Total Members
    Most Online
    UniversesBelowNormal
    Newest Member
    UniversesBelowNormal
nj2va

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

Just now, nj2va said:

Looks really pretty outside.  HERPADERPS may just score a coup. 

Yeah.  If we can keep this up for 3 or 4 hours we should do really well.  

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

How much snow to date? 

21.75”. 

my parents are in CT and my dad is a snow weenie and he’s taking it pretty well.

Just now, wxtrix said:

21.75”. 

my parents are in CT and my dad is a snow weenie and he’s taking it pretty well.

I just cracked 20". Regression was about due. Not bad there, probably aren't done after today either. 

• Like 2

Lost my heavy snow band. Just evaporated. Back to light snow. Looks like good returns building to the southwest.

First snow plow came through about 10 minutes ago and the road is already covered again.  Flake size not as large as it was about 30 minutes ago, but it is still pouring snow in Haymarket.  Definitely nearing 3 inches, but will measure at top of the hour.

I just cracked 20". Regression was about due. Not bad there, probably aren't done after today either. 

I was in Quincy yesterday and they were unhappy with the lack of snow. Looked like a nice snow just happened though

i hope there’s more for both of us to come!

• Like 1

East of her though, and north of I 70, we are still well below climo. I'm at around 11".

• Like 1

Just did a fun measurement with the kitchen scale - put out a large plate and measured 52 grams in 15 minutes. Dividing by the area of the plate gives a mass change of 0.34 g/hr/cm^2 which is 3.4 mm/hr, close to what some of the mesos were predicting in the narrow bands. Fun stuff. 

eta: Just measured 2" on the ground here in Wheaton. Pretty impressive consdiering first flakes were a little more than a hour ago. My bar of 3" looks like it will easily be met.

• Like 10

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

I was in Quincy yesterday and they were unhappy with the lack of snow. Looked like a nice snow just happened though

Almost 6". Looks great finally. Maybe a couple more tonight.

• Like 1

to all of my fellow snow weenies in Towson  Whitemarsh and Parkville, hang in there! Snow is coming. I know you guys are prob shitting bricks up there without any precip yet. It’s coming! I do however fear they may only get 3-4” with the best lift being to their SW. Sadly, this comes with the territory. 1-2” per hour rates falling in MoCo HoCo means sinking air is happening somewhere as a result - in this case; E/NE/ sections of the CWA. 

Skinsfan jackpot. Called it the other day. You will absolutely hit 8-10”

• Like 1

Here in Parkville I'm walking my dog and one of my neighbors was on their porch and said "Wasn't this supposed to start at 7?!" More than just the weenies are getting restless lol

Just now, GEOS5ftw said:

Just did a fun measurement with the kitchen scale - put out a large plate and measured 52 grams in 15 minutes. Dividing by the area of the plate gives a mass change of 0.34 g/hr/cm^2 which is 3.4 mm/hr, close to what some of the mesos were predicting in the narrow bands. Fun stuff. 

What did this guy just do? Still nothing in east Baltimore. This looks like NOVA storm 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

East of her though, and north of I 70, we are still well below climo. I'm at around 11".

I cannot believe that man! We are above 25” in Ellicott City. Just been a western CWA type of winter so far. I hope you guys fair well today!

• Like 1

For anyone worried about the “hole” to the south, that isn’t our problem from DC north.  The current radar and all the modeling indicates that the second round of precip is from the expansion/enhancement of the shield from the west.  The remaining question is whether that can get here in time to head off the sleet line (which is coming, but can be effectively slowed by heavier precip).

Ob:  Nice fat flakes falling.  Not pouring snow, but not exactly a lazy fall either.

• Like 1

Just now, jayyy said:

I cannot believe that man! We are above 25” in Ellicott City. Just been a western CWA type of winter so far. I hope you guys fair well today!

I work near Manor Hill and your snow has an impact on my workday, so it's all good!