Baroclinic Zone

December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Just now, JC-CT said:

What are you thinking for winds

TBH, didn't look a ton yesterday besides thinking it would be windy. lol I'll look more when i get in at noon.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

All snow now in Westborough.....nothing sticking .....still at 36*.

Report from my brother in Harvard is "snowing gangbusters".

Still rain in Southborough not even a cat paw.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

You'll flip. Give it time. I could see 1-3 in Hamden. 

Did you see that radar of the storm. Looks like there the bands are now coming back up into CT from the ocean. What a beautiful storm on the Satellite as well

• Like 1

Mid 30s with RA- and occasional catpaws.  If rates pick up the changeover would begin.

Edit:  Farmington snow potential now 6/14/22,. serious boost to the 10% chance, others much the same.

Okay... it's been a fun progression this morning ... really definitive almost 'staging' to this event.   But as of this hour ( 11 am and ticking on ...) we have commenced substantive and more obvious real accumulating. 

How's the RGEM doing ...lol.   You know, in a way we are like "snow storm scatologists" as the event poops out aggregate structures, we sift through them to determine the vitality of "snow" health...

Let me tell you something .. it ain't in favor of the pallid RGEM solutions - holy smokes.  If anything, this is ahead of schedule and vastly more aggressive than - at least for me, admittedly ... - my own interpretation of how this event would unfold.  Right now it is 33 F here, with uniform small to mid -sized aggegates, and everything exposed is/has turned white ... Interestingly, the streets are slushed over and whitening at the same rates as the grass  -..kind of interesting. I think the cold rain predawn sapped the streets of lay-over heat and so they were more primed and ready to cryo -

Anyway, the snow health of this thing here at 200 foot elevation in the Nashoba Valley is very, very good!  The scenery around the land-scape on me geek drive.. it looks like deep winter rather abruptly... It didn't 'flash' in the stricter 'subjective' definition of that sort of phenomenon... but pretty dern close!  

So quick recap:   

7:45 am, straight rain at dawn... 40 F ... One could almost imagine a 'fat' rain drop zipping down here and there and in fact, the particle size was large.   

8:45 "    , cat pawing/white rain 39 F ...

9:00 "    , cat pawing with occasional larger aggregate vestiges 38 F

9:30 "   ,  cat paws, large aggregates more common  37 F

10:   "   ,  large aggregates predominate.. but irregular intensity intervals.  37 F

10:30  ,  massive griddle cake aggregates and secondary aggregate bundles/truly enormous. One particle IS a winter storm warning.... ( jesus) First sign of visibility restriction... 36 F

10:45      ,  Vis 1/2 mi in pounding thumpers... aggregate and aggregate bundles begin falling slower, ..abruptly, smaller sizes commence 34F

Now ... 11:30,  vis 1/4 to 1/2 mi, uniform small to mid size aggregates are completely anti RGEM implicating ( heh..)... 1/2" accumulation but uniform cling to everything... 33 F but some networked home stations putting out 31 and 32s within 5 miles so...I think we're getting some thermal lag in a rapidly cooling column type deal...

It looks like a heavy snow storm out side, period -

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Southern edge of white mountains. Hills/mountains all around me. BobButts just being a tool.

No one is flying that low today there. An instrument flight rule day anyway 

• Like 1