Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am OK with the look of the 06z GFS. Two weak systems swing through and drop snow on me followed by some upslope. That works here. No need for wound-up bombs that may cut. 

GFS would be ok there for 12/29. Foreign guidance is uglier though. We usually know how that movie ends.....lol. 

The pattern does have some upslope potential at times so I’m sure it will still give snow events for your ‘hood even if the synoptic ones are garbage. 

It would be nice to get a few synoptic storms to work out though. NNE could use the snow for base building on snow mobile trails and ski resorts. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS would be ok there for 12/29. Foreign guidance is uglier though. We usually know how that movie ends.....lol. 

The pattern does have some upslope potential at times so I’m sure it will still give snow events for your ‘hood even if the synoptic ones are garbage. 

It would be nice to get a few synoptic storms to work out though. NNE could use the snow for base building on snow mobile trails and ski resorts. 

Jay had a nice powder dump last night, but we could still use an 18” bomb with good water content to get the natural trails and woods set for the season.  Hoping 12/29 trends a little better up here and then we upslope for a few days next week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, weathafella said:

I wasn’t here for the 80s. But the first half of the 50s, 1961-62 through the end of the decade was pretty bad until February of 1969.  Many years in the first half of the 70s.   Then I moved to California just when it was turning.

We were so spoiled by the period March 1956 thru Feb 1961 that anything near the long term averages would seem terrible.  MY memory of the mid-1960s is that 63-64 was okay and 66-67 was great - thundersnow on Christmas Eve, 15" with single digit temps in early Feb, 30" total in March (also Dec and Feb) plus the 3" surprise on 4/27.

2 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Jay had a nice powder dump last night, but we could still use an 18” bomb with good water content to get the natural trails and woods set for the season.  Hoping 12/29 trends a little better up here and then we upslope for a few days next week.

We had our bomb here in early December but now Grinch is going to wash it away and start us from scratch. Just no guarantees in this snow business unfortunately. :(  

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Climate is always changing..that’s the beauty of it.  

Anyway, Lets just hope our next couple weeks changes, so we can enjoy some more winter. Instead of tropical storm like systems.

I like extremes. Of course I'd prefer snow and winter. But as long as there I'd something interesting going on I'm happy. Can't stand the 45-50F and mild crap 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Climate is always changing..that’s the beauty of it.  

Anyway, Lets just hope our next couple weeks changes, so we can enjoy some more winter. Instead of tropical storm like systems.

Climates always change, but an accelerated change is never good when animals, plants and eventually humans can’t adapt quickly enough. 

• Like 2

When it all goes to shite, there's a point at which I let go of expectations and just focus on other things.  Fortunately, it is the holiday season so it is  much easier to focus  on other things.  I think there is a good chance we get  back on track soon. For the sledders sake, lets hope the base on the trails in the woods stays and solidifies, and then they'll have a fun winter and I'll get some good walks.

• Like 3

Geez. So many debbie downers..lol. had to laugh at the one comment about not having any more tropical systems. We're getting one tap has to fall and Christmas. You guys are a bunch of cry babies. The funny thing is all you guys are going to be screaming with joy once we start seeing some good Snow events again, which we will.

• Weenie 3

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Geez. So many debbie downers..lol. had to laugh at the one comment about not having any more tropical systems. We're getting one tap has to fall and Christmas. You guys are a bunch of cry babies. The funny thing is all you guys are going to be screaming with joy once we start seeing some good Snow events again, which we will.

Yeah I'm sure why everyone's so down. Would you want a giant black hole over Alaska & the Arctic instead.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The PAC looks to be meh into January. 

If we loose the Atlantic then the 1st half of January is going to be toast.

we continue to have  issues with getting cold air into southeast Canada. (In January so meh cold is more then enough) but at some point we will need to tap that cold in Siberia.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yeah I'm sure why everyone's so down. Would you want a giant black hole over Alaska & the Arctic instead.

I get it, but from past experiences... Things are bound to change ( as the models tend to do ). Honestly, I have been on a few blogs, and the mood is more on discussing models and what things may or may not happen. Here... There is so much complaint and statements always being thrown out of cutters and winter is no where to be found. Not really something that is appealing to discuss. Thats all I am saying. But, carry on the doom and gloom.. Winter is over guys..cutters the rest of this winter. Enjoy the mud and rain and warmth. ;-)