Sign in to follow this  
Bob Chill

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Can confirm the death band. moco to HoCo getting womped on right now. It’s snowing so hard out there. 

CONGRATS! This, is a very very good time for a nice, leisurely jebwalk.

You know its good when you gotta walk backwards against the snow because you can't even see where you're going.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Moco is getting raked. Radar looks like yellow french fries 

Can definitely confirm that. Went on a 30 min walk and it's just pouring snow, my hair stood no match.. must've had like a half inch accumulate on it by the time I got back home.

I measured something like 8.5 inches on the grass near a local road so I think we had somewhere between 9 or 9.5'' so far correcting for compaction. 

4 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

When you all officially measure, do you measure, scrape, then measure later, and keep adding totals throughout the day?  I feel like it’s bedn snowing quite a while, but I still have just around 7.5. 

I sweep every 6 hours.

9.5" of compressed snow now and still dropping out of the sky! Will easily be able to pick up that extra half inch by the end of this storm and hit double digits!

More shoveling for me tomorrow morning. 1 shovel session this morning was enough haha

Screenshot_20190113-184608_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, yoda said:

@nj2va @mattie g

Those around me, how much do you have at 6pm?  I measured just over 8.5

Haven’t measured recently, but I had 7.75 as of 3:00.

Expecting I’m about done because I see being stuck in subsidence between the Montgomery County band and the one south of us. Great storm though.

• Like 1

Radar not as impressive over me right now but snow rates have not decreased.  A sign we still have decent dynamics even out this way.  Somewhere in HOCO/MOCO is going to Jack imo.

10.5" official. 4" since 3pm (very high ratio) and 10" sitting on all elevated hard surfaces. 

There are going to be double digit totals all over dc/nova/md burbs. Amazing. Want a foot...might happen

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

9.5" of compressed snow now and still dropping out of the sky! Will easily be able to pick up that extra half inch by the end of this storm and hit double digits!

More shoveling for me tomorrow morning. 1 shovel session this morning was enough haha

Screenshot_20190113-184608_Gallery.jpg

This was only a rehearsal, Leesburg. The Snow Gods went easy on the Mid Atlantic with this first snow.

This is going to be an EPIC Winter for the Mid Atlantic!

• Like 4

Just now, heavy_wx said:

Low-density fluff falling out there. Nice aggregates composed mainly of rimed dendrites.

aka perfect snow to accumulate fast.  Dumping right now.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Use a snowboard, measure the snow that accumulates on it periodically. After each measurement clean the board. After the storm is done, add em up.

Only every 6 hours, over 4 measurements in 24 hours is a no-no per NWS.

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

You did quite well considering you were happy with 2-4 just a few days ago! 

Afternoon moco death band(s) exceeded my wildest expectations. Incredible storm on all levels. Tracking for days and serious overperformance. Rare occurrence...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

aka perfect snow to accumulate fast.  Dumping right now.  

Good stuff. I've easily picked up a couple inches in the past two hours. I feel like every subsequent run of HRRR doesn't change amounts going forward.

It can’t be a bad sign heading into an even better pattern that the two serviceable windows this season have so efficiently given our subforum two 10”+ snowstorms. Richmond wasn’t locked in for their 11” heading into the event either. These are some juiced up storms.

• Like 3