Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t have the index numbers but the hemispheric H5 pattern is about as staunchly pro-blocking in the NAO/AO region as I have seen it at this lead time since the 2010-2011 winter. Hard to get an ensemble mean this bullish out at 12-15 days. 

image.png.d104d895ebf848e5dc68a76f9ad0ee5d.png

image.png.02b98b8fd7028424ef3c44bfff84a1eb.png

what a massive signal

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t have the index numbers but the hemispheric H5 pattern is about as staunchly pro-blocking in the NAO/AO region as I have seen it at this lead time since the 2010-2011 winter. Hard to get an ensemble mean this bullish out at 12-15 days. 

image.png.d104d895ebf848e5dc68a76f9ad0ee5d.png

image.png.02b98b8fd7028424ef3c44bfff84a1eb.png

Looks great but we needs production. LR blocking prospects are like Byron Buxton for weenies. 

• Thanks 1

Multi ensemble signals for blocking are strong.

Hiked in the woods later this afternoon with my daughter and doggie.   My 12 and 1/2 year old Golden did surprisingly well!   So glad we were able to fix her ACL a year ago.   My daughter and I did well also!   Nice snow scene-wanted a lot of walking in it before it goes (hopefully temporarily).

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

thanks Dude -

Yeah.. . I wanted see this before making this point.  It's not exactly salient/novel or anything buuuut,.. the GFS solutions  as of late simply do not fit that signal - not from the EPS, nor its own GEFs' -derivatives regarding the NAO domain.

I don't even think the Euro operational run does very well either frankly - that 12z solution was a joke.  Actually worse than the GFS on that one run.

I'm talking about the D5 - 12 range.  Something's not right - doesn't add up.  tryin' to figure the f'er out

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

thanks Dude -

Yeah.. . I wanted see this before making this point.  It's not exactly salient/novel or anything buuuut,.. the GFS solutions  as of late simply do not fit that signal - not from the EPS, nor its own GEFs' -derivatives regarding the NAO domain.

I don't even think the Euro operational run does very well either frankly -

I'm talking about the D5 - 12 range.  Something's not right - doesn't add up.  tryin' to figure the f'er out

You sure?

1AD9AAA8-ADF1-4CB9-890F-FAAE3DDD3188.png

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

thanks Dude -

I don't even think the Euro operational run does very well either frankly - that 12z solution was a joke.  Actually worse than the GFS on that one run.

23B32181-66D5-453B-8EED-70DEFBBB7DD7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup, I'm sure ... the "operational" GFS does not look like it's own ensemble mean signal argues it should -

Why should the op look like it’s ensembles?  Or a better way of putting it is if it doesn’t look like the mean it’s likely an outlier member?

Anyway, this is sure a blocky look on the op also...

28A9F03A-234B-4AF3-B93D-0437EDF3C52C.png

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

23B32181-66D5-453B-8EED-70DEFBBB7DD7.png

I just don't get how competitive the operational version are being against their own ensemble means - very bizarre ...

That 12z Euro ( oper ) version cannot happen in that without some rare large scale anomaly - usually a comet impact!  lol...no, but maybe if the NAO was exceptionally E-based, but given that position in the mean, it's not...So, it's got to be a pretty dramatic whole-scale systemic outlier...

But the GFS is violating principles here in a different way altogether. It's opting to deconstruct blocking and just making it a top heavy subtropical ridge ... I 'guess' anything is possible -

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Why should the op look like it’s ensembles?  Or a better way of putting it is if it doesn’t look like the mean it’s likely an outlier member?

Anyway, this is sure a blocky look on the op also...

28A9F03A-234B-4AF3-B93D-0437EDF3C52C.png

Firstly ...not really re the 'blocky' - that's so far E it's almost outside of the NAO domain space ...and in fact, that massive SPV eclipsing from the west is so deep it's likely pulling any EOF calculation positive.  But I'm glad you posted this polar stereographic view ..because it partially explains now how/why it manages to rip all S/W east of the Maritimes at a high latitude that is anti-climate for -NAOs ...  It's not an NAO because of the hugely skewed typology there...

As to the other,  who said it has to look like anything - ...the argument is posed in concept, that when it doesn't ...it comes into question whether it can be right against the weight of all those ensemble members that thicken the means mass.  

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

thanks Dude -

Seems like the blocking isn’t really robust until after New Years. It’s around but not going gangbusters until that 1/1 system passes. 

Btw that trough that is responsible for the 1/1 system looks ridiculous. Where’s the Hadley cell when you need it? Lol, that thing is digging into Cabo SanLucas

image.png.521393791cc87130b76458ee5f8b5b03.png

Even the ensemble mean is pretty aggressive. 

image.png.a102a07976bd9158e0dac2b0878f057e.png

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Seems like the blocking isn’t really robust until after New Years. It’s around but not going gangbusters until that 1/1 system passes. 

Btw that trough that is responsible for the 1/1 system looks ridiculous. Where’s the Hadley cell when you need it? Lol, that thing is digging into Cabo SanLucas

Even the ensemble mean is pretty aggressive. 

I think/thought it was earlier than that last week's guidance envelopment; Christmas cutter contributing..but ...  winter enthusiasts should hope two things don't happen:

1) ... this turns into an always on D9 chart and it fails to get into short 'verifiable' terms  ( until May 13 of course!)

2) ... it surges into dominance so strong that it's suppression madness.  We want -1 NAO's in the mean that fluctuated around  3-5 day periodicity toward positive before collapsing - right in there is the Willy Wonka gold ticket.   Not sure about the current PNA --> PNAP variation either - this things starting to chap my nerves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What did Feb of ‘10 look like? Similar? Or more so?  Cuz we might as well have been on the moon up here...nothing was getting up in here with that Uber block back then.  

Blocking can be fun here...bring some, but not massive blocking. 

I lived in Delaware during the 2009/10 winter...it was fun down there, not sure about up here