Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Always fun to wake up and read the “homicidal bitchin’ that goes down in every kitchen to determine who will serve and who will eat” (thank you Leonard Cohen).    We’re alive, the suns out on a beautiful snow pack.   Make the best of it!

Good points.  

It’s only weather.  Just hope we see some improvement soon...but either way we’ll all be fine.  As long as we’re healthy, everything else will come and go. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Good points.  

It’s only weather.  Just hope we see some improvement soon...but either way we’ll all be fine.  As long as we’re healthy, everything else will come and go. 

Its okay to acknowledge that something sucks and blows without fearing for your life.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its okay to acknowledge that something sucks and blows without fearing for your life.

Our lives are in danger-I’m pissed that it’s not snowing!  

In all seriousness I’m still having a lot of satisfaction from the last storm.  Not often in recent years do you get a week of deep winter including deep snow for a spell (however long) in December.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Always fun to wake up and read the “homicidal bitchin’ that goes down in every kitchen to determine who will serve and who will eat” (thank you Leonard Cohen).    We’re alive, the suns out on a beautiful snow pack.   Make the best of it!

Pretty much my take. Perspective is everything. 

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

In all seriousness I’m still having a lot of satisfaction from the last storm.  Not often in recent years do you get a week of deep winter including deep snow for a spell (however long) in December.

So far, I'd take last season over this year....the one big event didn't pork me.

Still some hope for January, but something needs to show up sooner rather than later IMO.

I will remember this as the "ghost pattern".....talk of SSW, and streams in sync so as to draw Feb 1978 and January 1996 comps....but then all of a sudden, some weenie poses the question to the science types of "which system are we watching here", and drops the mic.

Silent night.....

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Maybe he meant the huge meltdown as a xmas analog?

I knew when I saw his posts hyping the best east coast snow pattern since January, 1996, his forecast calling for a cold and snowy winter, and declaring La Niña dead and his bragging that “DTRex” had ended the streak of bad winters, it was the kiss of death....

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Thank you. It's so amusing the bridge jumpers at the first sign of no immediate flakes. Following the weather in southern New England for the last 43 years I've learned anything that falls before Christmas is a total bonus. It has been somewhat different the last so many years, but that's not the norm. It is an awesome landscape out there to enjoy right now...I think I'll take the long way home from work for the scenery.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

So far, I'd take last season over this year....the one big event didn't pork me.

Still some hope for January, but something needs to show up sooner rather than later IMO.

To me it was a no brainer but I got twice as much this year.  In the end our perceptions are always IMBY.   A lot of this bb hated Boxing Day 2010 but I loved my 18 inches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I knew when I saw his posts hyping the best east coast snow pattern since January, 1996, his forecast calling for a cold and snowy winter, and declaring La Niña dead and his bragging that “DTRex” had ended the streak of bad winters, it was the kiss of death....

should we maybe wait and see how this plays out over the next couple weeks?

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To me it was a no brainer but I got twice as much this year.  In the end our perceptions are always IMBY.   A lot of this bb hated Boxing Day 2010 but I loved my 18 inches.

Exactly.

Obviously the pattern is better this year, but I'm a bottom line kind of guy.

Who has the EPS  NAO data ?   :)   ...curious how our friends on the other side of the Atlantic screw job are lying ( or not ...) with this particular installment of back-stabbing blocking bullshit -

haha...

Seriously, though - I'm wonder if the EPS was ever selling what the GEFs have been, and continues to do so.  Last night's derivatives are even more concertedly and sloping more negative ... steadily declining down to -1 and change over the next week. And if it makes any sense the "attitude" of that trajectory appears suggestive of locking in that mode?  Which is kind of :arrowhead: to assume any (-)(+) NAO would ever lock in any mode, just sayn'

Anyway, recently I have been intrigued by the relative cyclonic motion between the upper and middle latitudes of the Hemisphere - subsequently, that constructive (positive) wave interference is more favored over destructive (negative).  I am baffled to see the operational models figurative ( seemingly literally!) going out of their way to impose destructive interference at all spaces and scales despite that ...  But, you know - I admitted there wasn't anything actually on the guidance at the time - although we have been flirting with this Dec 29 thing.

About that... the only thing that really limits that from phasing into a major player here is that as the N/stream descends eastern Manitoba up there, and the intermediate stream finish injecting that Pac wave through the Plains ...is the whole scaffolding of the circulation medium over western N/A refuses to ridge more... That is a very important large --> small scale positive feedback that is missing - despite the above concepts...  There are different forms of constructive ( destructive ) interference though - the R-wave structure is different than the subsume/ stream harmonics ... It's like we got one but are not getting enough of the other - interesting.

39 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Dude its only December

AO look great on the gefs

• Weenie 2

hearkens back to my hypothesis in late summer I was posting regarding the faster flows inherently interfering with NAO blocking regimes, too.

Seems a nice manifestation of something like that here -

The AO mode argues the PV is relaxed and that blocking should evolve... but something is preventing it from doing that.  It's like the PV is large, just not weak...