Bob Chill

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Alright folks. Locked and loaded with few if any worries. Hope the southern folks get more snow than ice. Ground is frozen and ready to get dumped on. Streets in the western zones will cave with the first flakes. 

*measure honestly. No slant sticks or "eyeballing a foot".

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Beautiful evening. I could see the first sign of high clouds way off to the west at sunset. I'm definitely ready for the wee..I mean cold smoke storm tomorrow night. Sunday morning is going to be a beauty. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Where's the snow?  Nothing.  Bust. 

Snokone, or whatever his name is, was right.

Don't interrupt SnowCoke, he's outside with his blowdryer heating up his measuring spot.

28F and dropping here in Warrenton.

• Haha 5

Fridge is stocked with so much beer that it should last through next weekends bombogenesis. And probably the one after that. Let’s go! :drunk:

OBS. It’s a beautiful star filled night. Cold and crisp. 30 degrees. Feels like a storm is coming soon to a theater near you. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

30/15

Dry air. Virgafest coming? 

18z EURO 1hr radar (see other thread) shows that precip might struggle to get going for a little while. With these one-hour radars you can predict weenie suicides down to the hour, it's amazing.

• Haha 3

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

18z EURO 1hr radar (see other thread) shows that precip might struggle to get going for a little while. With these one-hour radars you can predict weenie suicides down to the hour, it's amazing.

I was trolling but yes there will be some virga and the models account for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I was trolling but yes there will be some virga and the models account for that.

Soundings at 18z look pretty good. Before onset the column is saturated down to 925mb. Surface winds are out of the south turning se then e. Def going to be hallucinations but one of the nice things about waa precip like this is moisture in the mids is steady streaming in well before onset. Clippers are the worst with "wasting snow"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Are we doing 00z model disco here too?

Good question... it doesnt matter either way. Obs at this point are only temp, dews, and how cloudy your clouds are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4