Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 2/14/2022 at 1:48 PM, dendrite said:

Permethrin doesn't really kill them directly. IIRC it makes them infertile so that they're not reproducing. Eventually the infestation wanes and they die off without a new generation.

The first few days after treating I usually don't eat the eggs either, but I have fed them back to the birds.

Not sure if it was a good idea, but I used to dust them with sevin.... My grandfather used to do it. Maybe not the best thing but it worked. 

• Like 1

My 3rd cousin's daughter is having a baby. I was speaking to them on the telephone tonight and they were asking me to chip in for some names. I am interested in unique names. If it's a girl, how does the name "Visa" sound? If it's a boy... I like the name "Dollar". Or so people don't think its weird maybe "Doller". Their last name is "Pepper". Visa Pepper is a very regal sounding name. Dollar Pepper. too. Regina is a good name. 

I really am feeling the name "Visa". I just get the urge to call somebody "Visa". 

Hasn't anybody wanted to call a friend "Dollar"? It sounds regal. It sounds rich.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

9 hours ago, IowaStorm05 said:

My 3rd cousin's daughter is having a baby. I was speaking to them on the telephone tonight and they were asking me to chip in for some names. I am interested in unique names. If it's a girl, how does the name "Visa" sound? If it's a boy... I like the name "Dollar". Or so people don't think its weird maybe "Doller". Their last name is "Pepper". Visa Pepper is a very regal sounding name. Dollar Pepper. too. Regina is a good name. 

I really am feeling the name "Visa". I just get the urge to call somebody "Visa". 

Hasn't anybody wanted to call a friend "Dollar"? It sounds regal. It sounds rich.

3rd cousin?  I don't know anyone past my 2nd cousin, and just barely.  My relationship to Kevin Bacon is closer than it is to my 3rd cousin.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

3rd cousin?  I don't know anyone past my 2nd cousin, and just barely.  My relationship to Kevin Bacon is closer than it is to my 3rd cousin.

I will find any excuse in the world to ensure that new people are named "Visa" or "Dollar". 

"But we're family, you should consider my suggestions" I write in the letter.

• Haha 1

Having furnace problems...

Lots of fumes, smoke, and soot down there today. I opened the windows up in the basement and went to work. Came home and closed everything up. Went back down a few hours later and it was bad again. That's when I noticed the soot all over the basement and all over the furnace. I brought the CO detector down there and it instantly shot up from 0 upstairs to 44 down there next to the window. The furnace kicked back on and I watched soot coming out of it  I saw enough so I turned it off. Maybe 30 seconds later the smoke detector down there went off for the first time.

Could this have anything to do with burning the diesel? Is my chimney probably plugged up?

It's warm tonight so we're going without heat, but I'll probably give the pellet stove a whirl tomorrow...it's been awhile since I've ran it.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Lots of fumes, smoke, and soot down there today. I opened the windows up in the basement and went to work. Came home and closed everything up. Went back down a few hours later and it was bad again. That's when I noticed the soot all over the basement and all over the furnace. I brought the CO detector down there and it instantly shot up from 0 upstairs to 44 down there next to the window. The furnace kicked back on and I watched soot coming out of it  I saw enough so I turned it off. Maybe 30 seconds later the smoke detector down there went off for the first time.

Could this have anything to do with burning the diesel? Is my chimney probably plugged up?

It's warm tonight so we're going without heat, but I'll probably give the pellet stove a whirl tomorrow...it's been awhile since I've ran it.

Don’t screw around. A messed up furnace can be deadly. Call a qualified tech. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

You most likely plugged the filter and nozzle when all the sediment got mixed up at the bottom of the tank when you added diesel. How old is the tank and what kind of filter do you have? If you have one of those old woven cloth ones they don't filter much at all. If you have the older one have the tech install the new style 10 micron spin on filter that looks like a car oil filter. Those will filter 100 times better than a cloth sock.

A new nozzle and filter should have you back up running. Make sure the tech cleans and vacuums the soot out of the heat exchanger. Even a tiny layer can drop the efficiency big time. Yours is no doubt sooted up as it was probably running dirty for a long time before you noticed the soot.

On a related note I am hearing stories of huge wait times for oil and propane deliveres in NNE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

You most likely plugged the filter and nozzle when all the sediment got mixed up at the bottom of the tank when you added diesel. How old is the tank and what kind of filter do you have? If you have one of those old woven cloth ones they don't filter much at all. If you have the older one have the tech install the new style 10 micron spin on filter that looks like a car oil filter. Those will filter 100 times better than a cloth sock.

A new nozzle and filter should have you back up running. Make sure the tech cleans and vacuums the soot out of the heat exchanger. Even a tiny layer can drop the efficiency big time. Yours is no doubt sooted up as it was probably running dirty for a long time before you noticed the soot.

On a related note I am hearing stories of huge wait times for oil and propane deliveres in NNE. 

Haven't heard about wait times around here but we are on auto fill.  They came around the time they usually do, quarter tank left.  The $3.55 per gallon was a bummer though