.  They kept panning and saying how great it was. Over the 2 hour span or so I must have heard them gush about how great the venue and surroundings was at least 8 times.  It was like they were forced to talk it up that way. 

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Did you happen to watch any of the women's big air on Sunday? The NBC commentators couldn't stop talking about how great the scenery was there.  They kept panning and saying how great it was. Over the 2 hour span or so I must have heard them gush about how great the venue and surroundings was at least 8 times.  It was like they were forced to talk it up that way. 

A bunch of the athletes have been talking the same way. Clearly some sponsorship money and/or threats involved. China is serious about cutting people off for criticizing the regime. I’m sure the networks were warned. They know the deal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A bunch of the athletes have been talking the same way. Clearly some sponsorship money and/or threats involved. China is serious about cutting people off for criticizing the regime. I’m sure the networks were warned. They know the deal. 

Chinese stars thrown at them during commercials if they talk negative?