Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Iceberg
    Newest Member
    Iceberg
    Joined

Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter


HoarfrostHubb
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Everyone except the Ukraine I guess 

Russian troop have been gathered on their border for months and the Eastern Province, pro-Russian factions, have been receiving Russian military aid for years.  The Donbas region has been open about it's loyalty to Russia and has invited this.  Putin sees a US in political disarray, major NATO nations distracted with political and economic issues and a divided Ukraine and he decided it was time to move in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is nothing we can do about Taiwan either. The US simply doesn't have the stomach for a fight like this in the current political climate. We didn't even have the stomach to really deal with a bunch of goat herders living in caves. They beat us. Any intervention in Ukraine would lead to death and destruction not seen on US TVs since Vietnam. I mean jets shot down, many dead and wounded in large battles, tanks on fire, etc. Russia is no joke.

If we went to war over Taiwan, picture a US aircraft carrier sinking with thousands of sailors in the water. Think the US population can handle that image and rally?

We are really soft right now and also predictable. Putin knows it.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Russian troop have been gathered on their border for months and the Eastern Province, pro-Russian factions, have been receiving Russian military aid for years.  The Donbas region has been open about it's loyalty to Russia and has invited this.  Putin sees a US in political disarray, major NATO nations distracted with political and economic issues and a divided Ukraine and he decided it was time to move in. 

And it doesn’t help when we have a former President declaring it to be a great move. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Russian troop have been gathered on their border for months and the Eastern Province, pro-Russian factions, have been receiving Russian military aid for years.  The Donbas region has been open about it's loyalty to Russia and has invited this.  Putin sees a US in political disarray, major NATO nations distracted with political and economic issues and a divided Ukraine and he decided it was time to move in. 

It's not clear the regime in Ukraine will even put up much of a fight. Decent chance they simply flee if it gets to that. Same thing would happen in Taiwan.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

What a menace. Our extended era of peace and relative prosperity may be coming to an end, sadly. 

Strange echoes of the thirties. We had our near miss with a depression in '08, followed by a decade of growing civil discord all over the world. Now, possibly, a major war. Let's hope not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Strange echoes of the thirties. We had our near miss with a depression in '08, followed by a decade of growing civil discord all over the world. Now, possibly, a major war. Let's hope not.

I hope this fizzles out.  This just feels different somehow. I heard reports that Macron observed that Putin has changed markedly in the past two years, more cut off. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There is nothing we can do about Taiwan either. The US simply doesn't have the stomach for a fight like this in the current political climate. We didn't even have the stomach to really deal with a bunch of goat herders living in caves.

I seem to recall that we drove them into those caves. No military is made for endless occupation and ceaseless insurgent guerilla warfare. When we've sent our boys in en masse, we generally are quite effective at taking territory.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

I seem to recall that we drove them into those caves. No military is made for endless occupation and ceaseless insurgent guerilla warfare. When we've sent our boys in en masse, we generally are quite effective at taking territory.

We haven't been tested against a near-peer power in many, many decades. Iraq in 1991 was the last conventional military we fought and they were nothing compared to Russia. Sending the boys into the Ukraine would mean a lot of dead and wounded and major losses to equipment. It would be a huge shock to this country.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We haven't been tested against a near-peer power in many, many decades. Iraq in 1991 was the last conventional military we fought and they were nothing compared to Russia. Sending the boys into the Ukraine would mean a lot of dead and wounded and major losses to equipment. It would be a huge shock to this country.

I don't disagree. I hope it doesn't come to that. I don't much care for the idea of being drafted. Knees are getting a little creaky in my late 30s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, so where is the EU?

This is closer to being their problem than our problem.

You can say this and they need to step up too but this was the deal we made to make the dollar the de facto world currency and maintain our international leadership position. Is it worth it? Not sure. I’m also not sure I want to find out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hoth said:

I don't disagree. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't think it will because there is exactly zero interest amongst average people in the Western countries for that kind of intervention. This is not viewed as our fight by the Joe Sixpack types, IMO. So we will just talk a lot and implement weak sanctions and that will be it. Only question for me is will the Ukrainian regime just totally collapse now that Putin has kicked the barn door down or will they stand and fight? I think the former.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think it will because there is exactly zero interest amongst average people in the Western countries for that kind of intervention. This is not viewed as our fight by the Joe Sixpack types, IMO. So we will just talk a lot and implement weak sanctions and that will be it. Only question for me is will the Ukrainian regime just totally collapse now that Putin has kicked the barn door down or will they stand and fight? I think the former.

The Ukraine leadership will save a lot of lives by just fleeing into exile.   They have no chance of military victory.

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...