Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Bob Chill

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

I hope so as well, but didnt you guys up north do well in the November storm?

It was good for November (just over 3" here), but the really good totals were further north and west.

I guess there are just a few of us left in the subforum who haven't had a warning criteria storm yet. Hopefully that will soon change.

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

7".  Pixie dust continues to fall, but hardly accumulating.  Giving the snow a sparkley blanket.

You might still get into this band as moves east. This afternoon has been something else. I was ready to call it at 5.3 inches. And be perfectly happy with that. And I am definitely over 8 now. Crazy.

We didn't finish very well here in eastern Prince William. Just came in from shoveling. Cold smoke this is not. Those hours of freezing drizzle and sleet made the snow compact like concrete. Only about 5 in on the paved driveway and walkway. The kind of snow that sticks to the shovel. Back-breaking actually. There was 7 inches on the vehicle and on elevated colder surfaces so my 7.25 looks about right. Very icy. 6.1 average ground depth. Nothing like the 10-12 many of you have. Congratulations!! Good stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

We didn't finish very well here in eastern Prince William. Just came in from shoveling. Cold smoke this is not. Those hours of freezing drizzle and sleet made the snow compact like concrete. Only about 5 in on the paved driveway and walkway. The kind of snow that sticks to the shovel. Back-breaking actually. There was 7 inches on the vehicle and on elevated colder surfaces so my 7.25 looks about right. Very icy. 6.1 average ground depth. Nothing like the 10-12 many of you have. Congratulations!! Good stuff. 

Congrats! Seven inches is an amazing total! Plus, you get to go out and watch people walking like a penguin on that ice!

I might have to write about the infamous ice jebwalk of 2004.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like I'm coming in a loser from this evening stuff. I'm in Baltimore but I've got nothing but the occasional flurries. My total has stood at 4.5 inches. It's looked like the heavy bands have been on my doorstep for hours but just aren't getting here. Does anyone know the last official measurements at BWI?

Just now, Steve25 said:

Looks like I'm coming in a loser from this evening stuff. I'm in Baltimore but I've got nothing but the occasional flurries. My total has stood at 4.5 inches. It's looked like the heavy bands have been on my doorstep for hours but just aren't getting here. Does anyone know the last official measurements at BWI?

Not sure but BWI should have been getting really good snow the past 3-4 hours. They should be over 8 and maybe hit double digits.

1 minute ago, Stormpc said:

That is what happened out my way, about 4 inches of snow, then about 2am it flipped to sleet that packed it down and about two hours of drizzle/snizzle. Heavy, heavy stuff to shovel. BUT, it is white and pretty! Been snowing lightly past 2 hours, coated everything back over, looks like another 0.3, but I'll measure here in a few.

Hit the 10.0" mark a short while ago when I last measured!  Still coming down but lighter.  Incredible finish to this event, I got nearly 4" since about 3:30PM.  Outside the Jan. 2016 blizzard (which is in a totally different class), this is easily the largest snowfall since Feb. 2014 in terms of accumulation at least.  And this one, unlike Feb. 2014, didn't involve a period of slop for part of it.

Here's a recent photo from this evening (thank goodness for image stabilized lenses! :))...

Snow20190113.thumb.JPG.43e7a02040206025a9278ca1da0573e8.JPG

• Like 6

Just now, Steve25 said:

I’m at 3.7. The throne is mine, usurper.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You might still get into this band as moves east. This afternoon has been something else. I was ready to call it at 5.3 inches. And be perfectly happy with that. And I am definitely over 8 now. Crazy.

Euro nailed the band out there. Underdid qpf but placement was perfect. 

Euro well with qpf leading in. Was showing .65 iad/.70 dca/.50 bwi (going off memory). Not bad at all.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic